PDA

View Full Version : stanley 62

Jeff Bartley
02-01-2011, 7:27 PM
Last night I witnessed something that really surprised me! May be it shouldn't have, may be some others got to witness it as well. On the popular auction sight I watched a stanley 62 with a chipped mouth and a replacement tote (from a #4) sell for $306!

When I first began sliding down this slope I put a low-angle jack on my list and initially thought an old one would eventually find its way into my shop. Then I saw that the 62's in decent shape were priced a bit too high....might as well go for a modern version. Now even the damaged vintage 62's are fetching crazy prices. Are the collectors crazy?

I had broken myself of the habit of looking at auctions but somehow I found myself watching this one last night. It was crazy: in the last minute it went from $160 to $306; I almost fell out of my chair!

At least now I know my only choices are a LV or a LN. I doubt you could go wrong with either of these!

This is far from a rant, just an observation. Looks like the #62 market is the place to invest right now!!!

Update to this story: I just looked at my watchlist and another 62 (in better shape) just sold for $238. Is there no rhyme or reason to this????

Zach Dillinger
02-01-2011, 7:43 PM
Makes my $55 Stanley 62 from eBay look really good... of course mine has a chipped mouth and a cracked tote, neither of which affects use at all.

Jim Koepke
02-01-2011, 8:06 PM
Jeff,

It is beyond explanation.
As for a user, it is my understanding the newer models from LV & LN are less likely to suffer the damages that plagued the old Stanley #62. My LN #62 has never given me any reason to not be happy it is in my shop. Right now, I think I would miss the plane more than the money that was spent on it will ever be missed.

jtk

Jeff Bartley
02-01-2011, 8:53 PM
Zach- that's a sweet score! How long ago did you acquire your 62?
Jim- were you able to try both the LV and the LN before purchasing? I handled one of the new stanley 62's and was less than impressed. I didn't like the feel of the handle one iota....it might make some sweet shavings (didn't get to try it) but I don't think I'd want to reshape a brand new handle!

Zach Dillinger
02-01-2011, 9:04 PM
Jeff,

Got mine about 8 months ago in a poorly labeled lot that also included a Stanley 5 and a Stanley 4 1/2. Put a new IBC blade from Woodcraft in the 62 and man it cuts sweet. I have several LN planes and love them, but I can't imagine the LN 62 cutting any better than my 62.

Jim Koepke
02-01-2011, 9:58 PM
Jim- were you able to try both the LV and the LN before purchasing?

No. I didn't handle the LV before purchasing. I did get to handle the LN.

I can't imagine the LN 62 cutting any better than my 62.

It probably doesn't. The real difference is in the material strength of the body and the change to the mouth adjustment knob. Both of those were weak spots on the original Stanley model. I do not know about the IBC blade, but the LN blade is about 1/4" thick. A good shaving only cares about how sharp the blade, not so much about how thick the blade.

A big difference I just thought about is likely the cost. It is likely a lot less hassle to pick up the LN #62 in pristine user condition than it is the Stanley #62. If one comes along at a price I can jump on, consider me jumping.

Fluffy shavings to you,

jtk

Zach Dillinger
02-01-2011, 10:03 PM
A big difference I just thought about is likely the cost. It is likely a lot less hassle to pick up the LN #62 in pristine user condition than it is the Stanley #62. If one comes along at a price I can jump on, consider me jumping.

jtk

No argument there. Given the market for Stanley 62s, its going to be easier to buy the LN for most.

Jeff Bartley
02-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I didn't even know IBC made a replacement for the 62. You know this information won't help me curb my auction addiction! I guess it never hurts to watch or throw in a low bid........
I've only used old stanley planes so far and have been very happy with all of them (especially the #65 block) but I feel like I sharpen the blades a lot! One of the reasons I'm trying to make the plunge into the LN or LV world is in fact for the blades. Now, an old 62 with a new blade is something I haven't thought about. Thanks for the info!

Derek Cohen
02-02-2011, 8:55 AM
Several years ago I got lucky on eBay with a Stanley #62 for $90. No one wanted it as the advert painted such a dismal picture ...

“Stanley 62 low angle plane – great for parts or show… This one looks good but has a few problems. Mouth enlarged, both sides cut/angled at the very front and there is some mild pitting on one side. The handle has a hairline crack. On the positive side: Most japanning intact, full SW cutter and very good lever cap. Front knob complete with the bottom plate and the adjuster cam. Not recommended as a user but a rare plane with all those hard to get bits and pieces”.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRestorations/Stanley%2062%20Low%20Angle%20Jack%20renovation_htm l_mc6d645b.jpg

The story is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRestorations/Stanley%2062%20Low%20Angle%20Jack%20renovation.htm l

With some work it ended up a fabulous plane ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Restoration/Stanley%2062/Stanley62completed.jpg

It was upgraded with a LN blade, and I must say that I found it just as good as the LN that came later. It has charm and always brings a smile to my face when I use it. For hardwoods, however, I prefer using my LV LA Jack - which is a better, more advanced design and durable construction.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jeff Bartley
02-02-2011, 9:05 AM
Derek,
If you could have only one in your shop which would it be the LV, LN, or the vintage Stanley?? Good job on the restoration of your 62!!!

Derek Cohen
02-02-2011, 9:16 AM
Easy answer. The LV ... it is better equiped, more technologocally advanced, and just outperforms the others in a variety of settings.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Prashun Patel
02-02-2011, 9:25 AM
I got a low angle jack from LV a month back.
I like it fine. I like that the blade interchanges with my bevel up smoother.
I like that there are lateral set screws that keep the blade square.
I like the mouth adjustment.
I like Rob Lee.

Zach Dillinger
02-02-2011, 10:29 AM
I didn't even know IBC made a replacement for the 62. You know this information won't help me curb my auction addiction! I guess it never hurts to watch or throw in a low bid........
I've only used old stanley planes so far and have been very happy with all of them (especially the #65 block) but I feel like I sharpen the blades a lot! One of the reasons I'm trying to make the plunge into the LN or LV world is in fact for the blades. Now, an old 62 with a new blade is something I haven't thought about. Thanks for the info!

Jeff,

I went into my Woodcraft store and asked. The guy said that they had just started to make them (this was during the summer of 2010). Cost was $45 if I remember correctly. Worth every penny.

Jay Bush
02-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I bought a #62 for around $120 about a year ago. I think the increased demand is due to the recent FWW article. It appears to be simmilar to the spike in miter box prices following the popular woodworking article back in November.

Joe A Faulkner
02-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Jeff, I had my eye on that very same plane. Once I saw it jump to over $100, I gave up on it. I've been looking for a 60 1/2 as well, and while there are several out there, there are also lots of folks interested in them.

George Moore
02-03-2011, 8:18 AM
I guess I must be very lucky. I was given a Stanley #62 with the original blade that had never been sharpened.

I have really enjoyed using it. I added a L-N blade and saved the Stanley blade.

Have a Blessed day.
George

James Taglienti
02-03-2011, 2:47 PM
Jeff,

Got mine about 8 months ago in a poorly labeled lot that also included a Stanley 5 and a Stanley 4 1/2. Put a new IBC blade from Woodcraft in the 62 and man it cuts sweet. I have several LN planes and love them, but I can't imagine the LN 62 cutting any better than my 62.

Zach i was watching that lot. Missed the bid. Congrats!