PDA

View Full Version : Maine Spalted Birch & sLower Delaware Blackwood

Baxter Smith
02-02-2011, 12:07 PM
After roughing out a lot of larger bowls and platters last week I went looking for something easier to pick up. Found something I had roughed out last winter.
Critiques and comments welcome.
Spalted Paper Birch and Delaware Holly
8.25 x 4 finished with AO and ink.

Frank Van Atta
02-02-2011, 12:30 PM
I love the versatility of this piece. Why didn't I think of that?

Rob Cunningham
02-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Great form and finish on the HF and nice detail on the finial and stand.

Jon McElwain
02-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Clean, crisp and delicate lines. Lots of symmetry - the hollow form is symmetrical top to bottom (same curve on the upper half as is on the bottom half), and the finial is a miniature of the pedestal. Hollow forms on a pedestal often have "lift" because they sort of reach up with lines flowing upward. This form has the appearance of weightlessness because of the top to bottom symmetry of the curve. The lower half of the form gives it lift, but the upper half of the form perfectly counteracts the lift with an opposing curve.

Same finish on all parts of the piece? From the photo, the hollow form looks not quite glossy while the holly looks like the finish is very satin. Also, how did you apply the ink? Just rub it on while the piece was spinning on the lathe?

John Keeton
02-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Baxter, this is a wonderfully done piece!!! Great wood, and your execution of the pedestal and finial is extremely well done. My suggestion is that you take a long break from the bowls and platters and show us some more of your artistic endeavors!!

bob svoboda
02-02-2011, 1:04 PM
This one really knocks me out Baxter. Lovely form and that wood is delicious!

David DeCristoforo
02-02-2011, 1:07 PM
Slam dunk, Baxter! My only "critique" would be that the details between the base and stem on the pedestal and finial could have a bit larger diameter. But this is a small nit and I only mention it because it is something I have been prone to do myself. This is a mighty fine piece of work and, needless to say, the wood is beautiful.

Jim Burr
02-02-2011, 1:11 PM
Oh my...this is really beautiful Baxter. Speechless and a big Bravo!!

Ken Hill
02-02-2011, 1:20 PM
Indeed a fine piece!

charlie knighton
02-02-2011, 1:23 PM
very nice....

Dan Forman
02-02-2011, 1:43 PM
Beauty and grace, the size caught me by surprise when i saw the last pic.

Richard Madden
02-02-2011, 1:51 PM
Very well done!! I especially like the way top of the HF and lid flow as one curve. Something I need to work on. Great job.

Brian Libby
02-02-2011, 2:13 PM
Very nice-actually I would say great piece!
What do you use for hollowing?
At Totally Turning in March I plan on buying the Jamieson hollowing system from Lyle.

Roger Chandler
02-02-2011, 2:19 PM
Very elegant and graceful piece there Baxter.

Tim Thiebaut
02-02-2011, 2:29 PM
Baxter that is beautiful!

dan carter
02-02-2011, 2:37 PM
Nice wood. Nice finial and base. Very good job.

Bill Hensley
02-02-2011, 2:59 PM
Beautiful piece. You done good!

Jon Lanier
02-02-2011, 3:39 PM
Okay, I'm in sLower Delaware and I can't find wood like that?!

Beautiful ... everything!

Mark Hubl
02-02-2011, 6:49 PM
Very nice piece Baxter. Well done.

Gary Conklin
02-02-2011, 6:55 PM
Baxter, that is a wonderful piece. The form and wood are outstanding. I love everything about this one!

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-02-2011, 7:05 PM
Hey Bax,
Well done. You are beginning to become of the really good turners in the group. We'll see you on the cover of one publication or another before you know it.
faust

Steve Schlumpf
02-02-2011, 7:13 PM
Baxter - when you step out of your comfort zone you leap!

Very impressive piece! Love all the detail work on the pedestal and finial - helps tie everything together! Pretty wood on the hollow form but this is one of those times when form trumps wood!

Very nice work - seriously - very nice! Looking forward to seeing what else you have been holding back on!

Curt Fuller
02-02-2011, 8:52 PM
Holy Smokes Baxter, that's nice! I like everything about it.

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2011, 8:53 PM
Beautiful Baxter. I really like the form, the finial and the base.

Jon Nuckles
02-02-2011, 9:02 PM
That is a beautiful piece and a beautiful piece of wood.

Thomas Canfield
02-02-2011, 9:08 PM
The three sections are very nice and the total unit exceptional. Very dainty looking.

David E Keller
02-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Very cool! I love the 'full figured' onions on the final and pedestal. All of the detail is crisp and well positioned. This one's a knockout!

Baxter Smith
02-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Thank you for all the kind comments. You are all more than gracious!

Clean, crisp and delicate lines. Lots of symmetry - the hollow form is symmetrical top to bottom (same curve on the upper half as is on the bottom half), and the finial is a miniature of the pedestal. Hollow forms on a pedestal often have "lift" because they sort of reach up with lines flowing upward. This form has the appearance of weightlessness because of the top to bottom symmetry of the curve. The lower half of the form gives it lift, but the upper half of the form perfectly counteracts the lift with an opposing curve.

Same finish on all parts of the piece? From the photo, the hollow form looks not quite glossy while the holly looks like the finish is very satin. Also, how did you apply the ink? Just rub it on while the piece was spinning on the lathe?
Thanks for taking the time to write such an extensive comment/critique John. I appreciate reading what makes a turning appealing to others. The form has 4 or 5 coats of AO. The holly has just been inked with the sharpie on the lathe while turning slowly by hand.

Slam dunk, Baxter! My only "critique" would be that the details between the base and stem on the pedestal and finial could have a bit larger diameter. But this is a small nit and I only mention it because it is something I have been prone to do myself. This is a mighty fine piece of work and, needless to say, the wood is beautiful.
Thanks for the critique David, I appreciate it. It helps me see things I overlook.

Very nice-actually I would say great piece!
What do you use for hollowing?
At Totally Turning in March I plan on buying the Jamieson hollowing system from Lyle.
Thank you Brian. I use 4 homemade(not mine) tools. 7/16 square bars with 1/4" tips glued in at different angles.

Thanks again for your comments and encouragement!:)

Bob Bergstrom
02-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Wow!! Without the Sharpie in the last picture I would have believed it was bigger. Whatever the scale, it sure is a beaut. Great job on all aspects.

Mike Cruz
02-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Baxter, that is unbelievable! Your pen making abilities have got you making EXACT replicas of sharpies! How did you get that oval so perfect?

Wow, I didn't know you had it in ya. That is a very dainty piece. It does, of course, dare little fingers to touch it, though.

Harry Robinette
02-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Outstanding I really like the look of this piece,excellent work.
I seen in the English woodturning book to use a laser level in vertical mode to line up the base,body and finial.Really looked like neat idea.
Harry

Kathy Marshall
02-03-2011, 12:18 AM
It's a beauty for sure!

Dennis Ford
02-03-2011, 9:51 AM
WOW!!
That is exceptional.

steven carter
02-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Very nice Baxter! Extremely versatile piece, you should be proud of this one.

Art Manansala
02-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Wow, really fantastic. I think this is the nicest work I've seen posted. It seems to have an inner glow.

Thanks!

Baxter Smith
02-03-2011, 7:48 PM
.....It does, of course, dare little fingers to touch it, though.
Thanks Mike. The little fingers that visit our house each day are pretty good but when it leaves the top of my table saw, it probably won't go onto a table in the house.;):)

Very nice Baxter! Extremely versatile piece, you should be proud of this one.
Thanks Steven. Yes, I suppose it is versatile. Can collect dust in any form.:)

Outstanding I really like the look of this piece,excellent work.
I seen in the English woodturning book to use a laser level in vertical mode to line up the base,body and finial.Really looked like neat idea.
Harry
Thanks Harry. I am not quite sure how or what the lazer would do. Care to elaborate? I am kind of dense!

Wow, really fantastic. I think this is the nicest work I've seen posted. It seems to have an inner glow.

Thanks!

Thanks Art. I think that light spot/glow was created by the oil not being absorbed quite as much at that point. Accidental but neat!

Thanks again for taking the time to comment!

Brian Effinger
02-03-2011, 10:42 PM
A wonderful piece, Baxter. It has such a light and airy feel, that I would almost expect it to float away. Well done, good sir! :)

Linda Persoon
02-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Baxter, I agree with all the positive comments above. It is a beauty! Well done.

Michelle Rich
02-04-2011, 7:36 AM
A #1 Baxter It's a beauty

John Keeton
02-04-2011, 8:34 AM
Baxter, the article regarding the use of a laser was also in the most recent AAW journal, and it was a submission by Larry Sefton of TN. What he did was take the laser level used for running trim, etc. in a room, and turn it vertical about 5 feet from the work, which has been placed against a wall. By casting the vertical beam on the piece, he is able to align the pedestal, the form, and the finial in perfect alignment - rotating the piece to assure it is aligned from all angles.

Baxter Smith
02-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks John, I haven't recieved that issue yet but did find it online and understand what Harry was referring to. It was kind of what I thought. I had turned a very short tenon on the top of the pedestal and bottom of the finial to line things up. They didn't show up very well in the pictures.