PDA

View Full Version : Not much, but it is shop time.

Jon Lanier
02-03-2011, 12:40 AM
We got lucky and had some 60+ degree weather today so I took advantage and did some shop time. Not been there for a while. This is a Handle for a shaving brush for my son (per his design). Alt Ivory... not finished up yet, by I'm excited that I got something done.

John Keeton
02-03-2011, 6:02 AM
Jon, nice work! I still have a large piece of this stuff - what tools did you use? It appears brittle, and at one point, I attempted a finial from it, but had difficulty with tooling.

Steve Schlumpf
02-03-2011, 7:33 AM
Jon - congrats on your shop time! Looks like you put it to good use! Looking forward to seeing this one finished!

bob svoboda
02-03-2011, 9:55 AM
+1 on getting shop time. Very nice looking handle. Alt Ivory is a new material for me.

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Really nice looking handle Jon. Glad you got some shop time.

Baxter Smith
02-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Looks good! Looking forward to the finished product. I keep my shop at 58-60. Sure felt strange to walk in from the outside and feel colder, when much of the country is getting buried in snow!

Jon Lanier
02-03-2011, 12:28 PM
John, I tried just about every tool and was getting major chip out. Until I went to my trustee Lancer style skew. Then it cut like butter. I use a 1" and 1/2" skew to get here. It was so smooth when I finished that I went to Diamond buff to get the shine. I'm going to attempt to decal a picture of Josh's dog on the handle and then do a CA finish. If that doesn't work, I'll send it off to be laser etched. I've got the Knot read to go..