PDA

View Full Version : Penn State Dust Collection

John Bailey
01-14-2005, 7:56 PM
I've noticed that the decible rating on the Penn State dust collection system is only 73 and 75. That's pretty quiet. Has anyone had experience with one of their systems. That's about half the loudness of the others. Also, does suck!!

John

Thomas Glenn
01-14-2005, 10:28 PM
Just receaved my new penn state DC2000 last monday .Got the electric and remote all set up is a lot less nois than my old HF one .Dont have the new ducts run yet so dont

know how well it is goin to work.
Tom Glenn

Mike Stanton
01-14-2005, 10:32 PM
I have the penstate 1100 1 1/2 hp it is noisey but I built a small shed and moved my 60 gallons compressor and dust collector out there. It is just out side of shop. Mike :D

John Bailey
01-15-2005, 5:17 AM
Anybody have the PennState cyclone models? They are the one that are supposed to be quiet.

John

Peter Stahl
01-15-2005, 8:17 PM
John,

Don't have one but you also might want to check out the new Grizzly Cyclones.

Pete

John Bailey
01-15-2005, 9:46 PM
Peter,

I've looked at the new Grizzly cyclones. I'm interested in the decible level, but I can't find that information on their web-site. However, they look very interesting, especially their beefiness.

John

Todd Griffin
01-15-2005, 10:51 PM
John,
Try posting on Woodnet. The President of Grizzly, "PappaGrizzly", posts frequently and is willing to answer question(s) about their products.

Todd

Brad Olson
01-15-2005, 11:15 PM
I am pretty sure the Griz cyclones have decibel ratings near 80 or so. It suprises me that they can get the PSI down to 73-5 range, but do realize that the PSI cyclone isn't as good as its competitors. Wood magazine recently reviewed them, so I'd use that as a guide to selecting a cyclone. With any DC, if you are that concerned about getting the noise down your best bet is to put it in a closed to dampen some of the noise.

John Bailey
01-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Brad,

Actually, 80 isn't too bad either. I notice the Penn State is made with 22 gage metal while the Grizzly is made with 16. Seems like the Griz would hold up better.

John

Ted Shrader
01-16-2005, 9:40 AM
John -

Have you had the chance to actually see one? I understand they will be coming out early this spring. A least thats what the website says. No prices yet either.

If you have had a chance to touch them, what was your impression? I am leaning towards an Oneida, but will wait until the Grizzly is available to make my decision.

Regards,
Ted

Mark Duksta
01-16-2005, 11:01 AM
The two horse Grizzly cyclone will sell for $745. Papagrizzly says it'll be available this February. I'm getting a cyclone this spring. It'll be an Oneida or the Grizzly. I'm holding off until the fan curves for the Grizzly are available.

Since Grizzly is going head to head with Oneida, I'm guessing (hoping) the numbers will be comparable to the Oneida. At that price I could afford to buy all the duct work and a new jointer for the same money.

Mark D.