PDA

View Full Version : Wood Works 2005, Springfield, MA

Matthew Dworman
01-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Hi Guys,
Hopefully some of you had a chance to make it over to Wood Works yesterday or are doing so this weekend. I went yesterday and had a great time. In addition to checking out all the "newest" tools, I got to spend some time with Frank Klausz, talking about woodworking; Hung out with Christopher Schwartz for a while talking about tools and upcoming articles in Popular Woodworking. Got to pick up a new LN plane from Clarence at the Fine Tool Journal. Learned some interesting things seeing hands on demonstrations of French polishing, marquetry, turning, handsaws, chairmaking, dovetailing, and lots of fun stuff. I took a "seminar" with Harry Memelink from New Zealand learning how to turn hollow vessels with natural edges - that was very interesting as well. I entered my mirror frame into the Gallery competition and walked away with the Blue Ribbon for first prize.........it certainly didn't hurt that I was the only entry for the "gallery". The show producer told me that they had over 85 entries at the last show....Anyway - I had a great time and recomend it to anyone within a couple hours driving distance.
Matt

Ken Fitzgerald
01-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Uh....Matthew.......you won a prize.....uh....where's the pics?.....Tyler...Chris.....another "hidden" "pictureless" gloat! :eek: :rolleyes: :D Congrats Matthew! :D

Matthew Dworman
01-15-2005, 2:41 PM
Here you go Ken!
http://home.comcast.net/~mdworman/images/mirror6.jpg

I'm supposed to e-mail the show producer this week because I supposedly won "some Lee-Valley planes" :D and this then goes on to compete against the other shows that they have done for a grand prize of a MiniMax 16" Bandsaw:eek: :eek: (keeping my fingers crossed on that one!)
Matt

Jim Becker
01-15-2005, 2:57 PM
Matt, Jonathan is a member here at SMC...nice fellow. Contrats on the ribbon!!! May you win that saw...it's awesome... ;)

John Dingman
01-15-2005, 5:35 PM
Congratulations Matt!

And for what it's worth, I think you would have taken first even if there had been other entries. That carving of yours is Top Shelf!

John

Lou Morrissette
01-16-2005, 3:54 PM
Matt,

Congratulations on winning the blue. Awesome carving. I was at the show Saturday and realy enjoyed it. By far, Frank Klausz was the highlight of the show. I had never seen anyone do dovetails like he can and make it look so easy. Very inspiring. Did you catch the guy in the corner carving drums? He did some pretty interesting stuff.
All in all I thought the show was a great way to spend a Saturday. Well worth the 21/2 hour drive. Good luck on winning the saw.

Lou