PDA

View Full Version : per chance

Michael Perata
01-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Does anyone see the irony in Jerry's thread title "Rand Moss ....again" juxtiposed by Tim"s "Unofficial Football Pool"?

Maybe not.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Michael....maybe I don't understand the irony......I've long been a football fan and my wife's extreme fondness for baseball has been rubbing off on me. I would hope a fan can enjoy and appreciate the game and still be critical of it?

Michael Perata
01-15-2005, 3:52 PM
Ken

The irony that I was attempting to point out was, the flak that Randy Moss and his derriere waving caused (annoying but nothing more) vs. the psuedo betting (illegal, betting not psuedo being illegal) and the real pain the latter can and does cause.

The irony being the acceptance of the latter and the rancor caused by the former.

Tim Morton
01-15-2005, 4:09 PM
The 10k fine handed down by the NFL, would suggest that RM broke some kind of rule, making it more than just annoying. I on the other hand posted my topic just to give people who wanted to a chance to have a little fun...I assure you there is no money changing hands :D

Michael Perata
01-15-2005, 4:19 PM
Tim

Please excuse me if you thought I was implying your post was asking for money - it was not.

OTH - There are estimates that over $1 Billion Dollars will be bet over the next couple of weekends on NFL football play-off games. $10K pales in comparison.

Also, be assured the NFL gives only lip service when it "discourages" betting on its games. The NFL would fail if it weren't for legitimate sport books and illegitimate football pools/bets.

That's the irony.

Jerry Olexa
01-15-2005, 4:31 PM
Michael: Considering Tim Morton's football "pool" to be illegal is a bit of a stretch. In my judgment, he is an avid sports fan and wanted to provide an opportunity to have some fun, use our knowledge to speculate on winners, etc. It is innocent and well intentioned and of course, NO $ will change hands. I myself found humor in the RM thread followed by the sports pool. To me, it demonstrates our love/hate relationship with sports. We, generally, love the games but hate the monsters and greed that accompany it..IMHO