PDA

View Full Version : Turned for our finishing Demo

Roger Chandler
02-02-2011, 2:09 PM
I turned this little Bradford Pear bowl today, just to be able to bring an unfinished piece to our finishing demo at our club this coming Saturday.

Our club will host Charles Neil, who is a master woodworker, furniture builder and also a master finisher. His work is of museum quality for sure. He requested a few unfinished pieces be brought to our club meeting so that he can show us some techniques and give some suggestions on how to enhance the beauty and value of our turnings.

This was a spur of the moment thing, nothing special.........just chucked a piece up, to see what would come out.

We should have a very interesting demo!

Brian Libby
02-02-2011, 2:16 PM
nice piece - hope you post picture after finishing.

Steve Vaughan
02-02-2011, 2:34 PM
yup, exactly what I was getting ready to say.

Richard Madden
02-02-2011, 2:52 PM
Me three...

Bill Hensley
02-02-2011, 2:53 PM
Looks good as is, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Keith E Byrd
02-02-2011, 3:06 PM
Nice work - will really look good after finish is done!

Michael James
02-02-2011, 3:37 PM
Neil knows his stuff. Have fun.

Roger Chandler
02-02-2011, 4:44 PM
Neil knows his stuff. Have fun.

MJ,

do you know Charles, or know of him? I was just wondering, because he is close by us here. I have been to his shop before, and boy, he does some exquisite work. Some of the most beautiful I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of them over the years!

John Keeton
02-02-2011, 4:52 PM
Right nice piece there, Roger! Hope you guys have a great meeting. Looks like you have a pretty nice sanded surface already, so I bet this one finishes out great!

Roger Chandler
02-02-2011, 4:57 PM
Right nice piece there, Roger! Hope you guys have a great meeting. Looks like you have a pretty nice sanded surface already, so I bet this one finishes out great!

I hope so John..........if Charles Neil is the one who puts the finish on it, then it ought to be first rate! :D I don't know actually how many he is going to do himself, and how many he is going to instruct some of us others..........but he asked for 8 -10 turnings he could use for the demo and "suggestions."

Charles Neil is indeed a master finisher as well as woodworker.

Michael James
02-02-2011, 6:25 PM
MJ, do you know Charles, or know of him?
Roger, I just know of him. Before I found this place I was checkiong out some of his videos. I always appreciate a guy who came up the "hard way" and this guy has some great experience behind him. I like his sense of humor too! I've seen him advert for a couple of lathe tool mfgs, but do not know of his actual lathe work. I'll bet there's some real common sense approaches he'll share, and I hope you do too! :)

Dan Forman
02-02-2011, 6:53 PM
That's a nice bowl, and I have enjoyed watching and learning from Charles's videos on Youtube. Should be a great time.

Dan

Tim Thiebaut
02-02-2011, 8:07 PM
Very nice design, I love the shape of it. I have watched a ton of Charles Neils videos on YouTube, you certainly knows his stuff, have fun at the meeting.

Thomas Canfield
02-02-2011, 8:45 PM
Nice looking. I'll be looking for comments from the meeting and also the size. Bradford Pear is one of my favorite local woods to turn.

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2011, 8:46 PM
Nice bowl Roger. Don't forget to show it after your demo.

Roger Chandler
02-02-2011, 8:50 PM
Nice bowl Roger. Don't forget to show it after your demo.

Bernie,

Thanks! If Charles does the finish, I certainly will, so we will see how it goes.........I am thinking that if he does not pick this one for one of his finishing jobs, then I will most likely apply WOP when I get home, and then I will show it anyway. He probably will, if I put a bug in his ear! :D;)

Roger Chandler
02-02-2011, 9:19 PM
I'll bet there's some real common sense approaches he'll share, and I hope you do too! :)

I hear ya, MJ! If he says some things I can get my mind around well enough to articulate it on this forum, then I will be glad to share.........lets just hope I can keep it all straight........I think I will take a note pad and take some notes!

Baxter Smith
02-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Very nice looking bowl. Hope to see it finished!