PDA

View Full Version : ARA Las Vegas 2011

David Lavaneri
02-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Less than a month to go, before the award and engraving industry's "Greatest Show on Earth"!

Go to www.ara.org for more info.

Advance registration is recommended, which ends Feb. 10, 2011.

I'm not affiliated with ARA, just a fan of this show, which I attend annually.

It's not just an engravers thing!

Check it out, won'tcha!

:)

Mike Null
02-02-2011, 12:23 PM
David

Thanks for the reminder. Sorry I can't make it this year but last year was a great time!

Robert Walters
02-02-2011, 1:12 PM
Looks like Roy Brewer will be giving a couple of seminars this year.

Martin Boekers
02-02-2011, 8:12 PM
One of these years I'd like to make, but for now all my budget allows is NBM :-(

David Lavaneri
02-03-2011, 12:57 PM
David

Thanks for the reminder. Sorry I can't make it this year but last year was a great time!

Mike,

The good news is, the show is held every year.

The better news is, I finally got to meet you in-person, which was a pleasure.

:)

Dee Gallo
02-03-2011, 2:00 PM
I'd love to go but it is a bad time of the year for traveling from where I am. One of these years....

Oh - if any of you do attend, please report back if you see the Xenetech Duo Combination Laser/Drag Engraver. Sounds interesting!

thanks, dee

Steve Clarkson
02-03-2011, 6:20 PM
I've never been to the show, but might consider going this year. It looks expensive for non-ARA members ($75 fee to get in and then $50 per seminar)......is this one of those shows that you can get free tickets from suppliers for?

And for those that have gone before......any money saving tips you can share?

Mike Null
02-04-2011, 4:49 AM
Steve

I'm not aware of free tickets for this one. Plan to pay. It is the best of all the engraving shows and will open your eyes to techniques, materials and equipment.

David Lavaneri
02-04-2011, 5:22 PM
I'd love to go but it is a bad time of the year for traveling from where I am. One of these years....

Oh - if any of you do attend, please report back if you see the Xenetech Duo Combination Laser/Drag Engraver. Sounds interesting!

thanks, dee

Dee,

I understand you attended the Great Lakes Engravers Conference.

I was there as an exhibitor. I'm a fan of your work and was disappointed that we didn't get to meet.

I hear there will be a repeat performance of that conference, but I'm not sure I'll be able to show up this year. Possibly.

David Lavaneri
02-04-2011, 5:24 PM
I've never been to the show, but might consider going this year. It looks expensive for non-ARA members ($75 fee to get in and then $50 per seminar)......is this one of those shows that you can get free tickets from suppliers for?

And for those that have gone before......any money saving tips you can share?

Steve,

No exhibitor passes to the show. I'm not a member of ARA and pay to go to the LV show each year.

It's worth it!

Bruce Clumpner
02-04-2011, 7:55 PM
This will be my 2nd year... Last year I figured out it was cheaper to buy a membership than pay for all the seminars I was interested in. If you're looking to cut rates, I've found a price to really beat the host hotel. Unfortunately it's at Circus Circus, but I'm in for $28/night vs. $150/night, and it's not too bad, just don't eat there. And it's only a 10 minute walk directly to the convention center, but last year with free parking and traffic being so light that I took the car for 2 days.

Ron Chapellaz
02-04-2011, 11:04 PM
I will be heading off to the show, and this will be my second time there. I am registered to attend 8 seminars over the course of 3 days. Joining is well worth it as non members pay $49 for each seminar, while members are free. There are a few in-depth seminars approx. 3.5 hours long each that cost $120 for members and $190 for non members. Non members pay $75. entrance fee each to visit the show room floor while members are free to enter. A membership covers up to 4 individuals to enter the show (if memory serves me correctly). As a member you also receive the Friday breakfast and annual meeting for free. A retailer membership is $195 for 1 year.
Dee, I do plan on looking at the duo laser/engraver as well. Tom "Laserbuzz", Roy Brewer, and Mike Dean and many others will be putting on seminars there.
All in all, it is a very informative show and every engraver should experience this show at least once!
If anyone has questions feel free to ask or visit http://www.aralasvegas.com/ I am not affiliated with the show in any way. I just wanted to give details about the show to the members here... If any of you plan to go, let me know as a few of us may plan to get together.

Terry Swift
02-05-2011, 9:41 AM
Yes, going this year.

As all said - paying the $199 is usually the cheapest route plus your part of the org.

Hope to see many of you there. I'm staying at the Monte Carlo and will have to take the monorail; but me and my wife got in for 6 nights at the Monte Carlo & airfare from DFW (expensive location) for $500 each person.

Ron and I are getting together finally after meeting on this site. He's at the Cosmopolitan at City Center. Would be good to meet all other on SMC as well. Maybe set up a night for a SMC Dinner / Get-together somewhere. Texas de Brazil is great food ($$$) and a little down off the Strip past Mandalay Bay.

I wouldn't stay at the Hilton. It's old and a dump in my opinion. You're right at the Convention Center; but you have to sleep somewhere and at $150 a night - that's not a very good rate. You could get into the Belllagio for that.

I'll be doing ASI-Dallas (Feb 16-18 I think) and NBM - Austin, TX (March 23-25). I'm in FREE to these two show; so only hotel and food in Austin for me.

Joe Pelonio
02-05-2011, 10:57 PM
I have been before and it is something worth going to at least every few years. I'm passing on it this year as I have to go to a different 3 day conference in Vegas in mid April.

Ron Chapellaz
02-17-2011, 12:59 AM
If anyone is interested in getting together either at the ARA show or for a bite to eat afterwards PM me and let me know. We could all meet together and go out for supper one night. Did you design us a shirt yet Bruce! LOL!
It would be nice to meet a few of the people from the forum. I am meeting up with Terry Swift from the forum here and we're taking in a few seminars together.

Joseph Tovar
02-17-2011, 5:02 AM
Anyone going to be there Wednesday? I'd like to meet some of the other members from this forum, but I only have time for lunch on Wed. Just curious, but how is anyone finding each other?

Ron Chapellaz
02-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Hi Joseph,
I PM'd you my schedule for the ARA show. I think we will try and use the forum to see who is interested in getting together and go from there. Lunch may be hard for some due to the seminars going on Tues -Thurs.

steph brown
02-21-2011, 4:41 PM
I'll be attending the show with my husband. We bought the local engraving business in our town last october and are looking to learn a lot and get up to speed through the seminars. Winter is slow, but our community supports small local businesses. Spring is coming and we're making great connections. Flying into Vegas tonight around 830. -stephanie
Epilog 24x18 45watt
Roland EGX-300

Mike Null
02-21-2011, 5:11 PM
Steph

Welcome to SMC. Take plenty of time to visit with various suppliers; particularly with JDS and Johnson Plastics, Tropar, some glass suppliers.

Also have a hard look at dye sublimation and color laser transfer.

Have a great show.

Ron Chapellaz
02-23-2011, 2:50 AM
Welcome to the forum! I Sent you a PM Stephanie, maybe we'll see each other there.