PDA

View Full Version : Turning a lemon into lemonade

Perry Holbrook
02-01-2011, 7:55 PM
Last year I purchased a machine from a major equipment company. I don't want to give specifics because it may sound like bashing, which I am not doing. When I did a test run, I found a major problem that could not be adjusted out. I called their tech support and basically as soon as I briefly stated the problem, the tech said, "We've had problems with that machine, just send it back." I told him that was not acceptable and asked to talk to someone else. He gave me the phone number of the sales manager for my terrority.

Turned out, the sales manager was a good guy, showed concern about my problem and how it had been handled. After attempting to locate a local repair center, we agreed that I could take a look inside the machine and if I could fix it, they would compensate me for my time.

I actually found 2 flaws in their design. One involved relying on maching a casting to very close torrerence, when, if missed, cause very excessive play in two mating surfaces, the other was just poor design. I called the sales guy, who approved me to make any and all changes necessary, which I did plus adding an additional adjustment feature. I took pictures of the changes and submitted a report.

For compensation, I suggested a rather large discount on a future purchase.

The end of the story. Today, I received an industrial duty metal cutting saw, purchased at their mfg cost, and my changes are being tested at their production facility prior to full implementation.

I gotta say, I wasn't very happy after my first call to the tech guy, but now I've got a saw that I would never have any other way.

Just thought I would share.

Perry

Van Huskey
02-01-2011, 8:13 PM
Perry, you sound like you got great CS and if I were the company I would be happy that you used my name and I do not think it would even come close to violating the rules here. You contacted them first and gave the the opportunity to fix it and they fixed the situation to your satisfaction.

Michael Peet
02-02-2011, 8:31 AM
Cool story. They should put you on the payroll.

Mike

Peter Quinn
02-02-2011, 9:00 AM
That's excellent. I can't count the number of times over the years I've been working with a machine and though "Who the bleep bleeping bleepity bleep designed this bleeping thing?" but I've never taken steps to do anything about it, or at least not share any mods with the mfg. Sounds like you made a real contribution to the situation and got some compensation for it. Kudos and contests.

Perry Holbrook
02-02-2011, 9:41 AM
Thanks, I gotta say that after the first call to the tech guy, for a few seconds I felt like coming here and really blasting them, like we've all seen. Glad my cooler side won out.

Perry