PDA

View Full Version : LN or LV for Low Angle Jack?

Jim Paulson
02-02-2011, 10:44 AM
I'd like to know what you all think about the differences between the LN and the LV low angle jack. I already appreciate the quality of LN tools, but I'm open to looking to making my first purchase of a LV plane.

I am hoping to get a LA jack plane to use with my shooting boards. Please advise me of your thoughts. Weather permitting I might get to see some LV planes at a show this weekend.:)

Jim

paul cottingham
02-02-2011, 10:49 AM
I have a friend with the LN plane, and I have the LV. I find the LV to be stouter, and bigger, so I prefer it. I love shooting with it. The LN sure is pretty tho'.

Jon Toebbe
02-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I took the LN for a test drive at one of their Hand Tool Events (make time, if there's one close to you...). Beautiful, cut wonderfully, simple adjustments. I went with the LV for the additional adjustability and limit set screws. Some object to the more upright tote, but I like it. It's a four-finger plane, so the lack of deep curves in the tote don't bother me at all. Definitely go check out the LV planes this weekend -- the differences between the LV and LN amount to personal preference.

lowell holmes
02-02-2011, 12:40 PM
I have the LV bu Jack and Smoother. I am completely satisfied. I have all of the irons and they fit both planes.

Glen J. Peterson
02-02-2011, 7:27 PM
I have the LN low angle jack and love it. I haven't used the LV, but I'm very impressed with their products. I have a LV shoulder planes and their dovetail saw and love them both.
Glen

Casey Gooding
02-02-2011, 8:48 PM
I have the LN plane and it's my favorite metal plane. I'm sure the LV is a fine tool, but I've never loved their handles. All in all, I don't think you would go wrong with either one.

David Gilbert
02-02-2011, 9:08 PM
I have all three of the LV bevel up planes, the smoother, jack and jointer. The feature that I really like is that all blades for these planes are interchangeable. I have a total of five blades, two low, two medium and one high angle and this really gives you some flexibility when you run into a troublesome piece of wood. I think that the LN bevel up jack's blade can be interchanged with one other plane. The other feature that I like is the Norris style adjuster and the screws LV put in to limit the side to side movement.

I have used friends' LN bevel up jack and also used it at one of their shows and it is a lovely plane. You will love either one that you buy.

The only problem that I have found with the bevel up planes is that it is very difficult to put a camber across the plane blade. With the standard Stanley planes it's pretty easy but these blades are so thick that there is a lot of steel to grind away. Derek Cohen has a posting about doing this but I haven't tried it: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTechniques/TheSecretToCamberinBUPlaneBlades.html

Good luck and enjoy your new toys,
David

Jim Paulson
02-02-2011, 11:16 PM
I have all three of the LV bevel up planes, the smoother, jack and jointer. The feature that I really like is that all blades for these planes are interchangeable. I have a total of five blades, two low, two medium and one high angle and this really gives you some flexibility when you run into a troublesome piece of wood. I think that the LN bevel up jack's blade can be interchanged with one other plane. The other feature that I like is the Norris style adjuster and the screws LV put in to limit the side to side movement.

Thanks guys for the advice.

David and Lowell,
I like the idea of having multiple bevel up blades that can be used in different situations and provide flexibility with grain. It helps that the LV is a bit cheaper as well. I'll check out Derek's post on sharpening thicker plane irons with a camber.

Jim

Jim Koepke
02-02-2011, 11:30 PM
I have the LN #62 and love it. I can not imagine being any less impressed by the LV model. The LV may be ahead on a feature or two. LN does have the optional hot dog.

As far as the handle is concerned, you do not hang onto the handle when using the plane on a shooting board.

Another option on the camber was also in a recent post of mine:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?158373

jtk

Jim Paulson
02-03-2011, 5:58 PM
I have the LN #62 and love it. I can not imagine being any less impressed by the LV model. The LV may be ahead on a feature or two. LN does have the optional hot dog.

Thanks Jim,

I take it that you are pretty happy with the hot dog feature from previous posts. After having yours for awhile now, is it worth it to have the hot dog feature?

I have previously favored LN planes, but now I am more open to looking at the LV. I appreciated all the comments and hopefully, I'll get to look at a LV low angle jack in the near future. My first inclination is to let the blade stay straight across and leave it for shooting. But I suspect I'll want to try using in it a bunch of applications, hence the benefits of multiple blades so that one or more can include camber.

Take care,
Jim

Joel Goodman
02-03-2011, 6:04 PM
It's worth noting that the LV is basically a BU 5 1/2; the LN is a 5 in size. I have the LN and it's a great plane but I'm sure the LV is also excellent. I would pick based on which size you favor.

jamie shard
02-03-2011, 6:37 PM
I am hoping to get a LA jack plane to use with my shooting boards.

I would like to self-servingly complicate Jim's request and pose a slightly different question: for folks that have LA jacks >>and<< the LN shooting plane (#9) --- is there a big difference between using a LA jack and a dedicated shooting plane? Should Jim get a #9? :D

(it's self-serving because I'm wondering myself)

Jim R Edwards
02-03-2011, 7:44 PM
I have a Lee Valley and like it very much.

Don Dorn
02-03-2011, 8:44 PM
I have the LV and like it allot. I chose it because of the lateral adjuster as opposed to having to use a hammer. That said, if I had to do it again, I'd probably go with the LN. It's not a quality difference, but I find that my LV goes out of lateral adjustment and I have to fuss a little bit to get it back where I want it - perhaps I'm just not tightening it down enough. I will say however, that I've discovred a tap of a small hammer, I'm able to bring it back to adjustment quicker, crank it down a little and go back to work.

Jeff Bartley
02-04-2011, 9:41 AM
Don,
Doesn't the LV have set screws to lock in the lateral adjustment? Are these coming loose? Or is it the top part of the blade coming loose?
Jeff

Sam Takeuchi
02-04-2011, 9:53 AM
Don, if your blade moves, you probably don't have it tightened enough. Remember, lever cap should be loosened when making lateral or depth adjustment, just snug enough that there is no free movement, but adjustment is easy. When done, tighten it back. If your blade moves when in use, there is an issue somewhere and probably easily fixed unless there is a major flaw somewhere.

Jim Paulson
02-04-2011, 11:08 AM
comments on LV upright tote?

Heh guys great discussion. I'd love to hear more about your take on the tote for the LV low angle jack plane. Do any of you have any complaints about the shape of it or the more vertical orientation? I'll hopefully get to look at one Saturday, but Schwarz, I believe, had some problems with the tote in a blog on Low Angle Jack Planes. Something about his experiencing some fatique with it...

Jim

Sam Takeuchi
02-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Shape and orientation of LV handle is perfectly fine by me. I have no complaints even after hours of use. It has more wholesome grip feel to it than vintage Stanley and/or LN handle. I think this is really down to personal preference here and no matter what other people say, you'll end up liking or hating it when you use it.

If you are mainly concerned with shooting purposes, it's not an issue.

Jeff Bartley
02-04-2011, 5:12 PM
Has anyone here carved a new tote for a LV? Is it possible to replicate the shape of a vintage Stanley on a LV? Like, does the screw geometry match close enough?
Sam, is the 'more wholesome grip feel' a larger handle? I've never handled either the LN or the LV but I have help a couple vintage Stanleys. Whatever I do this year I'm gonna make it a point to get to a woodworking show for some test drives!

Sam Takeuchi
02-04-2011, 5:37 PM
I think Derek (Cohen) has a vintage-ish handle on his LV LA jack. I don't know if he has a tutorial on that. Also Alf (not sure if she's active here, she is in other forums though) has a pictorial on making and fitting vintage-ish handle on her LV LA jack as well here (http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/planetote.html). I haven't done anything to mine.

LV handles are more oval shaped and have distinctively wider flat area. Circumference of these handles are a lot larger than vintage handles. Vintage handles are more round in shape overall with little to no flats. Thickness wise, I think LV handles are thicker, but I may be wrong. While vintage handles can be little cramped when gripped with all four fingers, LA jack (also BU smoother and jointer) handle feels larger and roomier due to it designed for four finger grip. Some people really dislike that handle with passion. LV LA jack's handle is secured onto the body with two bolts. If you read Alf's pictorial, you'll realize it can be a tricky endeavor to get a clean modification on the stock handle. I can think of various way to deal with that, but for one I'm glad I don't feel the need to do anything to it.