PDA

View Full Version : MLCS Collet Extension

Don Selke
01-14-2005, 9:39 PM
MCLS offers a collect extension for router tables, was wondering if any of you have purchased and used this device in your router table. I was curious about any vibration from extending the router bit.:confused:

Jim Becker
01-14-2005, 11:24 PM
The longer you make things, the more you amplify run-out, etc. Not recommended by me!!

scott spencer
01-15-2005, 7:23 AM
I bought one a few months ago and have used it a few times. There is a bit of added vibration....very high frequency, but noticeable. I can't tell you what it'll do over the long haul, but I suspect Jim is right. (he usually is!)

Don Selke
01-15-2005, 7:29 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, I had the same feeling. Any time you extend a shaft you are amplifying any run-out or vibration. I will take a pass.

Peter Liebert
01-15-2005, 8:45 PM
I was just at Penn State this past week and was considering the extender. Despite the attractive price, the bit is raised too high, IMO. I was as concerned with bearing wear on the router as much as runout. I was told there are coming out with a model with a slightly deeper recessed shaft to accomodate more of the original bit's shaft. I was also disappointed to see that not only didn't it come with the required wrenches, but it required two different sizes.

I'm going with the Eliminator RC Quick Chuck: lower profile (since it replaces the chuck, instead of inserting into it), single hex adjust, and it now comes in versions for DeWalt, Fein, Bosch, as well as the original, PC.

Jim Becker
01-15-2005, 8:48 PM
Pete, I've been considering the "new" Eliminator, too...nice product. Folks generally spoke well of the original and the new, smaller version should be great!