PDA

View Full Version : Baby changing table

Scott Parks
01-15-2005, 11:49 AM
I remember there was a thread from last week looking for ideas for a baby changing table. Well, I got a new digital camera this week (stealth gloat). So Here's a couple pics of MY interpretation of a baby chaning table. I made this when my son was born, but now it is mostly a toy / game cabinet. This design proved to be very functional. The drawers stored diapers and wipes, and the cabinet stored surpluss diapers, blankets, and baby stuff. We had a sheepskin in the top for comfort. The sides are tall enough to keep baby from rolling out...

The idea came from plans from a Norm Abram book. He designed a Shaker washstand. I made it wider with two doors and drawers, instead of one. The top is pine and the sides are flared out 5*. All corners are dovetailed. This was a very complicated setup to cut. I cut all the pins on my tablesaw with a box joint jig, and my miter gauge at 15*. I used my Craftsman Excaliber dado for this. The tails were cut with a 9" delta bandsaw. The front of the carcasse is also pine. I used the dado blade and a homemade jig to raise the panels. The drawers are also dovetailed, but hard to see in the picture.

Silas Smith
01-15-2005, 4:57 PM
That looks like a very nice piece for your nursery. It is a little different, but I love the dovetails and the fit of the doors looks just right. I am sure no baby is going to roll out of that! By the way, you advice on the DJ-20 problem was appreciated, but now my house burned down! I actually got it changed over to 110 and it works great.

Scott Parks
01-15-2005, 5:32 PM
By the way, you advice on the DJ-20 problem was appreciated, but now my house burned down! I actually got it changed over to 110 and it works great.
I hope you're kidding... Glad that your jointer works great on 110v anyway.

Jim Becker
01-15-2005, 6:18 PM
Scott, I really like how you adapted the dry sink for this purpose. I'll likely be doing on of these things later in the year for a friend, assuming she achieves her pregnancy goal, and will be doing something with the "tray", too. Great job!

Jerry Olexa
01-16-2005, 11:58 AM
Scott good idea of adapting and making it good looking and functional...