PDA

View Full Version : I would pay good money for someone to organize my shop!

John Coloccia
02-03-2011, 5:30 PM
Ever just look around your shop and wish you could pay someone to just come in and organize it? Build whatever shelfs and cabinets you need built, and just get it all done?

I know if I had to go into someone else's shop and do it, I could, but for the life of me I just can't seem to get it done in my own shop. I'm constantly in a state cleaning/reorganizing. Maybe that's just the normal state of affairs...I don't know.

Maybe we need to organize a "shop intervention" task force. 10 people show up, tear the shop apart, make me throw out what I don't need, and then reassemble it in some sort of logical fashion. There's got to be a TLC or History channel show in here somewhere.

"Reorganizing John's shop. Uhm, er....History in the making!"

Victor Robinson
02-03-2011, 5:58 PM
Sounds like a pretty fun TV show. I know I'd watch! Sort of like Yard-crashers or Bath-crashers. Shop-crashers. Assault a guy at HD shopping for pegboard organizers...

PS. I could use the help as well.

Joe Angrisani
02-03-2011, 6:50 PM
John.... If I come help, do I get to keep anything I decide should be, uh, thrown out? :p

Dan Stratton
02-03-2011, 6:54 PM
How much good money? :D

Seriously though, there is an interesting idea. Or even better, a trade. You organize my shop, I organize yours. More responsibility and accountability = it probably gets done. :-)

I organized my shop when my wife got tired of hearing me complain and came out to help me. Then I HAD to do it.

Joe A Faulkner
02-03-2011, 7:28 PM
... I know if I had to go into someone else's shop and do it, I could, but for the life of me I just can't seem to get it done in my own shop. ..."

Where do I send the plane ticket? :)
Actually, I think I'm in the home stretch of the shop remodel that started last February. In other words, it will be another year or two before I get to building those shop cabinets. Hopefully by March, I will atleast pitch the scraps of pink rigid foam.

Alan Lightstone
02-03-2011, 8:20 PM
I've been working on mine for a solid year straight, and I never seem to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Neil Bosdet
02-03-2011, 8:30 PM
I planned a shop in my new house and moved in 11 months ago. The shop is there, or should I say, the tools are there. What a disaster. Couldn't get motivated to sort it out. It was too far out of control. Finally, after the holidays I started. I'm almost complete now. What a stress relief. I'm motivated to do things again. I'll post some photos when I'm done. I didn't take any photos of the before situation. I'd rather forget.

Chip Lindley
02-03-2011, 8:51 PM
Hmm...If we were to surprise one of those "professional organizers" at home...would their abode have a place for everything, and everything in it's place? I wonder!?! All too often it's much more interesting to tend to other people's business than our own. Especially if it Pays!

John Coloccia
02-03-2011, 9:27 PM
My shop is just barely organized enough that I can get real work done. I just can't easily get real work done. I don't know how I live with it, but I do. I must have 15 tape measures kicking around. I don't even use a tape that much, but there's never one when I need it and they're cheap enough I just buy another one. I just bought an old Starrett at a show for $5. I've already lost it.

It's like that with everything. I have a small shop. You'd think there's nowhere for anything to hide, but believe me there's PLENTY of room for everything in the shop as I can't ever seem to find anything. I need to figure a way to organize it somehow.

You should have seen it when I moved all my equipment from one end to the other, including the dust collection. WHAT A DISASTER. It took 2 weeks to recover from that!

Aaron Berk
02-03-2011, 10:00 PM
This is such a SPOT ON topic!

I'm in the exact same boat John. In fact, I just came in from the shop. I was doing some sanding on a table project.

I kept tripping over "stuff" and was getting real ticked off about it.

So I organized a 4sq foot area, but you would never be able to tell.

And by Monday it will be a TOTAL disaster again, and not just a small catastrophe.

I find myself looking to fix small storage problems, and not looking at the clutter problem as a whole.

It's too overwhelming to think about a "total shop makeover" but I'd pay good money as well.

Where do I sign up at?

Thomas Canfield
02-03-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm not posting any pictures of my shop - but, I am trying to make some headway in getting organized. I wish I had given more thought about my projects when setting up the shop. Getting a lathe (now up to a Powermatic 3520) really did fill up the shop, and then there is all the wood to go with the lathe. Send me the name of the organizer if you ever find one.

Brian Kent
02-03-2011, 10:28 PM
I hear you. I moved last August, moved the big tools in December and the organizing and arranging is sooooo slooooow. At least some of it is done and I have interesting projects ahead to keep the motivation up.

John Coloccia
02-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Well, my wife just read through this thread. We're heading down there with some Ouzo (actually, we're out of Ouzo but it will be accompanying us, if you know what I mean), a pad of paper and a pen...or pencil or something. LOL.

Anyhow, I'll take before and after pics. The goal for the night is to decide what goes where. The goal for tommorow is for me to take my list, go to the BORG (oh how I hate to do that) and grab everything I need, and then to come home and implement the list.

I'll be posting before and after pics...sort of putting my money where my mouth is. I figure that if I post pictures, and promise more pictures, there's no backing out or getting lazy.

Let's see how this works out.

Mike Cruz
02-03-2011, 11:42 PM
John, I feel you, man...I really do.

A little story... When we built out our horse barn, it was a joint effort. We collaborated on ideas. After all, she's the horse person, not me. But, since I was doing the work, I would come up with suggestions. I have to say it turned out awesome! My wife repeatedly stops in the midst of scrambling through the barn, and utters, "I have the best barn ever!"

The other day, she asked me why my shop wasn't likewise a collaboration. My immediate thought was that, well, it is my shop and I am doing the work...so... Ok, I got the stinkeye pretty quickly. Apparently, that "thought" was verbalized. Anyway, she wondered why I never asked her to help organize the shop. I half heartedly, reluctantly, appeasingly invited her into the shop about a week later to see what "ideas" she had for my shop. If there was a shameful font that I could type in right now, I'd be doing it. She came up with so many places to hang cabinets, put shelves, and fit storage containers, that my shop seems twice as big to me. I see all the potential. AND, I'm taking her up on her ideas. I immediately hit CL and found a bunch of cheap oak front cabinets and started hanging them. I've already put up 6. I need another 5 or so. I have to build shelves and make roll away storage containers. I'm actually excited about the prospects of having a place for everything and everything in its place.

The shop has been a disaster area. I haven't been "creating" in it because I've been working ON it for so long. I look forward to it being in order within the next month, so projects can get started. A big public THANK YOU to my wife is in order. I've already said it to her, but she deserves more recognition.

On another note, I've invited fellow Creekers over time and time again when they are designing their shops. I encourage them to see as many shops as they can...to come up with a plan that will work for them. What I should have been doing all along is picking their brains for organizational ideas. An outside set of eyes can look past all that the resident eyes miss.

Brad Gobble
02-04-2011, 12:12 AM
During a seasonal lull at work I started chipping away at my own disaster. Amazing how deep of a pile of nonsense can become in a small 18x18 shop. Not sure what got me started, but after the first few feet of victory I put a hard push on, culminating in a 10 hr, mid-week, beer fueled push that brought me to done (clean!) just before the holidays. Maintaining momentum I started building cabinets for my shop and her sewing room, steaming through the new year at fever pitch. The result: I can WORK in here now. Not only have all of the cabinets put me back in the game but my it has put my professional day into perspective as well. No long nights, weekend document reviews, or early morning con calls overseas. I get more done now between 9 and 5 because I can't wait to get in the shop and fiddle with stuff, make some sawdust, or just have a cold one and grin. I still have a hundred more projects in the house and yard, but it does feel so very good to get where I am.

I"m starting a proper cabinet maker's bench soon and am replacing my door and small window with french doors (outswing!) so I can enjoy the summer, plane in hand, kids in the yard, and the world in proper order. Man's gotta have his cave sorted out to make that wheel round!

Lee Schierer
02-04-2011, 8:14 AM
I struggled with the same problem. I laid it out on paper and couldn't get a good solution. My DIL looked at it and came up with a really good layout that I now use.

Darrin Vanden Bosch
02-04-2011, 9:24 AM
The thing is if I organize now I'll never find anything, you know the old saying
a place for everything and everything in its place.

David Giles
02-04-2011, 10:14 AM
You might notice that few people make a living organizing other folk's things, despite an obvious need to do so. That's because your work space reflects your personality, mindset and thought processes. Another person can organize it once, but it rarely sticks because it isn't "you". However, there are a couple of suggestions that you can implement in your own personal style:
1. You are the most important tool in the shop. Make spaces for you to stand, walk and work. Everything else is potential storage.
2. Toss it out. You know what I'm talking about (even if I don't). Just get rid of it once and for all.
3. Finish it. Complete those old projects that are 90% done.
4. Do it again next month. Psychological changes take time to get used to the "new layout" and to come up with ideas for the next step.

John Coloccia
02-04-2011, 10:59 AM
As promised, here's a walkthrough of the shop. Ellen was kind enough to give me an evaluation of my "problem" areas. I have commitments tomorrow, but I will be working all day today and Sunday to get it back under control.

Here's part one, the main shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHVb-qFaU3c

Part two is what was my office/thinking space. We had to rearrange some things and this turned into a holding area for junk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wow_QE2b6c

Hopefully on Sunday night I will post part three, Ellen's updated evaluation. There's no turning back now.

So after giggling for a bit with the videos, we actually did some real work and came up with a plan of attack. The basic plan is to hit the furnace room first to make some room for bikes, planes and things. Then misc. stuff, like jackets and chairs, end up in the attic. Desk comes apart. Monitor goes somewhere. Etc etc....get everything off the floor is the goal. From there, I can start reorganizing as I'll have plenty of floor space to work with. Maybe I'll even build or bring in a another bench. We'll see. Stay tuned :)

Dave Anderson NH
02-04-2011, 1:11 PM
I, like probably everyone else, know my shop is not the optimum configuration or perfectly organized. I think that unless one starts out with a virgin space and designs it from the start to be a shop, a shop evolves over time and not always in an organized fashion. There is a tendency to make the quick fix to get through the current crisis and this repeats itself over and over through time until we have a "completed" shop. The other thing we face is our inability to see the forest for the trees. After looking at your shop a thousand times you see what you expect to see and you develop a set of mental rules about why something can or can not move to a different area, about why something will or will not work, and a series of other mental tricks you play on yourself. John has already taken the single most important step to redeveloping his shop. He brought in a fresh set of eyes that lacked preconceived ideas.

I have been fortunate over the years in that I belong to an active woodworking guild and many of the meetings have been in other woodworker's shops. I have NEVER gone into someone's shop and not come out with at least one good idea which I was able to use or adapt for my own use. If there is any chance at all, network and look at as many other setups as you can arrange the time to visit. Couple this with someone coming to your shop and challenging your assumptions about why this or that can or can not be done and you have a great start toward redevelopment.

It is an article of faith in our NH guild that everyone from the rankest beginner to the oldest master has both something to teach and something to learn.

John Coloccia
02-04-2011, 1:46 PM
Dave: what my wife really brought to the table was the idea that I really don't need the office space anymore. It looks lie that's turning into my main work area, and the rest of the shop is my power tool area. That makes sense from a space standpoint, and also from a human standpoint. I'd much rather spend most of my day in an intimate studio than a full blown workshop.

I probably wouldn't have thought of that on my own as I always thought about that second space (the smaller disaster area in video #2) as office space, and never as woodworking space.

David Giles
02-04-2011, 2:06 PM
She sounds pretty bright, quite organized and has a vested interest in the project. I'd delete the SMC thread and just listen to her.

Does she know that you are willing to pay someone to help organize your shop? Can we let her know and suggest a rate sheet?

Dave Anderson NH
02-04-2011, 2:31 PM
John, While I think of myself as a Neander, I still have and use the full complement of power tools. My basement shop is divided into a machine room and a bench room. The machine room is smaller than the bench room and most of the equipment is on mobile bases and is rolled around as needed. The only fixed location machines are the drill press and the lathe. My bench room is the emotional and intellectual nerve center of my shop. Here I have a woodstove, my glass doored bookcases of woodworking books and magazines, and all of my hand tools. It houses my main workbench, my 24" x 48" sharpening bench, the 30" x 78" assembly and dirty job bench, a saw bench, and all of my finishes. I also have my drawing implements, laptop, and a couple of chairs in the room. In effect, it is my office, at least as far as woodworking is concerned and there is no question it is my main work space. I do suffer from what I alluded to in my earlier post, a shop which evolved over 21 years. If I was starting with a fresh slate things would be organized differently based on the information available here on what others have done and based on what I have seen on visits to friends shops. On the whole though I am very satisifed with what I have. A few years ago Sue asked me if I would like to build a free standing shop behind the house. I chose not to based on convenience. Why build a separate building you have to heat and cool, shovel a path to in the winter snow, pay taxes on, and put on boots and a jacket to visit in the winter. Right now I can sit watching TV, go downstairs in my sweats and slipper to throw a coat of shellac on something, and be back in front of the tube by the end of the commercials. I have plenty of natural light with 5 double hung windows, and at night artificial lighting takes care of things. My shop is far from perfect in organization or the amount of space available, but it is comfortable and far more than adequate.

bill schmoott
02-04-2011, 2:42 PM
John, I watched your shop video and laughed quite a bit. I went into my shop and saw a lot of the same type things. (stuff just sitting, taking up aisle/access/bench space) etc., that just needs to be put away after use. I would in this case just listen to your wife. It sounds like she has some great ideas. I would die to have half the space that you have. My entire workshop is probably just a little bit bigger than your office. Which I saw to be a great finishing room if you could figure out a way to ventilate it. Good luck and hope to see a video once you are finished.

Maurice Ungaro
02-04-2011, 4:23 PM
John, you're lucky. My wife would never allow me to take over that much space.

Dave Houseal
02-04-2011, 4:47 PM
People are always starting biggest loser weight loss groups at work. Maybe we should start a shop organization support group....hahaha

We'll just have to come up with a scoring system.

How about something like....

1 point for each piece of wood thrown out under 12" in length.
2 points for each piece under 18" in length

Anything over 18" in length....let's not get carried away here.....you keep that!!!

5 points for getting anything out of your shop that isn't shop related.
5 points for getting rid of an old jig you don't need
10 points for each tool you get rid of that you don't use

5 points for each shelf installed
10 points for each cabinet

Sounds like John has a bit of a head start on us :-D

Tom Clark FL
02-04-2011, 9:47 PM
John,

Years ago I got tired of never being able to accomplish anything because of constantly fighting the clutter. So I did take the time to build shop cabinets so there was a place to put things away instead of dumping everything on any clear space. Now working on projects is a far nicer experience.

By the way, getting ready to move to a new shop across country. Everything goes with me to the new shop. Wouldn't give up a thing!

John Coloccia
02-10-2011, 3:51 PM
Well, I haven't forgotten about this. It's been quite a week. Circulator pump on furnace died, leak in water treatment stuff, car stuck in driveway, etc. HOWEVER, an interim update is coming soon. As happens with this sort of thing, the original scope has grown a bit. I'm trying to keep it flexible and just let things develop.

You know, it would actually be pretty entertaining to see creekers inviting other creekers into their shops and getting advice, and then watching the shops transform.

Mike Cruz
02-10-2011, 6:56 PM
John, I think that's an awesome idea! As I said before, I've invited others over here to see my shop and its layout for their sake. I should have been asking for their advice for mine!

Dale Probst
02-10-2011, 11:21 PM
John,
My wife and I watched your videos and thoroughly enjoyed them. My wife said to tell you that you married above yourself.
DP

Bill ThompsonNM
02-11-2011, 1:04 AM
My wife would tell you that we ALL married above ourselves. I'm not going to argue that one!

Bill ThompsonNM
02-11-2011, 1:06 AM
Seeing all the pictures of Tom clarks shop. I can't imagine moving it anywhere Keep us posted Tom!

Don Bullock
02-11-2011, 12:49 PM
I planned a shop in my new house and moved in 11 months ago. The shop is there, or should I say, the tools are there. What a disaster. Couldn't get motivated to sort it out. It was too far out of control. Finally, after the holidays I started. I'm almost complete now. What a stress relief. I'm motivated to do things again. I'll post some photos when I'm done. I didn't take any photos of the before situation. I'd rather forget.

I'm with Neil on this one but I'm well past 11 months from the move. Taking before pictures never even entered my mind. My shop was full of stuff for the shop as well as stuff for the house and garage when we moved. I also have boxes of stuff from my classroom that I brought home when I retired from 37 years of teaching. If something was marked garage the movers just dropped anyplace that they thought there was room. Slowly I've been moving house stuff out and soon may have most of it placed somewhere in the house or donated to charity. The garage end of the building is close to being "finished." I still have cabinets that I installed that still need to be organized.

My shop is just barely organized enough that I can get real work done. I just can't easily get real work done. I don't know how I live with it, but I do. I must have 15 tape measures kicking around. I don't even use a tape that much, but there's never one when I need it and they're cheap enough I just buy another one. I just bought an old Starrett at a show for $5. I've already lost it....

John, I feel your pain!!! I'm at the same stage now with my "new" shop (that's if after over 2 years it can still be considered new). Like John's OP it's the organization that is what I need now. Prior to moving I had a place for everything in 1/2 of a garage. Now that I've moved and have more than half of a 24' x 40" shop/garage to work in I'm having difficulty getting things organized. Just yesterday I had the same problem finding one of my rules. My wife was helping me on a project I was doing for her (not woodworking) and I needed my centering rule. It's over two feet long but neither of us could come up with it. We ended up having to do the project without it.

I hear you. I moved last August, moved the big tools in December and the organizing and arranging is sooooo slooooow. At least some of it is done and I have interesting projects ahead to keep the motivation up.

The interesting projects on my list keep mounting up, but Brian is right. They are my motivation as well. That's what keeps me going.

As for John and the OP, I married above myself as well. My wife actually comes out in the shop when I'm working and helps out. She's good at finding tools that I'm looking for and trying to help me figure out ways to organize them. If I need something that that will help make it easier to work out there, like recently when I needed some storage for all my small hardware, she helps me find what I need at the store. Just recently I was working on a project and she came out, threw out some boxes that I had just emptied, moved some things around to better organize the shop and swept the floor.

Now, if I can finally get the majority of carpentry type projects done on the house and out buildings and get to "real" woodworking I be a whole lot happier about having a shop and can finally decide where everything needs to go to make the shop more functional.

Chris Parks
02-11-2011, 7:17 PM
I have been going through the "re-organise the shop" routine for some time now. I like things to be in their place but I inherited all my father's tools so needed to absorb them into the space I had. My biggest problem is not that it is not neat but that for the last 20 years I knew where everything was and now I don't and it annoys me no end. I have put a lot of stuff into rolling modules which are the same height as my TS, joiner etc and when these are rolled away under the mitre bench I can't remember what is in them. I have been trying to come up with a labelling system that was flexible and I have just worked out how to do it so once again I am a happy camper as I won't be standing there trying to remember where everything is. BTW I worked out the best way to start, back a trailer into the workshop and just start throwing stuff into it you have not used for at least 12 months, I chucked out 3 trailer loads and have not missed one item. I am now very careful buying stuff as I chucked out a serious amount of money that had been spent over the years for stuff that might have gotten used once.

Dale Probst
02-12-2011, 8:00 PM
My wife would tell you that we ALL married above ourselves. I'm not going to argue that one!
8~}
Smart man,
DP

Brian Elfert
02-12-2011, 8:48 PM
My father has a workshop at home that he mostly uses for home repair type stuff. It is underneath the garage in his house. The shop had significant water damage issues.

The project to fix the water issues and redo the shop has been going on for over 18 months now. It will probably be 2 years by the time it is done. My father never seems to get any work done on the project unless I or one of my brothers comes over to help. Not much different from those who won't organize their own shops.

David Prince
02-13-2011, 9:53 AM
I consider myself anal and organized, but do find after completing a big job that there is stuff laying all over the place. I have found that it is very helpful to just get the stuff back where it belongs before you start the next project and start all over again with the process.

I think it is important to have a place for everything and remember to get it back to its place when you are done with it.

Larry Frank
02-13-2011, 8:40 PM
What a great thread. I think that I am going to write down some rules for scrap wood and post them on the wall. I need something to save me fromt he scraps. The winter is good as they make great kindling.

I also have boxes of stuff but started putting dates on them. I am at the point where if I have not used something or opened a box in 5 years, it needs to go out. I started doing the same with specialty jigs that I build. I date them and then throw them out if not used for a couple of years. However, I do take picture of them so I can re-create them if necessary. I know that it is a law or something that as soon as you throw something out, you will need it in a week or so.

Don Bullock
02-13-2011, 10:56 PM
... Not much different from those who won't organize their own shops.

I wish it was that easy. If it was the OP wouldn't be relevant to any of us.

For some of us it's not a matter of won't. For me it's more a matter of time, money and priorities. Organizing the shop takes a lot of time away from the "must do" things that I have with the house and yard. Right now I'm lucky if I have part of a day per week to work on shop organization, much less building cabinets, etc, that I need to put things in "their place." Money is also an issue. If I can't afford the materials to make the cabinets I need I'll have to be somewhat unorganized until I can fit them into the budget. Most important are my priorities. Even now that I'm retired I don't have full control of my list of things to do. For example, I promised my wife a dog washroom (in a shed at our new home) so that she wouldn't have wash our dogs in the shower in our master bathroom. A project like that takes time. The two of us have finished most of the painting. I laid and grouted the tile floor and am in the process of finishing the grouting two walls about halfway up after putting on the tile. When I'm finished with that I have some trim work to finish before our contractor comes in to hook up the plumbing and water heater. Since I've never tiled our grouted before it's taking me more time than it should so my other projects, including organizing the shop, have to wait.

I consider myself anal and organized, but do find after completing a big job that there is stuff laying all over the place. I have found that it is very helpful to just get the stuff back where it belongs before you start the next project and start all over again with the process.

I think it is important to have a place for everything and remember to get it back to its place when you are done with it.

That's something I did in my former shop. The problem with my new one is that there isn't a designated place for everything yet.

Douglas Clark
02-18-2011, 1:46 AM
John, I have a theory... either you don't have enough big equipment in your shop, or your shop space is too big. Since a shop can never be to big (providing you can afford the property taxes) the only valid solution is buy more stuff and fill it up. At that point, space becomes so valuable that you have no choice but to be hyper-organized. Now, I don't have statistical evidence that this theory is valid but my own experience definitely provides anecdotal evidence. Once I pulled the trigger on the bandsaw and started diagramming out how I was gonna make my space work with everything else, I panicked. I realized that it was do or die. I had to get hyper-organized. So, now my little one-car garage is quickly becoming the cleanest it's been in three years AND it feels bigger. HAH, how about that for irony.

Now here's the detailed linear rational behind my thought... Ultimately, it's all about holding capacity and supply and demand. When space is prevalent we don't worry about how efficiently we use it. After all, it's abundant so go ahead and fill it up... But, as we fill it up and lose open space we began to value more greatly the space we have left... when we value the space we have remaining, the quality of the space becomes increasingly important and we give greater thought to how we use it, arrange it, organize it... when no space is left to grow into and the quality of the space becomes the only thing we are able to adjust... WE GET EFFICIENT AND ORGANIZED! At least that's what they taught me when I was studying City Planning. Personally, I think I'd just rather find more space and start fresh. I guess that's why I left the public sector. However, I do think I've just given you more than adequate justification to go out and splurge on a couple of BIG new toys. They will force you to get organized!

John Coloccia
02-18-2011, 7:29 AM
I think you do have a point, Douglas. My wife is sick at the moment so I haven't had a chance to do another walkthrough, but when you see what I concocted I think you'll find that I put your theory into practice. I found that I much preferred a smaller, cramped space for working, and once I started going down that path, the organization just seemed to tumble out. I feel like I have more room in the cramped space!

Hopefully, I'll get the final walkthrough down today if I can coax typhoid Mary out of bed :)

Joel Albert
02-19-2011, 12:38 PM
John,

I hear you n that ....

Have to tell you a funny story that just happened to me. My sister-in-law (god bless her) is a bit obsessive compulsive and a neat freak. Last Saturday she was down visiting with my wife. I headed out Saturday morning to a seminar and evidently she couldn't take the state of my shop at all. Came back to find that she had organized it for me.... Not only that, she had done it amazingly well!!! Couldn't believe my eyes when I walked in. I hearby take back every negative thing I ever muttered about her--it was very cool. And now I have a shop with lots more storage space and room than I ever realized.

Plus I have all of my wood organized by species and sandpaper by grade, grin

Joel

Maurice Ungaro
02-19-2011, 1:13 PM
Joel,
How much do you get for your SIL's services?

Richard Wolf
02-22-2011, 7:28 AM
We need an update!

John Coloccia
02-22-2011, 7:39 AM
Maybe tonight. My wife was sick all last week, but she's better now :)

Bobby O'Neal
02-24-2011, 12:20 PM
John, as I watched your videos and shop layout I found myself wondering how and what you work on? Are you a full time luthier?

John Coloccia
02-24-2011, 3:24 PM
John, as I watched your videos and shop layout I found myself wondering how and what you work on? Are you a full time luthier?

Full time luthier in training :) Actually, I have an electric model that I'm fine tuning. Hopefully will be ready for prime time in a couple of months. I've built acoustics but now I'm studying acoustic building with a local luthier.

Bobby O'Neal
02-24-2011, 9:34 PM
Full time luthier in training :) Actually, I have an electric model that I'm fine tuning. Hopefully will be ready for prime time in a couple of months. I've built acoustics but now I'm studying acoustic building with a local luthier.

Sweet. That's exciting to hear. I love the art in small company instruments. My brother is an amp builder/pedal/effects/rack design/etc type. Its a cool world with alot of talented people.

John Coloccia
03-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Finally. The updated shop tour. Sorry it took so long. I was done organizing several weeks ago, but it is a working shop and I also just got back from vacation. We had a few minutes tonight and were able to do a walkthrough. I still wish it was neater, and maybe it will get neater in the coming weeks, but it is very functional and that's the most important part.

So here it is, warts and all :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myjBkaks0FA

btw: The "restaurant with psychiatric themes" remark was referring to the little marker board on the floor. It came off our refridgerator back in California. My wife's a psychologist, and one night we sat around with a friend and thought, "Gee, we should open a restaurant. It will have nice, comfortable couches, and you can be treated by a psychologist while waiting for your food". So we came up with some potential names.

B. F. Dinner
Egg Foo Jung
Sigmund Fried
Peking Kook
The Fugue Plate
etc etc..

Mike Cruz
03-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Looks great, John. Make sure you wife gets some more Oozo...;)

John Coloccia
03-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Looks great, John. Make sure you wife gets some more Oozo...;)

No Ouzo was harmed in the filming of this video :)

David Helm
03-16-2011, 1:34 PM
So John; I have a couple of questions/comments. First, how do you like being married to a psychologist so far? Does she do therapy? I too am married to one of those (in private practice for over 25 years). Being an old carpenter/woodworker we find relationship stuff to sometimes be challenging. You really do need to get her graduate school stuff out of your shop though. I built an entire separate building to house my wife's stuff. Really liked the Egg Foo Jung title for a restaurant (my wife is a Jungian).

John Coloccia
03-16-2011, 1:50 PM
So John; I have a couple of questions/comments. First, how do you like being married to a psychologist so far? Does she do therapy? I too am married to one of those (in private practice for over 25 years). Being an old carpenter/woodworker we find relationship stuff to sometimes be challenging. You really do need to get her graduate school stuff out of your shop though. I built an entire separate building to house my wife's stuff. Really liked the Egg Foo Jung title for a restaurant (my wife is a Jungian).

She's been doing child and family psychology and she does see clients, however she recently started managing the programs at one of the hospitals here so she has a reduced client workload. At some point, she'll probably open her own practice, but she's enjoying what she's doing at the moment.

Every now and then I have to "remind" her not to jump to conclusions. Psychologists can be extremely dense and stubborn. I'm a New York Italian, though, and am considerably more stubborn, so it works out OK.

Ryan Stagg
03-16-2011, 2:35 PM
B. F. Dinner
Egg Foo Jung
Sigmund Fried
Peking Kook
The Fugue Plate
etc etc..

So good! :D

Mike Cruz
03-16-2011, 2:53 PM
As a philosophy major, I really do appreciate these...

How about:

Hume-us House
Kant-aloupe Cart
Decartes of Goodies (this would have to be a kiosk)
Chow Meinong
Locke and Load (oh, that would be a gun store...)

Kent A Bathurst
03-16-2011, 3:52 PM
Only one criticism, John..........

The dart-board tape lasts MUCH longer if you use duct tape like I do. :D Only need to change it out every few years or so.

Hilarious - Before she even asked what the tape was for, I KNEW why it was there.

The Barbie and the bat on a noose - I really don't wanna know any more about those two.

Looks good.

BTW - let her know she's an official Creeker Babe!!! [in spite of the purple + blue madras slacks] ;)

Dale Probst
03-18-2011, 1:17 AM
Nice job John but I have a question- the thread title is "I would pay good money to have someone organize my shop". Did I miss the part of the video where you handed over the cash?
DP

John Coloccia
03-18-2011, 6:15 AM
Nice job John but I have a question- the thread title is "I would pay good money to have someone organize my shop". Did I miss the part of the video where you handed over the cash?
DP

You're not married are you?

Bob Winkler
03-18-2011, 9:14 AM
Hey John,

I enjoyed the posts and videos. Glad I could do my part in your cleanup by buying your scroll saw.

Bob

John Coloccia
03-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Hey John,

I enjoyed the posts and videos. Glad I could do my part in your cleanup by buying your scroll saw.

Bob

How's that working out for you? It was for your sister, right? Wouldn't you know it that I have a use for it now! I think I'm going to pick up on of the Rikon 10" band saws, though I wish it had cool blocks instead of those ridiculous bearing guides. Makes me wonder if some of these manufacturers actually talk to woodworkers before designing things.

Bob Winkler
03-18-2011, 3:07 PM
Close- it was my wife's sister. She's very happy with it and uses it a lot. I'm tempted to sell mine, but I know as soon as I do, I'll have the perfect project for it. Just wanted you to know that because of your demo to me, I now own the Lee Valley back saw set like yours.

Bob

Dale Probst
03-18-2011, 9:53 PM
You're not married are you?
Only 20 something years....show her the money>>>
DO