PDA

View Full Version : Fabrication and Shop Techniques Tool Rests for a Wood Lathe

Doug Wolf
02-03-2011, 4:56 PM
Here are some tool rests I made from scrap steel and some 1" round bar stock I had laying around.
The 3 curved ones are from the tube support of my old Craftsman lathe. I split the tube in thirds and attached a length of 1/4" drill rod on the top with 5 minute epoxy. I dropped one about 12" on a table and the drill rod popped off the top of the rest so it got brazed back on. I don't know how Robust does it but my epoxy was pretty old, maybe that's why it didn't hold. Anyway the brazed on drill rod works fine.

181095 181094 181093 181092 181091

Greg Bender
02-11-2011, 7:47 PM
Doug,
I recently did the same thing.Only I used 4" diameter schedule 40 steel pipe and cut a 6",9",and a 12" section into thirds. By the way,I brazed the A-1 drill rod into a groove I milled across the top using a horizontal mill set at 45 degrees so the cut ended up as a V- groove.So far they bare holding real well. I can't bring myself to buy these tool rests.The material is to easy to get ahold of for cheap.I like your tool post setup for turning off the end of the lathe.Is it holding up well and how involved is it to reposition?Thanx
Greg

Doug Wolf
02-12-2011, 9:39 AM
Greg,
Your right on, if you have a welder, why not not make your own.
The outboard rest is easy to move. Loosen the upper and lower 3/4" pivot bolts with a socket wrench (the nuts are welded), move the rest, and retighten the bolts. Maybe twice the time it takes to move the banjo on the ways. Haven't been turning outboard much since it's been cold. Once the bolts are tightened down I was amazed how solid it felt.

Greg Bender
02-13-2011, 7:25 PM
Doug,
that is my next undertaking. I have always wanted to turn off the end of the lathe.It just seems like it would be alot more comfortable in that position.Hope you don't mind but I may copy yours a little.Talk to you ,
Greg