PDA

View Full Version : 12" miter saw blade recommendations

Callan Campbell
02-01-2011, 9:29 AM
I'm finally ready to upgrade my 12" Milwaukee SCMS with a better blade. What are everyone's favorites?

scott spencer
02-01-2011, 9:43 AM
Callan - I don't use 12" blades, so don't have a hands on recommendation, but will suggest getting a blade with a low to negative hook angle for a sliding CMS ...a negative hook angle isn't essential, but nothing much over +5° is recommended.

Also, even though I've been a longtime proponent of 10" thin kerf blades for table saws, crosscuts require less power than ripping so there's less need for a TK on a SCMS, but more importantly a 12" blade has a span that's 20° larger than a 10" blade and will be inherently more prone to deflection. I'd stick with full kerf for a 12" crosscut blade.

Some of the better 10" blades I've used are from Ridge Carbide, Infinity, Forrest, Freud Industrial or Premier, CMT Orange, Tenyru Gold Medal, Amana, DeWalt series 60, and Leitz...I'm sure all have a decent 12" choice.

Craig D Peltier
02-01-2011, 10:57 AM
My favorite is the Matsushita 12" 80 tooth Heavy Duty Workhorse http://matsushitaamerica.com.p4.hostingprod.com/hd.htm It minimalizes deflection being 8th inch. Has no tearout on plys and cuts through hardwoods with ease.
I have the 80 tooth dewalts and freuds in 12" and there not good for cutting hardwood due to how much stress you have to put on motor and the deflection anything over 3/4 inch hardwood is obvious when putting a square to it.

Neil Bosdet
02-01-2011, 11:32 AM
I am a contractor custom home builder and have 2 12" scms. I have tried many blades but the best by a long margin for me is the Forrest Chopmaster 80 tooth. They are in a league on their own.

Neil Brooks
02-01-2011, 11:40 AM
As always ... when the subject turns to blades ... I give the nod to Scott Spencer.

Last time I saw (pun ?) a review, Ridge Carbide, and the Forrest Chopmaster took first and second place, respectively.

As I evaluate my options for my RAS, the Ridge and Forrest offerings are MY top -- well ... only -- options to consider :)

Callan Campbell
02-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the info, I was leaning towards the Chopmaster due to all the good reviews I've read. I also thought about NOT getting a Thin Kerf for all the same reasons that were posted. Looks like great minds think alike... I'll look into the Matsushita as well, new name for me to learn about. Thanks again

lowell holmes
02-01-2011, 1:02 PM
There's one for sale in the classified section now. It is a Forrest.

Dave Houseal
02-01-2011, 1:04 PM
I have the Ridge Carbide on my 12" slider and on my table saw. I absolutely love both blades.

Van Huskey
02-01-2011, 1:35 PM
I have a Forrest Chopmaster Signature Line on my Milwaukee now, the best I have used to date. Though I have also had great luck with the Freud Industrial CSMS blade as well as the Tenryu (can't remember its name).

Steve Griffin
02-01-2011, 1:45 PM
Thanks for all the info, I was leaning towards the Chopmaster due to all the good reviews I've read. I also thought about NOT getting a Thin Kerf for all the same reasons that were posted. Looks like great minds think alike... I'll look into the Matsushita as well, new name for me to learn about. Thanks again

Actually the best thing you could get to go with your Chopmaster is a general purpose, thin kerf blade for rough cutting. It's use will greatly increase the time between expensive sharpenings for the nice blade, it cuts faster and makes less dust. And who cares about deflection when you are rough cutting to plus 1 inch.

-Steve

Brad Gobble
02-01-2011, 1:56 PM
My favorite is the Matsushita 12" 80 tooth Heavy Duty Workhorse http://matsushitaamerica.com.p4.hostingprod.com/hd.htm It minimalizes deflection being 8th inch. Has no tearout on plys and cuts through hardwoods with ease.
I have the 80 tooth dewalts and freuds in 12" and there not good for cutting hardwood due to how much stress you have to put on motor and the deflection anything over 3/4 inch hardwood is obvious when putting a square to it.

Totally agree with Craig ... Matsushita is the only brand I buy today ... stick with their Workhorse line.

Callan Campbell
02-02-2011, 9:38 PM
Steve, I am still using the stock blade that the Milwaukee came with, so, that will be my 'rough' blade once I buy a better one. But,thanks for the good idea, it's always nice to have a fairly disposable blade for that material you don't want to touch with your better steel/carbide.