PDA

View Full Version : Plane ID help?

James K Peterson
02-01-2011, 2:00 PM
Anyone have an idea of what Make of planes these are?

I was guessing a Stanley #5 in front and the back is #7 ??

David Weaver
02-01-2011, 2:16 PM
I would say stanley in the front and in the back, one of the import cheapies - probably indian. Note the screw in the lever cap. Lovely to have in an infill. Not so lovely in a bench plane.

I would avoid both of them. The stanley in the front is a common enough size you don't have to get one of that era. Who knows about the one in the back. If my guess is right, there is sometimes a lesson about there actually being tools that are too expensive to use even when they're free.

Zach England
02-02-2011, 9:02 AM
Why is the screw in the lever cap bad? Veritas uses similar screws in their bevel-down bench planes and I really like them.

Prashun Patel
02-02-2011, 9:30 AM
I'm gonna say the front one is a Stanley Bailey #4. It looks the same as the one I had. I'm probably biased bkz that's the same color as mine was.

The back one looks like a #6. I actually like the cap screw vs the lever. On my Veritas planes, it just allows more control, and prevents me from overtightening so I can't adjust depth. That plane looks pretty good to me (from 50,000 ft)...

David Weaver
02-02-2011, 9:42 AM
Veritas is the exception.

Generally, bench planes with screws in the caps are a sign of cost cutting, to avoid making the eccentric and spring on the end of the lever cap.

It isn't necessarily (with the plane) what it says specifically about the screw and the lever cap and functionality, but more what it says about the plane in general and what its origin probably is. I have no idea who makes that one, but it's sort of a mish-mash of record design (not a record plane, though, just a copy of some of the design elements) and imported parts.

took me a second to find something similar, but hartville tool has that plane listed for $69 new.

Just serving up a warning.

I had a stanley of that era before when I first started wwing. I'm sure a couple turned out OK. I gave the one I had to a guy (i never used it and had gotten it for $10) who was a beginner and wanted a free plane. It turned out that the frog was not close to square on it, and would not seat square without modification. That kind of thing is a total waste of time on a plane that is worth $20 if it is performing correctly, and in the case of that guy, it cost him an afternoon of frustration.

john brenton
02-02-2011, 9:44 AM
Hey James!! How've you been man? I still have barely made a dent in all that hardwood.

I followed your advice and came to the creek....thanks a lot, now I'm on here all freakin day. Just what I needed, another addictive forum!

Do you already have the planes, or are you looking to buy them?

Bill Rittner
02-02-2011, 5:26 PM
The maroon plane in front is definitely a Stanley #5 from the 1960's or '70's. The one in back is a #7 size and it is a modern import. Maybe a Groz?