PDA

View Full Version : What’s up with this?

Bruce Page
02-02-2011, 2:36 PM
All of a sudden some of the fonts/language (?) on a number of websites I visit has turned to gibberish. In the example below the all of the punctuation mark apostrophe’s as in don’t are replaced with ’.

“KK: Now don’t go there. It’s not like or dislike. I thought you’re a terrific quarterback. I just thought they shoulda kept Brett another year because –” :confused::confused:

(From a web article on Packer QB, Aaron Rodgers) http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2009/01/aaron-rodgers-interview-michael-irvin-brett-favre/

I’m using Firefox 3.6.13. I get the same results using MS IE

Glenn Vaughn
02-02-2011, 3:10 PM
I have a hunch it is something i the style definitions for the web site. What you are seeing is a translation of the code & # 8217 ; (ignore the spaces I had to use them to get the value to display) which is a ’ - for some reason it is translating in correctly. I get the same results from that page with IE 8. I found another page on another site using the same code and it translates correctly. The 8217 is a multibyte code and I suspect it is supposed to be UTF-8 code rsquo - which is a right hand quote (’ as opposed to ').

Some think it looks better to use ‘ ’ than ' ' - just makes life difficult for others. Microsoft word converts many special characters to multibyte.