PDA

View Full Version : Work bench - need help

Bill Dempsey
02-01-2011, 7:13 PM
Hi all.
I'm relatively new to the creek and this is 1st post in this forum. I'm an intermediate level woodworker in bad need of a workbench to replace very beat up starter bench. I've not got the time to build one (although I'd love to). I've read the Chris man's book and browsed a few more and have myself convinced I will buy a solid finished product. I'm closely looking at Veritas and Lie=Neilsen (pricy!). I've kicked tires with Grizz, but am put off by poor review of vises in Fine Woodworking article, otherwise nice unit.
I'm a 75% powertool, 25% handtool woodworker and will retire in 3 to 4 years. This will easily be last bench I purchase. So, I'm ok with doing it right. I've got the room for an 8 footer.

Would appreciate any and all advise, especially from those with experience with the Veritas and LN benches.

Bruce Seidner
02-01-2011, 8:22 PM
Value and quality are always considerations. But is there an absolute budget?

You haven't mentioned Laguna tools, but then I just got a flyer from Harbor Freight in the mail today. This clearly covers a lot of $$ground and I wouldn't want to presume anything.Both represent good values in ready made benches. There is a wide range of resources and a bottom line of respect that I have observed in this forum.

Bill Dempsey
02-01-2011, 11:32 PM
Well. I'm thinking the quality end of things will result in a 2k cost level, so that would be no suprise. I'm familiar with Laguna for machiney, but not workbenches. I'll take a look. HF, really?

glenn bradley
02-01-2011, 11:39 PM
I think HF was an example of a price point given no price range to suggest from. I am just imagining the bench I could make for $2k. Mine was about $200.

McKay Sleight
02-03-2011, 5:58 PM
There is nothing more that I detest than to use a tool that will not do the job. I work a fair amount with hand tools and find that the heavier the bench, the better. I need a second bench and I am considering getting logs from Slaterhouse. They build log homes and I can purchase the logs for the legs and top for under $400. I would not make a knock down bench. I feel that this will only lead to movement. My own needs for a vice are a face vice and and end vice or wagon vice. I built a dovetail jig that raises the piece being cut about 6". This jig is a double screw variety and I only need a double screw when I dovetail. I used Laguna tools extensively and found them to be very good. I would think that the bench would be the same quality. HF is good to buy tarps, but beyond tarps, I would never consider them for any serious tool.