PDA

View Full Version : New Wood and a few bowls

Kathy Marshall
02-03-2011, 12:03 AM
The 1st is a new wood from Woodworkers Source. It's from Peru, called Ormosia Arborea and the common name is Huayruro. They are sold in round blanks 8.5 x 2.5" and dry.
This wood is HARD! It has an open grain and sharp sharp tools a must and doesn't sand easily, but once sanded (took this one to 800 grit) it takes a finish nice. This one is finished in tung oil and the finish size is 7 1/2" by 2 1/4". I used a recess to chuck it so I wouldn't lose the depth to a tenon. The dark streaks near the rim were some kind of stain in the wood.
181053 181051

This piece is more of my Eucalyptus. I think this one was a great success. I roughed out this bowl (very quickly, trying to beat any cracking, which I did :D ) then put it in my dna bucket and let it soak for 7 days, then put it in a bag of shavings for about 4 days, just enough so the surface was dry and the dna smell was slight (patience was never my strong point and I just wanted to see how this one would do). There was no cracking and only a little warpage. I finish turned it then finished in several coats of tung oil and its been about 3 weeks and its just the same was when I finished it. It's only 6" x 2 1/2" but I think that as part of the success, the small size allowed me to rough it out and get it in the dna quickly. I'll try one of my bigger blanks soon and will probably extend the soak time depending on how big it is.

181059 181050

This one is slightly spalted cottonwood. I roughed turned it soaking wet green then soaked it in dna for about 5 days, then dried in a bag of shavings for several days, then finish turned and finished in tung oil. No cracking but there was some warpage which doesn't bother me. Finished size is 9 1/2" x 10 1/4" x 4". It's very stringy and doesn't cut cleanly when soaking wet, but turned fine after the dna soak. This one probably has about 10 coats of tung oil (I didn't count), the spalted (darker) areas had some punky wood in them and it just soaked up the oil.

181054 181052

Thanks for looking!
C&C's welcome.

tom martin
02-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Very nice Kathy! I especially like the cottonwood and Eucalyptus!

Jack Camillo
02-03-2011, 5:12 AM
Really nice, and thanks a bunch for sharing the experiences together with the pictures - helps us noobs.

John Keeton
02-03-2011, 5:59 AM
Very nice trio, Kathy! You are getting this bowl thing down pat. Nice assortment of woods, too. I am guessing the warpage on the cottonwood may be due a little of the pith in the rim - looks great, though!

Roger Chandler
02-03-2011, 6:05 AM
First class work there, Kathy! The eucalyptus is very pretty, so is the huayruro. All your forms look spot on to me, and doing the recess on the first one was a great idea for a small thickness blank.......good planning and results on all three.

Fred Perreault
02-03-2011, 6:33 AM
Kathy, the Huayruro is a nice form, and very handsome wood. I came into some really large cottonwood last year, and managed about 8-9 large crotches. They are sliced and sealed, drying out.

dan carter
02-03-2011, 6:43 AM
You are correct, Huayruro is hard. I am sure I wouldn't turn it again. I was going to say I liked the eucalyptus the best, but the cottonwood is very nice. The punky wood doesn't show in the photo, you did a good job with it.

Richard Madden
02-03-2011, 8:28 AM
All three look slick to me. Thanks for showing. And thanks for the tip on Huayruro...I'll probably avoid buying any.

philip labre
02-03-2011, 8:30 AM
Those are some beautiful bowls Kathy.

Doug W Swanson
02-03-2011, 8:34 AM
Nice work, Kathy. They are all great bowls and your finish is excellent!

Josh Bowman
02-03-2011, 9:06 AM
Those look very nice. I really like the cotton woods grain.

David E Keller
02-03-2011, 9:26 AM
Lovely trio... The forms are wonderful. Hard to pick a favorite, but I think I like the eucalyptus best just for the great color.

Steve Vaughan
02-03-2011, 9:28 AM
That's a great collection of great looking bowls there. Love the variety of grain.

bob svoboda
02-03-2011, 9:44 AM
All very nice-you really are showing an eye for a great curve. My vote (slim difference) has to go to the cottonwood-lots of character there. Nicely done!

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Really beautiful bowls Kathy. I like them all but the cottonwood is really nice.

Baxter Smith
02-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Wood, shape and finish is great. Makes some nice looking bowls! Well done!

Jim Burr
02-03-2011, 11:15 AM
The first one has a mesquite look to it. All are really well done. Looks like you took great care to insure success!

charlie knighton
02-03-2011, 11:42 AM
very nice....

Art Manansala
02-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Kathy,

Great work on the bowls and thanks for going thru your process, it's helpful to me. My favorite is the eucalyptus.

Are you using 100% tung oil as your finish?

Thanks,

Art

Steve Schlumpf
02-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Very nice work on all three bowls Kathy! Each is a winner - but find the colors of the Eucalyptus really stands out to me! Keep up the good work!

Don Alexander
02-03-2011, 7:55 PM
very nice work i can't decide whether i like the cottonwood or the eucalyptus better

Thomas Canfield
02-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Nice looking bowls Kathy. The recess on the Huayruro looks fine, almost like a foot, but I have added a glue block on a few pieces of wood picked up in Hawaii for a tenon and then part off using the full block thickness less about 1/8" trimming each side. Using a sanding sealer wash ( thin shellac is what I use) will help harden the punky cottonwood for sanding and also speed up the finishing requiring less coats.

Kathy Marshall
02-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks everyone!

I probably won't turn huayruro again. While the bowl turned out nice, it wasn't pleasant to turn. If it had some really nice grain or figure or something else going on, I might try it, but for the simple grain pattern and color it has, for me it's not worth the effort or expense when I've been getting some nice, fun to turn wood for free!

Kathy,

Great work on the bowls and thanks for going thru your process, it's helpful to me. My favorite is the eucalyptus.

Are you using 100% tung oil as your finish?

Thanks,

Art

Yes, I believe it's 100%.

very nice work i can't decide whether i like the cottonwood or the eucalyptus better
If the eucalyptus bowl was as big as the cottonwood, there would be no contest, eucalyptus hands down. I really like the look of the cottonwood but there's just something about the color of the euc.

Dan Forman
02-04-2011, 1:34 AM
All are nice, but I'm partial to the cottonwood.

Dan

Michelle Rich
02-04-2011, 7:18 AM
These bowls are terrific. Great woods & great skill shown here. Your finishing work appears excellent. You seem to take the time to sand to perfection.

Carol Kinney
02-04-2011, 9:44 AM
Very nice work Kathy. That spalted cottonwood looks fantastic good to see you got a nice piece. Everyone has told me cottonwood isn't good - I have a feeling they just didn't get a good piece. Again very nice work.

Harry Robinette
02-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Kathy
Nice work,I was wondering did the cottonwood smell bad when you turned it wet.I did a couple pieces that smelled worse then wet dog x10.Was wondering if it was just the pieces I got.