PDA

View Full Version : Sanding the inside bottom of a deep vessel ??

Steve Harder
02-01-2011, 12:37 PM
I've got some roughed vases that are ready for final turning.

I'd like to do a good job on the deep insides, possibly not as good as I like for the outsides, but I don't want tool marks or tearout if I can avoid it. I'll do as good a job as I can with tools but will always need some abrasives to smooth things out.

Long handled inertia sanders will help me get the sides of the inside.

But what do folks use for the hard-to-sand bottom?

I've seen the DIY foam ball covered in velcro with flower petal shaped sand paper but haven't built one.

I've wondered how well a small goblet buff with a sheet of paper wrapped over it and secured with tape on shaft.

I'll appreciate any ideas or comments.

Steve Schlumpf
02-01-2011, 3:46 PM
Steve - you didn't say how deep the turning is that you are trying to sand. For the size vases that I turn, I picked up one of these to use with my sanding disks. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Abrasives___Sanding_Accessories___Sanding_Pad_Exte nsion___sanding_pad_extension?Args=

Cathy Schaewe
02-01-2011, 5:42 PM
I have one of those as well. Seems to do the job.

Harry Robinette
02-01-2011, 7:55 PM
I also have a couple of the same,6 9 12 inch but can,t think of were I got them.
Harry

Jeff Nicol
02-01-2011, 9:08 PM
Steve, Depending on the size of the opening in the vase I have an old handle from a toilet plunger that is made out of plastic that I cut a slot in the end. In the slot I wrap some sandpaper with enough out past the end to fold over to sand the bottom. It is about 3/4" dia and flexible so it works nice, but a piece of dowel will do the same thing. Cheap and effective!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2011, 10:36 PM
I built one of these except I built it with a longer reach handle and it works really well. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Abrasives___Sanders___Reach_Sanding_Ball___reach_s anding_ball?Args=

John Beaver
02-01-2011, 11:34 PM
I've had good luck with a 2" sanding pad on a regular drill (not an angle drill). My Makita cordless has a long snout and reaches down pretty far. If that's not enough, you can add the extension.
The bottom of a vase is not spinning very fast, so countering the rotation of the lathe with the drill helps.

Norm Zax
02-02-2011, 4:06 AM
I use a half inch wide stick of ipea (tough wood!) sliced at the end to accept a few loops of sanding paper. Works reasonably. I go from 60 to 180 and then give up, far before percetion. Then use oil to protect the wood inside (but actually to hide scratches quite effectively) or even better - matt black paint.

JerHall
02-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Irwin Speed Bore 6" $7 and 12" $8 are both handy sizes and the price is right. Available from Ace Hardware HERE (http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1287045&clickid=prod_cs)and you can order and pick up at nearby store no shipping cost. You can use your hand as a steady rest, or install a 1" dowel section around the shaft with a bit of wax on the shaft maybe. My hand works fine for me. Also can mount in chuck on lathe or drill press and free up a hand and maybe improve control. make your own pads from 3M RolLoc discs with foam and hook tape on them, or get very nice durable pads from Vince's woodenwonders.

Steve Harder
02-07-2011, 9:52 PM
My takeaway from the replies on this and other forums:
if you are going to leave marks in the bottom of the vessel then they should look like you meant for them to be there.

And try a foam ball for sanding - so I took a 3/8 8" carriage bolt, drilled opposing holes in a tennis ball, squeezed it between the head of the bolt and a washer nut, hot melt glued hook material all over the tennis ball, cut flower petal sanding paper. And it does work nicely on the bottom of a vessel large enuf to receive it.

Thomas Canfield
02-08-2011, 11:02 PM
I have a 12" drill bit extension for 1/4" shaft that works pretty well. I have section of 1/2" PVC pipe over the shaft to prevent damage to opening and also to hold on to give better control. I haven't got around to making the rubber ball on end of rod for self-stick sandpaper, but that works well for some.

Dick Wilson
02-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Steve. I took a 2" dowel about 2' long, drilled a hole in one end for a wooden spoon handle, cut off most of spoon handle and glued it in hole. I epoxyed velcor to bottom of spoon and use hook and loop sandpaper. With the long handle I can get pretty aggressive with 80 grit. There I have admitted that there are times when I have to use my 80 grit tool. :-((((