PDA

View Full Version : Silver Dust

Mike OMelia
02-03-2011, 1:02 AM
What is the point of using silver dust in finishing? Anybody have side by side picture comparisons? Just curious.

Mike

Tony Bilello
02-03-2011, 2:27 AM
What is silver dust?

John McClanahan
02-03-2011, 8:10 AM
It helps to sell overpriced cars.

John

Steve Schoene
02-03-2011, 8:22 AM
Never heard of silver dust. Aluminum oxide is added to some floor paints to enhance abrasion resistance without much change of appearance. And, for a shiny flash, mica powders in a wide range of colors including silver and gold can be either added to a binder or applied over a tacky surface. There is also silver leaf applied like gold leaf. And, of course there is powdered "paint" coatings that can be had in silver, but that's an industrial only technology I would think.

Chris Fournier
02-03-2011, 11:42 AM
If you're talking about silver powder that you add to clear sprayed finishes it makes objects look silver! The Gibson Les Paul "Gold Top" used this type of powder, but gold in colour to make a rock and roll icon. I used gold powder once and it was fun. This was long before Goldmember if you know what I'm saying.

Jim Rimmer
02-03-2011, 1:44 PM
It helps to sell overpriced cars.

John

+1 - only time I've heard of it is in an ad for a very pricey car.

Tony Bilello
02-04-2011, 12:40 AM
If you're talking about silver powder that you add to clear sprayed finishes it makes objects look silver! The Gibson Les Paul "Gold Top" used this type of powder, but gold in colour to make a rock and roll icon. I used gold powder once and it was fun. This was long before Goldmember if you know what I'm saying.

I use metal powders quite a bit when restoring the cheaper antique hardware and the faux gold inlays. I also use lots of it on antigue mirror frame repairs, but I don't think that is what he is talking about..... Goldmember, I forgot all about him. The man with the golden 'gun' LOL

Chris Fournier
02-04-2011, 1:26 AM
I use metal powders quite a bit when restoring the cheaper antique hardware and the faux gold inlays. I also use lots of it on antigue mirror frame repairs, but I don't think that is what he is talking about..... Goldmember, I forgot all about him. The man with the golden 'gun' LOL

Boy, if you're right Tony, then I have no idea what silver dust is either ...but for some reason I want some.