PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw wheel covers.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

John Coloccia
02-03-2011, 6:22 PM
I've had my G0514X2 for a while now. I have no real complaints about performance, guides, etc. You know what my major complaint is? Why oh why are the wheel covers hinged so that they have to open 180 degrees in order to change the blade? The most natural place for me to put this thing is jutting out 90 degrees to the wall but I can't because the doors won't open far enough and they completely block the blade unless they're open all the way.

Surely there's a better way of designing these things,no? I don't think it's specific to my Grizzly. I've seen others like this too. I can't be the only one that's not happy. Is this really so difficult to engineer into a bandsaw? WAAAAHHHHHHHH!

*composing myself*

So seriously, does anyone have a solution for this? It's really not that big of a deal but I'm reorganizing my shop and I would love for this to no longer be an impediment. I'm looking for something simple. There are so many clever people here, I'm sure someone's figured something out by now :)

glenn bradley
02-03-2011, 6:38 PM
I open the doors 90* and lift them off. No worries. I do agree that it would be sweet if the whole side opened up as one piece and made a clear opening like some other machines. It would save me from leaning over to set them down ;-)

John Coloccia
02-03-2011, 6:44 PM
You mean just...?

uhm....

and they just lift right....?

Hold on a sec....

:::sigh:::

Yes, mine just lift right off too. I don't know whether to be happy the problem is solved or annoyed that I never noticed that.

Thanks Glenn! :D

Van Huskey
02-03-2011, 7:46 PM
Glad you have a solution John. But the engineers do know how to design a door, they just design them for shops (unlike most of ours) with adequate access 360 degrees around the saw.

Chris Ricker
02-03-2011, 9:09 PM
THE DOORS LIFT OFF???

Ugh, they do.

well, you could always spend the extra $70 on a mobile base like I did.
Ya learn something new every day.
Now where is that instruction manual I was gonna read?
LOL
CR

Mike Cruz
02-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Glenn, you ruined EVERYTHING!!!!! I was going to make John a much happier man by taking that evil BS off his hands. I wasn't even going to charge him for it. I would have done it for free. Because that's the kind of helping guy I am...