PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help what laser to purchase? your opinion is much appreciated

Kevin Dyer
02-01-2011, 1:19 PM
Looking to get into engraving and purchase my first laser engraver. Have narrowed my choices down to a new Epilog Helix 40 or very slighlty used Vytek special fx3624. I like the known support of Epilog and am familiar with the corel x5 software. I can save about $7000 by buying the Vytek but not sure of the software it uses or the support by Vytek. I have read conflicting reports. Any opinions,pros,cons on these engravers would be much appreciated. :confused:

Dan Hintz
02-01-2011, 2:18 PM
I know very little about the Vytek, but if I had to purchase again (and I may), my order (in decreasing interest) would be:
Trotec (love the speed)
ULS (nice job software)
Epilog (still a solid machine/company)
Others...

George Beck
02-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I researched this for over a year before purchase and I agree with Dan. I purchased a Universal Versa 460 with rotary attachment. I think trotec makes the best laser and the fastest. Universal offered a better deal and the service is close and I liked the software and the ease of repair. Epilog is solid and a little cheaper.

Mike Null
02-03-2011, 10:55 AM
I agree with the previous posts but Vytek may offer a size that is critical for your needs. If that size isn't important then you need to evaluate the features and advantages of each machine.
Take a good look at the software and the interfaces on all, particularly Vytek, as it isn't as well known as the others.

I do engraving, mostly commercial and industrial. It is rare when I come across a job that I couldn't handle with a 12x24 machine.