PDA

View Full Version : captive hollower

Harry Robinette
02-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Hi All
This is my captive deep hollower,it's made like Frank Sudals except for the rear trap.The rear trap lower part is angle iron with wood and wood with UHMW plastic like stuff.We found that this combination help keep noise down,the tool slides easier and you have better control of the hollowing bar.The cutter is made from a heavy joiner blade.The round plate with slot is a piece of the bar with a slot milled or ground into it ( I've misplaced my cutter, thats way the allen wrench)the cutter I use is from the Sorby Multi-tip.I hope this might help someone making theirs.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Richard Kennedy UK
02-03-2011, 5:30 AM
Thats a really great set of photos, very informative and I bet you are getting a ton of use out of it! Thanks for sharing for folks like me who are thinking of building something these kinds of posts are invaluable!

Just have to learn to weld now!

Roger Chandler
02-03-2011, 5:55 AM
That is impressive! Nice job on the rig and the pics. That uhmw is pretty slick stuff, and should serve you well. Did you stick it on the angle iron with 2 sided tape? Nice machining in the cutter head.

It looks like you could go pretty deep with that bar and rig.

Nathan Hawkes
02-03-2011, 8:56 AM
Harry what a great post!! I have a couple pieces of the same UHMW polyethylene around,and had never thought about using them for this purpose. Heck of an idea! Thanks for sharing.

John Keeton
02-03-2011, 9:30 AM
Nice work, Harry!!
That uhmw is pretty slick stuff, and should serve you well. Did you stick it on the angle iron with 2 sided tape?Roger, I don't know what Harry used, but the UHMW is available with adhesive already on it. I have used a lot of it with various tablesaw and router fixtures.

Bernie Weishapl
02-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Really nice looking unit Harry. Nicely done.

Baxter Smith
02-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Very nice work!

James Combs
02-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Wow another one to add to my list. This one seems much simpler to make then most that I have looked at. Love the adjust-ability of the stands.

Jim Adkins
02-03-2011, 5:46 PM
Harry....Thanks for posting this captive system. Mine is also made of angle iron and it's noisy!! A good idea to place wood strips top & bot with self-adheisive UHMW to both surfaces. Thats a soon-to-be-done project. Thanks