PDA

View Full Version : A little maple plate

Jim Burr
02-03-2011, 3:45 PM
I am still working on the finish for this. Some curly maple from a generous benefactor. 10x8/4 stock I think?. Fun stuff to turn. I wanted a burn line or make a bead to separate the rim from the plate but it didn't happen. See new tools to facilitate this in a post later. Rim is dyed black, sanded down, orange, sanded down and red x 2 coats. Finish is Minwax Gloss WoP that Les Elm has made famous on pens. As soon as we unpack...I'll try it on a pen. 8 1/2 x 1/8 with a beaded bottom. Bottom foto is w/o finish. Little glossy for me, but I hope to knock it down with some o4 steel wool. And really improved pic's from my new photo tent! C & C welcomed!

John Keeton
02-03-2011, 3:56 PM
Jim, looks like it is coming along! What is the plan for the remainder of the plate - I assume you are leaving the center of the top natural, but will you dye the underside? Also, a side profile pic might show the topside profile a little better - the straight on shot kind of flattens the plate and makes it difficult to see what it actually looks like.

bob svoboda
02-03-2011, 4:04 PM
Looking good Jim. Agree a profile photo would be nice.

Jim Burr
02-03-2011, 4:09 PM
The bottom will just have the Minwax poly. The top, except for a light brush with some O4 steel wool is done. Since no one ever looks at the bottom, unless another turner stops by, I thought I'd leave it alone. When we unpack everything, I'll get a profile pic, but it really is very shallow, not like the first one. I really wanted to focus on a rim and some color. I want to try a beaded top...picked up some of D-way Dave's beading tools, 1/8 and 3/16's. That to will have to wait till the new shop opens in a week or two

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2011, 6:38 PM
Great looking plate Jim. I like the red as it really sets it off.

Baxter Smith
02-03-2011, 7:34 PM
Very nice! Looked like a good candidate for adding some color.