PDA

View Full Version : Spalted sycamore HF

Bill Hensley
02-03-2011, 7:57 PM
I got this piece of wood in a swap with a friend. First sycamore I've turned and I want more. The wood really went dark and I love the colors that popped once I started putting the finish on it.

The finial started out longer put I snapped the end off as I tried to do a final tweak to it. Oh well, I just went with it because it was glued in and I didn't want to start another lid for it. I'm satisfied with it for now, may revisit it again later.

Jack Camillo
02-03-2011, 9:21 PM
Wow, love the colors. Nice work.

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2011, 9:27 PM
Nicely done Bill. The wood is beautiful.

Baxter Smith
02-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Too bad about the finial. Love the combination of colors!

Linda Persoon
02-03-2011, 11:23 PM
I'm liking the form, the finish, and it is sweet piece of sycamore - plenty of color. Also like the shape of the lid.

Would you have to start over with the lid or could you remove part or all of the existing finial and set in a new one. Just a thought. I just hate when I damage a nearly completed form.

Richard Madden
02-04-2011, 12:30 AM
That's a beautiful piece of sycamore. I like the shape, and I think the lid/finial look good as is.

Dan Forman
02-04-2011, 1:19 AM
Beautiful wood and a nice form. Too bad about the finial.

Dan

John Keeton
02-04-2011, 6:46 AM
Bill, spalted sycamore can be a real treat! Sycamore, without spalting or some other figure, is rather plain, but does turn well.

This form is worth another run. Can't you rechuck the lid, turn off the finial and drill a slight hole where it was for a new finial? I think it would be worth the effort.

Bill Hensley
02-04-2011, 6:51 AM
Thanks to all. I struggled with the shape of the lid the night before. I turned it through 3 different profiles before I settled on the final shape. The finial was a practice finial I had turned from a chestnut scrap. When I placed it on the lid I thought with a little reshaping it would work but it was too brittle. Too late, it was glued. So it ended up being more knob than finial.

Linda - yes, it would be quicker to start over than try to salvage the lid.

John - just saw your comment, that is a very good suggestion for a fix. Thanks!