PDA

View Full Version : PSI Mandrel saver package for pens

John Pratt
02-01-2011, 11:26 AM
I picked up one of these recently and I am having difficulty getting enoungh pressure on the bushings to keep the blanks from spinning while turning. The issue is how far the madrel goes in the headstock. If I apply enough pressure to keep the blanks from turning I get a strange noise like there is pressure on the bearing. if I back off enough to quell the noise, the blanks spin. I normally use the Woodcraft pro pen mandrel without issue. I am turning on a Jet 1642 #2MT.Is there anyone else out there with this new mandrel from PSI with similar problems or solutions?

Wayne Hendrix
02-01-2011, 11:29 AM
There have been issues with the bearings in them. Check penturners.org for more info and contact PSI, they are working to replace the defective ones.

John Pratt
02-01-2011, 11:34 AM
What bearings? I am not having the issue with the Jet, it is just the mandrel (no bearings). Maybe I am missing something here.

Wayne Hendrix
02-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Maybe I am misunderstanding your problem. The mandrel saver is a live center with a whole in it that allows the mandrel to pass through it. The mandrel should be inserted into the headstock and the mandrel saver into the tailstock. The mandrel saver is then tightened against the bushings. The mandrel saver rotates during operation. The issue with the mandrel savers has been that the bearings in them are bad and when tightened down they have made what is usually described as a grinding or squealing noise during operation.

John Pratt
02-01-2011, 6:44 PM
I see now what you are saying. I was thinking the mandrel end. The problem I am having is noise coming from headstock end when I apply enough pressure to the mandrel saver to keep the blanks from spinning. When I loosen the mandrel saver enough to get rid of the noise, the blanks spin when touched by the gouge.

James Combs
02-01-2011, 8:21 PM
I see now what you are saying. I was thinking the mandrel end. The problem I am having is noise coming from headstock end when I apply enough pressure to the mandrel saver to keep the blanks from spinning. When I loosen the mandrel saver enough to get rid of the noise, the blanks spin when touched by the gouge.

Sounds to me like the problem may be the one that Wayne described but the sound may be migrating from the mandrel saver to the headstock. Maybe it only sounds like it is coming from the headstock.

Jim Slovik
02-01-2011, 9:29 PM
John,
I have the same problem when I use mandrel on my Jet 1220 but not when I use it on my PM3520. I think when we extend the tailstock to tighten the blanks, we put excessive pressure on the headstock bearing. When I hear that noise, I back off a hair until it stops. At that point the blanks seem to be tight enough.
With the other mandrels, you use the knurling knob to tighten the blanks between the knob and the end that goes in/on the headstock. It gets tightened independent of the lathe.
Jim