PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 20" planer

raymond Abel
02-02-2011, 12:02 PM
allo
note: English is not my mother langage

My question: I am looking for a 20" helical cutterhead (no blades)
Do you have any comment about the Laguna platinium série MPLAN2010-0130?

Same question about the powermatic 209HH #1701315?

Thanks for your time
Ray

Van Huskey
02-02-2011, 3:13 PM
First, welcome and I must say your written English is better than many for whom it is their mother language!

Second both of the 20" planers you mention can be considered generic 4 post planers. So their function design and function will be very similar. Two differences would be the PM has a Byrd head and the Laguna's head is made in Asia, the other being PM has a 5 year warranty compared to the Laguna's one year warranty. Those two are priced very similarly with the Laguna "listing" for more. Though I have not used the Laguna only spent maybe 2 minutes looking at one at a show I have used the PM. Based on the head and the warranty I would pick the PM.

This all said given that these are 4 post planers I would also consider the Grizzly G0454Z it has an Asian spiral head and be about $2,600 shipped.

I do not know if you are located, all my price information is based on the US.

raymond Abel
02-02-2011, 5:44 PM
I am in Québec, Canada
I thing that his twin brother is sell by Craftex or Shopfox in Canada

I will take your advise in my decision

Ray

Van Huskey
02-02-2011, 6:01 PM
I am in Québec, Canada
I thing that his twin brother is sell by Craftex or Shopfox in Canada

I will take your advise in my decision

Ray

You are correct at least I know there is a family tie. Grizzly now sells and ships to Canada but I don't know how that changes the economic viability of the Grizzly machines.

http://www.grizzly.com/qa_questions.aspx?#08a

raymond Abel
02-02-2011, 7:13 PM
Thanks but I think I am going to look closer to the Shopfox because I have a Shopfox dealer very close to me.
Well a lot to think about.

My main choise: PM or Shopfox...
Just to let you know what kind of hobbyiest wookworker I am, I have a ind. SawStaop with a Incra fence.
So I like to buy only once.

Thanks for your time & advice
Ray