PDA

View Full Version : It's done, Some Firsts, and Learned Some Things

James Combs
02-02-2011, 5:57 PM
Well my carbide tipped turning tool is done. Completing it had me doing some firsts, spindle turning (I don't count finials as spindles). I also learned a couple things, one was a good thing about a tool the other was what not to do when gluing a tang.

This is a shot of the completed tool.

Here it is next to my Easy Wood Finisher and a Benjamin's Best gouge for a size comparison. The handle is about 16" and the tool is about 10" for an over all length of 26". After getting it together I used it on the outside of a medium size bowl (8-10") and it is a dream to use. I feel a lot safer using this then using the shorter tools.

This is a closeup of the tool to handle attachment area and the brass ferrule. This is the area that I learned what not to do. I had mixed up some 5 minute epoxy to glue the tang into the handle and had dobbed some of it into the hole and painted some on the tang. I pushed the tang into the handle and it was really difficult to get it to bottom out because every time I pushed it in trapped air in the hole pushed it back out. You should have seen me hustling around to find someway to clamp the two together before the 5 minute glue setup. It was way to hard to hold together by hand for five minutes. Here is what I ended up doing with maybe 45 seconds to spare. BTW the block of wood that it is resting on is a cutoff of the block that I turned into the handle.

The other thing I learned was that my bowl steady rest works great on spindles. The spindle vibrated majorly when I was trying to turn the center portion. I set up my steady rest, reversed two opposing wheels and was able to close all four wheels down on the spindle. With two wheels reversed it will close down to zero diameter.
181005 181006

Other photos of the fabrication process can be found here.. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?158714-Homemade-Version-of-Ci0-Carbide-Tipped-Gouge-Scraper

Comments appreciated.

John K. I will bring the tool to the club meeting tomorrow for show and tell.

Tim Thiebaut
02-02-2011, 6:10 PM
Wow you did an awesome job on that James, I have been thinking about doing something like this myself at some point, thanks for shareing the process with us.

Brian Libby
02-02-2011, 6:18 PM
Nice job - looks like a good size to get a good solid grip.

John Keeton
02-02-2011, 7:14 PM
JD, I look forward to seeing the finished product "in the flesh." Nice work! BTW, when I do use epoxy on a handle, all I use is just a dab on the last 1/2" or so of the handle to go in the hole. As long as the fit is reasonably snug, that is all it takes. And, it is easy enough at that point to heat the tool right at the handle and loosen the epoxy.

Jim Burr
02-02-2011, 7:55 PM
Great looking handle! Should produce great results!!

David E Keller
02-02-2011, 8:04 PM
Nicely done!

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2011, 8:50 PM
Really nicely done James.

David DeCristoforo
02-02-2011, 9:23 PM
Nice job on that James. Nothing quite like using a tool you made!

Baxter Smith
02-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Very nice looking tools!

Harry Robinette
02-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Really nice tool,beautiful handle work.
Harry

Jon McElwain
02-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Nice work on that tool. That is by far the best looking ferrule I have ever seen on a turning tool!

James Combs
02-03-2011, 10:52 AM
JD, I look forward to seeing the finished product "in the flesh." Nice work! BTW, when I do use epoxy on a handle, all I use is just a dab on the last 1/2" or so of the handle to go in the hole. As long as the fit is reasonably snug, that is all it takes. And, it is easy enough at that point to heat the tool right at the handle and loosen the epoxy.

John I wasn't thinking about ever having to remove the handle, just wanted to make sure it didn't come off at an inopportune time so I really socked the epoxy to it. What really gave me the trapped air problem was that I had previously soaked the hole with thin CA and of course that made it air tight.:o I suspect that there is still pressurized air at the bottom of the hole.:eek:

Great looking handle! Should produce great results!!

Really nice tool,beautiful handle work.
Harry

Jim/Harry I like the looks of it and I liked the handles on the Easy Wood Tools that I modeled it after but after using it I find that the most natural location for my right hand is around the step:( which tends to be uncomfortable. Oh well it is my prototype. The next one will not have the step and will have a stainless steel tool.

Nice work on that tool. That is by far the best looking ferrule I have ever seen on a turning tool!

Jon, I like it a lot too but as I indicated in my fabrication progress post, I have no idea what the original brass fitting was or where I got it. I will be doing some searching for the next one:). Definitely want the next tool to match.;)

Don Alexander
02-03-2011, 8:00 PM
when you make the "good" one i bet you wouldn't have any trouble getting a buyer for that one *** hint............ hint **** :D

Josh Bowman
02-03-2011, 9:04 PM
James,
Nice work. When will you be ready to take orders.:D

James Combs
02-03-2011, 11:31 PM
when you make the "good" one i bet you wouldn't have any trouble getting a buyer for that one *** hint............ hint **** :D

James,
Nice work. When will you be ready to take orders.:D

Hahahahaha I wouldn't hold my breath. :D