PDA

View Full Version : Local (Denver) Sources for hardwood and sheet goods

Steve Kelsey
02-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Does anyone have recommendations for hardwood and sheet good suppliers in the Denver metro area? I'm looking for oak, oak veneer ply and cabinet grade ply mainly to start with.

Thanks in advance!

Bill Franklin
02-02-2011, 12:36 AM
I picked up some nice quartersawn white oak at Sears Trostel in Fort Collins at Christmas time. I know it is a drive, but they were going to be moving soon and one of the workers there told me there would be a sale. Might be worth a call. Good luck.

Gary Benson
02-02-2011, 9:45 AM
Steve,
The main sources for hardwood and sheet goods are Austin Hardwoods and Paxton. Both have a pretty good selection, are easy to deal with, but neither are exactly discount operations. Good luck with the search.
Gary

Steve Kelsey
02-02-2011, 1:07 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. Much appreciated.

Joe Angrisani
02-02-2011, 3:00 PM
Steve....

No sheet goods, but try TC Hardwoods in Lafayette (9776 Arapahoe, east of Boulder). Pretty good assortment, including matching flitches. They're a small sawmill operation that sells their own wood. http://www.tcwoods.com/index.html

I've heard tell of a place out near Golden or western Lakewood. Anybody know anything about a place out there?

Dan Friedrichs
02-02-2011, 4:08 PM
I've heard tell of a place out near Golden or western Lakewood. Anybody know anything about a place out there?

I've seen their building - the Golden Hardwood Emporium. Never been inside, though...

Richard Gonzalez
02-02-2011, 10:32 PM
If you are near Denver, you should think about joining the Colorado Woodworkers Guild. One benefit is 10% off at Austin, Paxton, Woodcraft, Rockler ...

Next monthly meeting is Feb. 15th, Rockler basement 6:00 PM

www.coloradowoodworkersguild.com (http://www.coloradowoodworkersguild.com)

Richard

Mark A Johnson
02-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Sears Trosel in Ft Collins has both sheet goods and hardwood.

Collectors Specialty Woods for hardwood and unique pieces.

Joe Angrisani
02-03-2011, 5:39 PM
Mark.... Yeah - someday I'm going to stop at CSW on one of my trips to Albuquerque. But they aren't exactly close to Denver unless you consider a 4+ hour roundtrip short. :)

Dan.... Thanks. Punching them into MapQuest shows them just east of I-70, which explains why you've seen them. I must have driven by on that part of I-70 five hundred times in 20 years. Can't believe it never caught my eye.

Just to keep it as an information source in this thread:
The Golden Hardwood Emporium
16049 W 4th Ave
Golden, CO 80401

Philip Rodriquez
02-04-2011, 1:38 PM
Red Rocks Community College has a good resource page in their FWW section.

Mark A Johnson
02-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Joe, Collectors does deliveries here to the Denver metro area. If you not in a hurry they can combine it another customers order. That gives you 2 options, one you can meet the driver at one of his stops, or for some extra $ they will deliver to you. I meet the driver at one of his stops in Boulder, and picked up with no problem. Ask for Eric is good about working with you.

Joe Angrisani
02-05-2011, 3:25 PM
Sweet ! ! !

Sean Nagle
02-05-2011, 4:38 PM
Consolidated Hardwoods in Broomfield has some of the best sheet goods available in the area.