PDA

View Full Version : Different use for a Brace?

Jim Koepke
02-02-2011, 11:14 PM
So, there are a few threads on braces that had me thinking today.

One of the Borgs had carpenter pencils for 19¢. Many years ago, one of their sharpeners for such pencils was bought. After a moment of turning a pencil in one of those and seeing chips coming out, a thought came to mind.

The pencil sharpener was set in a vise and the pencil was chucked into my 8" sweep brace. What made this possible is the guide for the carpenter pencil in the sharpener rotates.

Made it into quick work.

For the record though, using a chisel or knife to pare away the wood is still faster.

jtk

lowell holmes
02-03-2011, 8:13 AM
I recently purchased a "school room" pencil sharpener. I mounted it in the shop. It not only sharpens pencils, but points dowels as well. Cost was less than $20.

russell lusthaus
02-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I have one of those school room pencil sharpeners as well. I love it. In addition to sharpening pencils, and pointing dowels, I use it with the Veritas (or is Lee Valley) plugger to fill old screw / nail holes prior to re - screwing - and also for decorative plugging.

Charles McKinley
02-04-2011, 12:11 AM
I bought and returned 2 of the new pencil sharpeners. Nice sharp piont the entire leads width off center. I even bought the brand of pencils that the sharpener recommended. You have to love Chineese machining. I love Lee Valley's no hassel return policy.

lowell holmes
02-04-2011, 7:33 AM
Try Amazon.

No such problems with theirs.