PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Version of Ci0 Carbide Tipped Gouge/Scraper

James Combs
02-01-2011, 8:52 PM
I am about finished with a home made version of a carbide tipped turning tool. I am modeling it after the Easy Wood full size finisher in that I am using the same carbide insert. This is my first one and I consider it a prototype. I will be using better materials if I make another.

Here is a shot of the material before I got started.
Includes:
1/2" cold roll that I picked up for $5-6 (5/8" also shown but not used)
Ci0 carbide. (about $20)
Old pallet runner ($3) maybe soft maple, not sure??
Total investment excluding labor = about $30

The Ci0 carbide.

180870 180869
I cut a 12.5 inch of the 1/2" cold roll Turned one end for a tang and here I am milling the mounting for the carbide. Tapped a #8-32 hole for mounting the carbide.

Here is the finished hardware. I sanded off the black coating then rubbed it down with Top Saver and then waxed it. I will probably still rust but my next one will be SS.

180868 180872 180867
These are some closeups of the metal with carbide installed. Had to do a little Dremel stone work just above the carbide to get the slope away from the carbide. The remainder of the end shaping was done on my belt sanders.

John Keeton
02-01-2011, 8:55 PM
JD, that looks like it would work!! You should bring it to the club meeting Thursday nite for show and tell - kind of a stealth reminder on the meeting.;):D

James Combs
02-01-2011, 9:00 PM
A close up of the tang. Added three groves to the end to catch epoxy in the handle.

Found this in one of my old hardware bins. I have no idea what it is for or where I got it but it will make a dandy ferrule.

180877 180875
Here it is installed on the beginnings of the handle. I keep the internal threads and step turned the end of the handle. The threads screw onto the step. I then turned off the hex and blended it with the curve of the handle. Really looks nice I think.

Here is a shot of the handle on the lathe. I am actually using the new cutter to help make it's own handle. This is as far as I got today.

I will post a finished photo of the tool once it is assembled and finished.

I had a question for everyone at this point but have since forgotten what it was???

James Combs
02-01-2011, 9:02 PM
Thanks, I needed the reminder. :o

Roger Chandler
02-01-2011, 9:06 PM
Great photo tutorial there James. Looks like a great tool............I have been thinking about one of those, but just did not want to add another $100 plus tool to my already crowded tool drawer,especially when I get along pretty well with a bowl gouge.

David E Keller
02-01-2011, 9:10 PM
That looks great! You've got quite a setup for tool making as well as the talent to use it.

James Combs
02-01-2011, 9:12 PM
Great photo tutorial there James. Looks like a great tool............I have been thinking about one of those, but just did not want to add another $100 plus tool to my already crowded tool drawer,especially when I get along pretty well with a bowl gouge.

I have been wanting some bigger tools ever since I got the Jet but just don't have the $$. I didn't realize they were all in it but the last photo shows my entire set of Easy Wood Mini tools. They are great for smaller work and work well for larger work in the finishing stages where you are take smaller finer cuts. but I needed something for hogging and I tend to use the finisher for everything. My next one I think will be one of the radius-ed roughing gouges.

James Combs
02-01-2011, 9:16 PM
That looks great! You've got quite a setup for tool making as well as the talent to use it.

Ever hear the term "shade tree mechanic" it was coined for me.:D:rolleyes: Shade tree machinist would also apply. I would not attempt anything like this for someone else. Although very serviceable for me fit and finish of my tools leave a lot to be desired:eek:

dan carter
02-01-2011, 9:45 PM
Good looking tool. I am sure you will enjoy using it.

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Great looking tool James. Let us know how it works for ya.

Glenn Barber
02-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Looks very nice! Have you thought about possibly powder coating the tool shaft to prevent it from rusting? After the powder paint is cured it is pretty tough. Not really sure how long the paint would last before chipping. It'll take quite a beating on some of the fishing jigs I've made. Just a thought.

Glenn