View Full Version : Favorite braces

Mike Holbrook
02-01-2011, 6:04 PM
Just completed my collection of braces:
8"
Stanley #813G
Miller Falls #733

10"
Miller Falls #1710 & #772 (repairing frozen Lion chuck)

12"
Stanley #813G-12"

14"
Pexto Sampson 8014B- 14"

I found Stanley still offers replacement jaws for some braces and ordered a couple to check them out. One of the jaws appears to match the jaws on the 813G I had. I felt good about going for another 813G knowing I might have some ability to repair probably the most fragile part of these braces.

I don't much care to drive small to medium size screws with a power drill. I like the small fast 8" braces due to their good speed and superior control.

The larger braces I plan to use to drive lag screws/bolts, drill difficult holes and run in nuts & bolts.

I am wondering what size/kind of braces others have/like and why....

Jonathan McCullough
02-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm liking Fray braces with Spofford-style chucks. They're simple, well made, light, and very functional. The big chucks on regular ratchet braces are heavy, unwieldy, and in actual use are unnecessary most of the time.

One thing I've been really enjoying for the small- to medium-sized screws is a Yankee 130 automatic screwdriver. Those things are awesome. I've been picking those up every time I see one and keep two in my tool box--one Philips head and one slotted.

Tom Vanzant
02-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I can't really say I have a favorite. I am cleaning up a pair that were my grandfather's... a Stanley #966 10" Victor, and a Worth 10", unk model, w/ratchet. Both are sound and work well. There was also a small assortment of bits, most in good shape. More later....

Roy Griggs
02-02-2011, 12:24 AM
My favorites are the Stanley Bell Systems 2101A braces and the Stanley 975N. My only 14" is a Millers Falls but I don't remember the model No. but it's a ratchet type which is what I prefer. I guess I like these because they were the ones I was attracted to and collected (the Stanleys). They are smooth operating and robust.
The 14" MF is my go to brace for larger bits 3/4" and up...
I like the 8" braces for driving medium screws and using reamers...

I got a couple 6" braces that are good for small sized bits

Mike Holbrook
02-02-2011, 1:15 AM
Jonathan you are not letting one little bad/frustrating experience with a particular Lion chuck sour you on the big guys are you?

You had to bring the ratcheting screwdrivers into this too, I figured they would show up. I like the feel of my Millers Falls #61 & 62 drivers better than the Yankees but the Millers Falls drivers use harder to find bits. I like the simpler springless drivers better so far too, as they seem less apt to fall off screws and mar work. Has anyone found a good way to adapt more modern bits to the older Miller Falls screwdrivers? I have plans to drive quite a few GRK star drive or torx screws and I also have quite a few Robertson type screws. I found nice quick attach hex adapters for Yankee screwdrivers at Lee Valley. These adapters have a great mechanism for locking bits in place during use and quickly releasing them for changes. The bit holders seem to work well with all single hex shafts. There are three sizes of these adapters the medium size fits the #61 MF screwdrivers well but the larger size is just a little too large for the #62. Apparently there is a significant size difference between the large Yankee and Millers Falls ratcheting screwdrivers. I imagine I could shave a little off a large Yankee adapter with my belt sander so it would fit in the #62. The hex shafts do seem to work fairly well in my two jaw braces and three jaw hand drills.

Since I am invested in the springless Miller Falls screwdrivers I am thinking about investing in Yankee screwdrivers with springs. I have even thought about purchasing a contemporary German ratcheting screwdriver to get one with a head that takes hex bits. Since I have some bits and hex adapters from Lee Valley that will fit the Yankee drivers though I will probably just go that route. The older devices seem to have a more pleasing solid feel to them. I would hate to start using tools that are not used again.

I thought about trying one of those Fray simple/light braces but they seem pretty scarce to me. I don't see them up for auction very often and when I do they seem expensive for something that simple. You Neanders are probably running prices up again, grrrr. I guess the Fray braces would fall somewhere between the Yankee drivers and heavier braces in terms of their ability to drive larger screws? I actually like the weight and authority the heavier braces bring to work, although it is nice to have options. Lee Valley also offers: hex bit extensions (6, 12 & 18 "), a tilting bit holder and hex, socket & tenon brace adapters that would make it easier to use a brace in tighter situations where the control and power would be useful.

Peter Pedisich
02-02-2011, 7:42 AM
Just a side note on spiral screwdrivers, Harry J Epstein of Kansas City, Mo., has on closeout a German-made, Craftsman brand spiral screwdriver in the smaller size. Probably made by the same company that makes the new Yankee versions sold elsewhere for $50-60, but made for Sears with a different handle. I got one, it was only $15, and it works great!

Pam Niedermayer
02-02-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm liking Fray braces with Spofford-style chucks. They're simple, well made, light, and very functional. The big chucks on regular ratchet braces are heavy, unwieldy, and in actual use are unnecessary most of the time. ...

Me, too.

Pam

Chuck Nickerson
02-02-2011, 1:19 PM
Mike H - you need to add a 6" and 16" sweep as well.

Besides my ratcheting braces (6" - 16"), I've also got Fray/Spoffords in sweeps of 7", 8", 10", 12", 14" and 17".

I don't have a brace problem, I really, really don't.

Chuck

Jonathan McCullough
02-02-2011, 1:51 PM
No--got plenty of regular ratcheting type braces--they're mostly what's out there. I mostly look for bright nickel, enclosed ratchets, smaller sizes. It's a shame the 6" sweeps aren't more common--they're awfully handy and quick when you need speed and a little more torque for screws. Another thing there ought to be more of in this world are spring loaded screw retainers for when you can't hold a screw with one hand.

Link (h/t hyperkitten.com). (http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/ads/display_ad.php?picture_file=yankee17_mid.jpg)

Sean Hughto
02-02-2011, 1:54 PM
2101s 8" and 10"

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3120/2730027965_91d50cbefa_o.jpg

Jim Koepke
02-02-2011, 3:32 PM
My 2101a 8" is my most often used. Not sure what the numbers are on my other Stanley 10" and 16". The get used on bigger bits.

jtk

Mike Holbrook
02-03-2011, 12:59 AM
I didn't even know there was a 16" brace made, ohhh no! The 6" braces are rare enough. I didn't recall seeing a 16" on the Millers Falls braces pages so I checked it out and dang there is a 16"? I don't know how anyone would ever find all those sizes in Fray... braces. Glad Chuck is around to make me look like a brace miser. I read Millers Falls offered 135 different braces in a single catalog at one time, kinda humbling.

I like the smaller braces too. I find that Robertson and sometimes the star drive screws will stay on their bits without the need for a supporting hand.

Andrew Yang
02-04-2011, 2:51 PM
Any pictures of your collection? I ordered a brace from Brass City, but it's been lost in the mail system for almost 2 1/2 months now.

Paul Erickson
02-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Yankee 2100's (8" , 10" and 12") and 14" 2101.

cheers, Paul

Dan Andrews
02-07-2011, 8:33 AM
181597My user braces are: 6" Millers Falls No. 32 - I leave a countersink chucked up in it most of the time.

8" Victor No. 945 - Although a cheapie, it is light weight and great for smaller bits. My most frequent user.
8" Fray Spofford - Just purchased partially due to Pam N.'s recommendations. I haven't even used it yet.

10" MF No. 772 - Lyon Brace. Workhorse that sees frequent use.

12" P. S. & W. No. 1101 - Great for larger bits.

14" P. S. & W. No. 7014 - I bought this to drive a hollow tennon augar and a chain drill attachment. New acquisitions I have yet to use.