PDA

View Full Version : Any One Going to the Tool Event In Portland?

Jim Koepke
02-02-2011, 3:14 PM
I am hoping to get the wife to let me spend a little time there.

I am not going to push her to let me spend any money.

My main interest is that Mike Wenzloff will be there as will Dave Jeske of Blue Spruce Tools.

Hope to pick up some tips on saw use and possibly filing plus just look at all the eye candy.

jtk

John Sanford
02-02-2011, 3:26 PM
Are you talking about the L-N event coming up? I'm considering it, and Jeske being there ups the interest on my part. Catch is, I'd have to fly up, and then spend lots of money making it worth the flight. My purchases would be cheaper than buying them here or buying 'em mail order/online, but it takes a lot to make up for the flight. Weighing my options...

Jim Koepke
02-02-2011, 4:11 PM
Are you talking about the L-N event coming up? I'm considering it, and Jeske being there ups the interest on my part. Catch is, I'd have to fly up, and then spend lots of money making it worth the flight. My purchases would be cheaper than buying them here or buying 'em mail order/online, but it takes a lot to make up for the flight. Weighing my options...

Aren't you a lot closer to Southern California to attend a show there?

jtk

John Sanford
02-02-2011, 5:49 PM
Yup, I am, but my three of my kids are up in Portland so I can get a twofer, and I didn't find out about the LA event until yesterday. Fortunately, the LA event is actually in LA, rather than way out in Santa something or other like the last one down in SoCal. Now if they'd do one out in the Inland Empire, I'd be really set, since my "base" for SoCal adventures is just south of Victorville. Like I said, weighing my options. If it looks like I'll be able to get a SawStop in my preferred time frame, then I definitely won't be heading up to Portland.

I wish they had their schedule up through the summer, or more specifically, just addressed whether or not their going to be doing an event at IWF/AWFS this year. That's an easy one for me to get to, as long as I manage to figure a free way of sneaking in.

Andrae Covington
02-02-2011, 7:13 PM
Tentatively, I plan to go, probably on that Saturday. Of course I recently ordered a couple things from LN before I found out they were coming to Portland. I don't know if they bring their entire catalog to the shows? At any rate, I'll just be window shopping but since I've never been to one of these I'd like to check it out.

Jim Koepke
02-02-2011, 9:52 PM
They tend to take orders at the show and then offer discounts on shipping. They also might be able to bring an item to the show for inspection and pick up if you contact them in advance.

They do bring most of the inventory of their own items in the catalog for people to try hands on. I think that works since most people like what they try and then want to buy.

I was pretty sure of wanting a #62 and they were going to bring one for me to buy at the show. A mix up had the wrong plane in my will call package. They did have the other items I wanted. The also had the showroom demo of the #62 on hand for me to try. I really like that plane.

Since Blue Spruce is also often at the show it gives a person a chance to handle both styles of chisels to see if one really is more to their liking than the other. In my experience, it really makes sense to have different chisels for different jobs. Some of Dave Jeske's work is absolutely beautiful.

jtk

Steve knight
02-03-2011, 1:59 AM
I am only about 6 blocks away I may show up if I remember and I am not swamped with work. Should show people how to make a plane on a screaming cnc router (G) but anymore I hardly every get to touch hand tools. bet it has been over 2 years since I ran a plane over wood.