PDA

View Full Version : Captured system progess

Doug Wolf
02-01-2011, 3:06 PM
Here is the progress I've made so far on the captured hollowing system I'm building. It uses a 1" bar attached to an old tablesaw fence to keep the bar from rotating. The capture part is made from a couple of wall shelf supports mounted on a satellite dish base.
The capture support works real well, but I'm in the process of making a new boring bar shaped like a "D" of of 1" bar to replace the tablesaw fence. It works on small hollow forms but I think I need a wider "D" to keep it from rotating on a "big catch". I know several Creekers are in the process of thinking and/or building a system so I wanted to share my progress so far. I have searched all of the posts on the "Creek" and elsewhere and want to thank all of you who have gone before me with your systems.

Steve Schlumpf
02-01-2011, 3:27 PM
Doug - your captured system looks like it should pretty good! Have fun using it!

Roger Chandler
02-01-2011, 4:07 PM
Quite a beefy system for sure! The mass should definitely soak up vibrations pretty well. I just wonder if it is a bit clumsy to use? That is not a put down of your work, but an "I wonder if that works well" kind of question. Your design has shown a way that an a person with average tools could easily put one together with the right pieces of material.

Thanks for sharing your work here, and I hope you will show some more of it in pics [like a "work in progress"] kind of thing. Very interesting, Doug!

Richard Madden
02-01-2011, 4:16 PM
Doug,
I think what you have done there is pretty dadgum ingenious! Using the shelf supports, and fence and satellite dish base are all great ideas. I like that.

Harry Robinette
02-01-2011, 8:17 PM
I'm 100% with Richard very ingenious,That's ingenuity with junk and I love it.
Harry

David DeCristoforo
02-01-2011, 9:47 PM
I can see why you would need a "honkin' big" captured rig to hollow out something like that "honkin' big" chunk of wood you got mounted on that lathe!!

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/rofl.gif

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2011, 10:20 PM
That is one hefty looking hollowing rig. Looks like it will do the job pretty well.