PDA

View Full Version : Corel Question!

Brie -Anne Bryan
02-01-2011, 4:54 PM
I'm relatively new to Corel, so please forgive me for asking this question....
I have some circles with text already set up and ready to run to the laser...but now the medal they are for has changed and I need to resize them....
Is there an easy way in to corel to resize all of them at once or do I have to resize every single one individuallly?

Much appreciation to anyone who can help me out.

Thanks!!:)

Bruce Volden
02-01-2011, 5:06 PM
Select all, type in the new value (circle diameter), presto---should work fine.

Bruce

Larry Bratton
02-01-2011, 5:19 PM
Ummm..I'm not sure that will work. When you select all you get the overall dimension of the selection in the value box.
Do you have "text fitted to a path"?

Brie -Anne Bryan
02-01-2011, 5:39 PM
No, there is no text fitted to a path.

oscar martinez
02-01-2011, 5:48 PM
Each circle has the same text or the circles are with diferent text.?
can you post the file for more easy to assist you.
Atte Oscar

Mike Null
02-01-2011, 6:02 PM
Under the edit menu there is a "find and replace" option. This will do what you want but it will take a little getting used to. Check the tutorial if need be.

Larry Bratton
02-01-2011, 6:04 PM
No, there is no text fitted to a path.
I don't think there is a way to resize a quantity of objects all at once. I am thinking your best bet is to resize it, put your text in and then use Ctrl D to duplicate it. Very quick. If your spacing is even, each time you duplicate, just keep the duplicate selected, hit Ctrl D again and it will move that new duplicate to the prior spacing. Maybe some other Corel guru can help further. Good luck

Larry Bratton
02-01-2011, 6:08 PM
Good one Mike..that will probably do it. I always thought of that being a text function but I see it works for selected objects.

Mike Mackenzie
02-01-2011, 6:09 PM
There was a macro written by Carl I forgot his last name but it was called resize selection that would do this perfectly. It may be posted here already. Do a search for it. If it is not posted I believe I have a copy somewhere.

Mike Null
02-02-2011, 5:50 AM
Carl Sewell posted some of his macros. That's where I would search.

Michael Wintermute
02-02-2011, 8:23 AM
Brie-Ann,
When I am creating repeated artwork on one page I always create a master off the page and either use the '"Lens" Magnify @ 1.0 and place these properly spaced on the page, Or if the artwok needs to be rotated (for better nesting) I use the "Clone" tool. Both can be changed later just by changing the original. The Clone lets you do more with the clones ... but a little less changes to the Master. The magnify lets you add and remove and/or any other changes (just keep it 'under' the lens), But you can not change orientation of the duplicates.
Mike

Brie -Anne Bryan
02-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Ok....I tried the find and replace...but can't find anything to increase the size. I will do a macros search next...... I've attached a file of the artwork

Thanks everyone!

Larry Bratton
02-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Brie-Anne
When posting Corel files, please save them to an earlier version. That allows more people to look at them. Many people still use earlier versions than X4. Save as Version 12 files before posting. I would like to look at this but I am still on X3 and cant open the file.

Brie -Anne Bryan
02-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Hi Larry.....sorry....I've posted a new version.

Thanks!

Larry Bratton
02-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Hummm..X3 still returns an error.

Brie -Anne Bryan
02-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Does this one work?

Mike Null
02-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Brie Anne

sorry for the bad lead on the find and replace thing. I thought I had made that work.

Carl Sewell, who writes macros, is a Friend of the Creek and can be contacted at this site. He sells his macros at very reasonable prices.

http://www.guntersvillelaser.com/

Brie -Anne Bryan
02-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Does this one work?

Larry Bratton
02-02-2011, 1:05 PM
Yes.
OK, I am not sure what you want to do exactly from this, but it is easy either way. Make ONE the way you want it (be sure and Group it all together). Then duplicate it using Cntl D or Step and Repeat. (Step and Repeat is under Edit or hit Cntl+Shift+D and specify how you want to distribute them. That's it, your done.
However, I see you have some variation in the text. You will have to do the same for each unique item.

Michael Wintermute
02-02-2011, 4:12 PM
Brie-Ann
Attached is a ver10 of your file converted to masters and clones.
changes to the master will also change all clones.
I may have lost the font and formating as my system does not have the same font as you used, however if you change it back to what it should be the clones will follow (Note: Do Not delete a master componant as it will delete the clones also)
Mike

Michael Wintermute
02-02-2011, 4:21 PM
OOPS!
Sorry, that I missed the fact that there were variations across the art.
When I get another minute (closer to 5min) I can fix tthe rest.
Mike

Brie -Anne Bryan
02-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Hi Micheal,

Thanks for all your help...but I'm still wondering about when all the text is different. Does that mean I would have to create a master for every different categorie?
Unfortunatly I had to change them all individually:).......customer needed them. Always a rush!
But I would still like to know for future reference.

Thanks!

Barb Macdonald
02-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Um, this may be the wrong answer, but if you know the percentage (and it's the same for all the pieces of course) that you are re-sizing to, you can select all, and then enter in the percentage that all need to be resized to.
back to work:)

Larry Bratton
02-03-2011, 5:01 PM
Barb.
This may be wrong too..but I don't think that works either for a multiple resize.

Michael Wintermute
02-03-2011, 8:19 PM
Brie -Anne,
Attached is a completly converted file, as I would have done it.
As with any software there are many ways to do a job, but for multipeice jobs this is my first choice.
To change the Properties(Size, Color, Font, Outline, etc.) of the clones select the Master.
To change the Transformation(Angle, Rotation, Skew, Position, etc.) select any/all Clone(s).
Group/UnGroup often causes undesirable result when Cloning.
To change Wording/Shape in midstream just stop using any/all part(s) and create another.
I hope this makes sence to everyone.

Mike

Note: When I start out I set the Duplicate X to the desired distance and Y to 0, then set the Nudge Offset to the desired Y distance. Move the 0,0 position to where my first peice is to be. ... Now when I create the first Clone I send it Position 0,0 and Duplicate it into place, when a row is filled, I right click the Master and select the Clones, then press (keypad)+ and nudge to the row placement. create the next Master and repeate.

Brie -Anne Bryan
02-04-2011, 2:44 PM
Thanks, Barb!
It's a little tricky trying to find the difference in size between 2 objects....(math was not my forte!)
but in the end, it did work!
Thanks for all your help:)

Bill Cunningham
02-05-2011, 1:54 PM
If you have trouble with percentages, the just put a couple of guidelines on the page separated to the new width, And then group them as Barb said, grab one of the corner sizing handles and pull it down to the size you need between the two guidelines.. Then save it as a 'new' file, you may want the old one again..

Joe De Medeiros
02-05-2011, 4:42 PM
there is a macro in this thread to resize circles

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?145782-Corel-Question

John Barton
02-05-2011, 10:12 PM
I have found that the fastest way to do this type of work is to set up the first one the way I want it and then simply adjust my duplicate distances to make the duplicates appear where they should be. So for a 2" circle for example the x value is set to 2" and the y value is set to 0. Then ctrl-d makes them all in a line. Then when I have the top line I change the value to x = 0 and the y value to -2" and then select the whole line. In the way you can set up a field of objects quickly - within minutes.

I have this exact problem often and for me this is the easiest and fastest way to change a job.