PDA

View Full Version : Something different

Linda Persoon
02-01-2011, 3:43 PM
Here is something I just finished for my granddaughter's (Kyra Rose) 17th birthday. It is quite different, but I want to start experimenting with different embellishments.

The rose is bloodwood. The inner pieces are glued to a disk about 3" x 1/4", then the disk is glued into the bottom of the locust burl. From there the outer pieces of the rose are shaped on the bottom to set on the surface of the burl.

I'm not sure what it is: a shallow bowl or dish or a wall hanging. All C&C welcome.

Roger Chandler
02-01-2011, 4:02 PM
That is very unique! Great rose embellishment......nice clean lines on it and good burl background. Should be a lovely piece when finished.

Jim Burr
02-01-2011, 4:03 PM
Looks good so far...maybe a platter?

bob svoboda
02-01-2011, 4:04 PM
Very different. Especially nice job on the rose.

Steve Schlumpf
02-01-2011, 4:04 PM
Wow - very nice! Your granddaughter is going to love it!

Richard Madden
02-01-2011, 4:24 PM
I don't know where you got the idea for this, but I think it's neat...and unique! I'm bettin Kyra Rose is gonna love it. Thanks for sharing.

John Keeton
02-01-2011, 4:24 PM
Now, that is creative!! Very nice and well done.

Steve Vaughan
02-01-2011, 4:28 PM
Well there you go! Back to that age old question of craft or art? Really cool and I'm liking it! Love the creativity!

Michael James
02-01-2011, 4:52 PM
Unique and definitely different! Nice job on carving the rose.

Dennis Ford
02-01-2011, 7:14 PM
I like it a lot, this goes on the art side of "craft vs art" IMO.

Harry Robinette
02-01-2011, 7:50 PM
Looks great ,excellent use of wood and your brain.Really pretty and great job.
Harry

Duff Bement
02-02-2011, 12:38 AM
I think you should call it the "ROSE BOWL" :D:D:D

Roland Martin
02-02-2011, 7:30 AM
Very well done, Linda. Nicely executed carving of the rose and very creative. Your grandaughter will treasure this forever!

dan carter
02-02-2011, 9:32 AM
Very nice. Am sure she will really like it.

Christopher K. Hartley
02-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Linda this is unusual and really neat. This is timely for me as I'm planning the process of carving some leaves for a vessel I have in mind. Could you share a little of the approach you used on the rose? I have not done any carving before but am determined to start this project.:)

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Really a nice piece. Love the rose. She is going to love it.

Dan Forman
02-02-2011, 3:11 PM
Don't know what to call it either, other than beautiful. Well done.

Dan

Linda Persoon
02-02-2011, 7:09 PM
Christopher, the process I used for the “intasia” rose began with a drawing. I decided how I wanted the grain of the bloodwood oriented for each piece of the rose and drew arrows on each piece of the drawing in the direction of the grain before making several copies.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/attach/jpg.gif downsized_0127111350.jpg (17.6 KB)
I used my bandsaw to resaw the bloodwood to about 3/8" thick. After cutting the drawing into individual pieces, I used a glue stick to paste each individual piece of paper matching the intended grain orientation. Then cut out each piece using a scroll saw. I shaped the top of each piece by sanding. Then glued the center pieces to a 3/16” disk.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/attach/jpg.gif downsized_0130112013.jpg (21.6 KB)

First I tried using double stick tape to attach them to the disk, but in the end I went with cutting a disk of bloodwood and gluing the smaller, inner pieces to it.
After shaping the previously rough turned bowl, I turned a recess the same size and depth as the bloodwood disk.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/attach/jpg.gif downsized_0130111533.jpg (35.1 KB)

After that I just shaped the bottom of the outer petals to match the curve of the bowl and glued them in place.
My intention was to carve veins in each petal with a small v-tool, but forgot. So actually I didn’t carve anything. The nice thing about this approach – if you are not happy with part of it, you can just make another piece. It’s in the mail now. Should be there by her birthday on Friday.

Linda Persoon
02-02-2011, 7:13 PM
Looks like I still don't have the formatting right for inserting pictures. Hope you can decipher.

Christopher K. Hartley
02-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Christopher, the process I used for the “intasia” rose began with a drawing. I decided how I wanted the grain of the bloodwood oriented for each piece of the rose and drew arrows on each piece of the drawing in the direction of the grain before making several copies.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/attach/jpg.gif downsized_0127111350.jpg (17.6 KB)
I used my bandsaw to resaw the bloodwood to about 3/8" thick. After cutting the drawing into individual pieces, I used a glue stick to paste each individual piece of paper matching the intended grain orientation. Then cut out each piece using a scroll saw. I shaped the top of each piece by sanding. Then glued the center pieces to a 3/16” disk.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/attach/jpg.gif downsized_0130112013.jpg (21.6 KB)

First I tried using double stick tape to attach them to the disk, but in the end I went with cutting a disk of bloodwood and gluing the smaller, inner pieces to it.
After shaping the previously rough turned bowl, I turned a recess the same size and depth as the bloodwood disk.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/attach/jpg.gif downsized_0130111533.jpg (35.1 KB)

After that I just shaped the bottom of the outer petals to match the curve of the bowl and glued them in place.
My intention was to carve veins in each petal with a small v-tool, but forgot. So actually I didn’t carve anything. The nice thing about this approach – if you are not happy with part of it, you can just make another piece. It’s in the mail now. Should be there by her birthday on Friday.Thanks Linda, This is a great idea I haven't heard before. I'll save this process. I appreciate your time in responding.:)

Baxter Smith
02-03-2011, 10:37 AM
That will be a special keepsake for her! Well done!