PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Porter-Cable router gloat

shane lyall
02-03-2011, 8:11 PM
I'm a long time reader and new poster so I bet I get a few "you suck" replys! I was at Lowe's today for some sandpaper and, as usual, I took a trip thru the tools. They had the 980 P-C's marked down from $259 to $93.54! On top of that they only had 1 left and it was missing the 1/2 inch collet so the salesman said I could have it for half the clearance price! I nearly broke his arm jerking the router out of his hands!! I got the fixed and plunge base with it also and all for $46.62. I ordered the collet for $14 bucks online tonight.

Btw. I love the site. I've been w.w.ing for 20 years and learn something new almost every time I log in.

Chris Nolin
02-03-2011, 8:20 PM
Fantastic deal, Shane! But as a long time reader you should know that, absent any photographic evidence of the ALLEGED great deal, we can only say "nice find" and not the coveted words you seek. :) Welcome to the Creek!

shane lyall
02-03-2011, 8:29 PM
I thought about that actually! I just haven't played around with the site enough yet to learn how. I'm going to upload some projects and an avitar in a bit and I'll include it then. I may even make a walnut or chery fram for the price sticker! LOL! Well, I guess that may be a little much! I am happy with the deal and have the heat on in the shop so I can go test drive my new toys soon as it warms up a bit

hank dekeyser
02-03-2011, 9:46 PM
After letting the smoke out of 2 of the "new and improved" 890 series, I wouldn't get out of my truck to pick one up off the street. The old style is bulletproof by comparissom IMHO -
2 cents

Chip Lindley
02-04-2011, 12:09 AM
After letting the smoke out of 2 of the "new and improved" 890 series, I wouldn't get out of my truck to pick one up off the street. The old style is bulletproof by comparissom IMHO -
2 cents

Sadly, you took the words right out of my mouth. Now if it was a P-C 690, that would be a WOW gloat from the "git-go"! We sure hope it works for you.

Michael MacDonald
02-04-2011, 12:29 AM
HD was clearing their 892's for the 99 price for a while. but the plunge base plus the 1/2 off gets you the blue ribbon.

shane lyall
02-04-2011, 12:32 AM
This router is an upgrade to my 5 year old Ryobi. I use a handheld with dovetail jig and a few things too big for my shaper like tabletops. With limited use it should last even if it isn't the best on the market. I played a little while tonight and so far it's a good little router.

Dave MacArthur
02-04-2011, 3:51 AM
Wow! Great snag, congrats! I heard about this sale about two weeks ago, I called every Lowe's in the city looking for a store that still had the package set of 890... couldn't find one.

So last night, I broke down and bought the DeWalt 618 package deal... not a smoking deal like yours, but I'm glad that someone got the deal, even if not me! Good luck, hope you enjoy the router.

Rich Engelhardt
02-04-2011, 6:35 AM
ok - you suck :D !

Under $50.00 for any 1/2" router is a steal.
Double so if it has fixed and plunge bases.

If I wasn't Jonesing for a Milwaukee 5625 and/or one of the new DeWalt trim routers, I could be real tempted to pick up another in-between-er like an 890...

Chris Tsutsui
02-04-2011, 7:56 AM
I saw the Porter Cable 896PK, which is the 2.25hp PC router with plunge and fixed base.

Lowes Ontario had it on sale for $154 for a while, but nobody was buying any. Then they marked it down to $77 and everybody started buying them.

I debated on getting one, but the new PC routers have been getting mixed reviews on Amazon and I have my heart set on a festool router that has dust collection.

I'm still waiting for Lowes to close out all their black friday stocking stuffers which they havn't discounted them any furthar since January.

Bill Huber
02-04-2011, 1:59 PM
I'm a long time reader and new poster so I bet I get a few "you suck" replys!

Now if you would have read those post a little closer...

No Pictures, DIDN'T HAPPEN.

and yes You Suck.....

I sure hope it is better then what has been stated so far.