PDA

View Full Version : Finally, woodworking

Bruce Campbell
02-01-2011, 1:52 AM
I should start this out with a big thank you to the many posters here, especially the old hats at this game who patiently keep posting the same information over and over again (and I keep reading over and over again, trying to soak it up). For me it's finally started to soak in.

Last weekend I got frustrated by my desk which has run out of room to hold more mail plus my computer and stuff and decided I'd build a simple hutch, two legs, a top, maybe some dividers for mail. I figured if I had to I'd just nail the blood thing together, just to get it done, necessity over the purity of good woodworking.

It was a good decision, I did end up screwing the top into the legs. I tried to use a fancy new Bosch jigsaw. I learned more about hand woodworking than I have in years of reading and collecting tools not feeling adequate enough to use.

The hutch/shelf/whatever looks horrible but I'm not quite done with it and it will be far too embarassing ot post pics of so yeah, let's not go there. However, I screwed up every cut I made with teh jigsaw. Out of frustration, I grabbed my old stanley 4 1/2 to help clean it up. It worked. I'd been practicing sharpening and trying to plane boards, with little or no luck. For some reason it just worked this time.

I had to use a nasty piece of plywood for the top, I decided to try a simple face frame. That didn't work so I thought what the heck, maybe if I rabbeted it on there instead of just trying to stick it on... so I grabbed a stanley 190 I got as part of a birthday gift over year ago (came as part of whole bunch of planes my mother bought from a guy who was moving). I'd never figured out how to adjust it right much less use it, but it just happened, like I had done it 100 times before. It was great.

Best discovery was I improvised a shooting board out of my nasty workbench (was there when I bought the house, more of a fix-it bench, not meant for anything other than a tall table to work on things, bolts sticking out of it and all) and a vague attempt at a bench hook I made months ago. It worked, suddenly the concept of getting something square made sense not just in a I read it kind of way, it was a real thing in my hands. Very cool.

I do have a question on how the heck are you supposed to use the plane you're shooting with. I ended up with a 1.5 inch blister on the palm of my right hand and a smaller one on my thumb. Yeah, I'm an IT geek but wow, I must be doing something wrong there.

So, yeah mainly a thank you for all the vets. To the people who I know must exist like me who keep reading and thinking about doing it; Grab some scrap wood or cheap pine from the BORG and just do it. It makes a lot more sense when you try it, granted it probably helps if you NEED to build something as opposed to just goofing around.

For now I will just consider the shelving unit thing a functional prototype and look forward to someday getting some real wood. I have a feeling it works a lot different than the cheap scraps I had lying around.

Johnny Kleso
02-01-2011, 2:25 AM
Nothing better than t learn what you need to know by trying to build something..
Just keep on keeping on..

Jim Koepke
02-01-2011, 2:52 AM
Well Bruce,

Welcome to the slope.

Unless you are doing something wrong when shooting you will soon have calluses instead of blisters.

Depending on the plane being used without an extra handle, my palm area is on the left side of the plane with my fingers extending toward the knob. The object is to push the plane into the work as you slide it along. Do not push real hard as you do not want the plane to tilt from the ramp. Be very careful to find a spot where you can hold/guide the plane and keep your thumb away from the blade.

Derek Cohen has a web site that might help you:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/index.html

There are a few links to information about shooting boards and use.

Check out the "hot dog" he made for one of his planes. It can be adapted to other planes with a little work. You don't even have to have a lathe to make one.

Try a few more projects just to get a feel for using the tools. You will also be able to see where you need to correct your "style" to get better results.

A pair of saw benches is an easy and useful project. I kind of like making saw benches and saw horses.

If you search > sawhorse plans < you will find something to your liking.

Here is a post on a saw table I built:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?146777-Saw-Table-Project

All the angles on this one are set to 15°. I recently built one that is not as long as this one. The new one has the angles set to 10°. It also has the edges of the sides angled and the legs are flush. Just a different way to build the same thing.

For sawing, it is always a good idea to have a pair. That way when cutting wood one can be the work horse and the other the out feed support.

They are also handy in the shop to have a place to sit down.

I like to use 2X8 for the tops. If a light horse is wanted, then a 2X6 top and 1X4 legs works well. I use screws on horses that will be outside a lot. If they are mostly for inside, then dowels are used.

jtk