PDA

View Full Version : To buff or not to buff.....

bob svoboda
02-03-2011, 9:10 AM
I'm finishing a lidded bowl thing turned from a Maple burl. This is the first piece I have finished with Satin WOP rather than Gloss and am wondering if I should Beall buff after the finish cures? Input appreciated.

John Keeton
02-03-2011, 9:23 AM
Bob, since you used Satin, I take it that you desire something less than a gloss. I have used Satin on a couple of pieces that I later buffed. The result was a fairly high sheen, but somewhat less than that achieved with the gloss WOP. I have also buffed, and then gone back with a very light hand buff with 0000 steel wool, followed by a hand rubbing with a paper shop towel. That seems to knock back the sheen a little.

I have not done it, but I suppose one could use rottenstone or pumice to knock back the sheen, as well.

Steve Vaughan
02-03-2011, 9:24 AM
Personally, I think I'd buff just to be able to get that silky smooth to the touch finish.

Thom Sturgill
02-03-2011, 9:25 AM
Do you want high-gloss? I do not use WOP much and don't know much about it. With lacquer, gloss has more driers and a tendency to fish-eye. On the other hand, satin can be polished to just as high a gloss with less problems in application. I beall buff after using micromesh cloths to 8000 grit (used wet with Mineral spirits) and allowed to cure at least 1 week. I think the same protocol would work for WOP. Main difference is that with lacquer, I do not need to sand between coats unless it is to remove an imperfection.

bob svoboda
02-03-2011, 9:40 AM
I should have been a little more specific. My thought is that with less gloss, the wood will command more attention on its own merits, and this wood is really nice-will post pic's when finished.

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Bob I don't buff when using Satin finish. Really like the wood to stand out rather than the shine.

charlie knighton
02-03-2011, 3:00 PM
Bob,

watch out for the cotton fibers of the mop to get stuck in the crevies of the burl, takes time to get them out

Bill Hensley
02-03-2011, 7:21 PM
I may be too late but I would buff it lightly with white diamond and follow-up with the wax buff. It will take nothing away from the wood and make it softer to the touch (smooth).