PDA

View Full Version : Frozen wood

kevin nee
02-02-2011, 11:37 AM
I have been reading a little about frozen wood. I have to make a bowl out of a 10" inch round by 16" long Walnut log that has been out side since cut.
Should I bring it inside for a couple days or just do it? I plan to do natural edge
and I have to have it done for the SUPER BOWL this Sunday.
Any input would be appreciated. I am in Massachusetts and it has been cold.
Thanks in advance,

Fred Perreault
02-02-2011, 12:15 PM
While you are waiting for answers, just bring it in to stabilize for a while... however long you can wait. It probably isn't going to get much drier, but it would be better to have it at shop temperature for a few hours, at least.

Nathan Hawkes
02-02-2011, 1:08 PM
You probably can leave it outside til just a few hours before you want to turn it; I've turned frozen wood before; it thawed very quickly. At the point of chisel contact, the ice sublimated into steam, which was pretty cool to see up close. One more thing that you need to consider; if your wood isn't sealed, it is going to start checking as soon as it is thawed out. This is a big benefit to leaving it out as long as possible.

Richard Madden
02-02-2011, 1:40 PM
Just turn away. I don't wait for wood to thaw. Hopefully it was sealed.

William Bachtel
02-02-2011, 3:17 PM
I like turning my N/E bowls when frozen. I find that the sapwood doesn't discolor, and it will leave less of a tooling mark. I also sand it frozen if I get it done in time. I wood also make sure it is 3/8 inch or thinner, less cracks , also don't heat up the bowl when sanding or it will crack for sure. Sand at low speeds, us open coat paper. Also I like the room temperture to be below 55 degrees, wood will stay frozen longer. Maple, Cherry, Walnut, wood with a white sapwood, can and will discolor fast when the temperture is above 55. This method will let you turn it start to finish with the least amount of problems.