PDA

View Full Version : Mini Max SC3 W tablesaw vs lagunaTSS vs Rojek PK300 V

des diesel
01-14-2005, 5:54 PM
The short version. I started ou looking at tha Rojek, had some questions, researched Laguna TSS , raised more questions, and now am looking at the Mini Max SC3 W. Each time I investigate a different brand there is an increase in price. The TSS was about $500 mor than the Rojek, and the Minimax is another $500 more. This is significant ($5000 + $500 S & H )

Tom LaRussa
01-14-2005, 6:20 PM
The short version. I started ou looking at tha Rojek, had some questions, researched Laguna TSS , raised more questions, and now am looking at the Mini Max SC3 W. Each time I investigate a different brand there is an increase in price. The TSS was about $500 mor than the Rojek, and the Minimax is another $500 more. This is significant ($5000 + $500 S & H )
Hi Des,

Welcome to the 'Creek, where the water is always nice and clean. :D

I'm afraid I can't give you much advice on which of the above units to purchase. But if you decide to buy all three, keep the one you like best and toss the rest, I'll be happy to take one of the cast-offs. ;)

Tom

Michael Perata
01-14-2005, 6:40 PM
Des

I have a MiniMax SC300 Smart. I looked at the Laguna, Rojek, Felder and for the money, the quality and usability of the MiniMax made it a very simple decision.

Greg Mann
01-14-2005, 7:00 PM
This is what we all do around here. You just seem to have added another zero to the numbers.:D

Richard McComas
01-14-2005, 7:11 PM
The short version. I started ou looking at tha Rojek, had some questions, researched Laguna TSS , raised more questions, and now am looking at the Mini Max SC3 W. Each time I investigate a different brand there is an increase in price. The TASS was about $500 MO than the Rojek, and the Minimax is another $500 more. This is significant ($5000 + $500 S & H )
In my humble opinion of the three saws you mention the MiniMax is the only one to consider. That opinion is base on the following”

1 The reputation of the companies selling the product.

2 The reputation of the quality of the machine itself.

3 Price, I am one who believes you get what you pay for, precision cost money. ( I also understand budgets limits)

These Euro type sliding panel saws have more moving part, they need to be easy to adjust and they need to hold those setting for long periods of time.

You will hate using your new saw if have to you constantly make adjustments. If you can’t gain trust in the saw to hold its setting you will always be doubting the accuracy of the saw and you’ll spend a great deal of time checking and re-checking your cuts.

Good sliding panel saws are not inexpensive, good ones are a joy to use and has some good advantages over the America type saw but IMHO you’re better off with good American saw that a inexpensive sliding panel saw.

I went with Felder and have no regrets.

Jim Becker
01-14-2005, 7:36 PM
I think that Richard speaks with wisdom. The SC3, SC4, S315 WS and ST3 are on my "short list" for a future saw upgrade based on my excellent experience with Mini Max to-date as well as that of many others. MM strikes a nice balance between cost, features and quality, with the first two smack in the middle of the pack and the latter exemplary.

Rob Russell
01-14-2005, 9:03 PM
Des,

Buying a sliding tablesaw means making decisions beyond "how many HP?" and "what rip capacity?". As you get into larger sliders, you need to ensure you get a saw that has the frame, slider and (possibly outrigger) support to guarantee your workpiece remains stable as it passes the blade. I would suggest that you add Felder and Hammer to the list of brands you investigate. Felder is probably out of your price range; Hammer is Felder's entry level brand.

I would suggest that you focus on the Hammer, MiniMax and Felder saws to get an idea of what well-engineered units are like. I also agree with Rich's comment about taking a top quality American-style saw over an low quality slider. The problem is that there is more to manufacturing a sliding table saw than just bolting on a sliding table element and you want a machine that's been designed from scratch as a slider. An automotive analogy would be buying a convertible that was designed as a ragtop rather than one that started life as a coupe and had the top sliced off with a little chassis bracing added.

Another important aspect of these saws are the owners groups. There are both a Felder Owners Group and MiniMax Owners Group on Yahoo, I believe also a Laguna owners group there too. Join those groups, read through the posts and use some of what you read there in your decision. Part of what you'll learn is that using a slider means changing the way you think about a table saw. The owners groups are an extremely important part of the machinery purchase.

I personally went with Felder machinery, but that was partly based on the fact that the Felder can break down to a narrower piece than the MM and was the only "good" stuff I could fit into my basement.

Whatever machinery you decide to go with - take your time, do your research and make an informed decision the first time.

Rob

mike lucas
01-14-2005, 9:52 PM
Rob;

Isn't the Hammer brand a cheapened down Felder? I was of the understanding that Felder sales the Hammer brand to those that could not afford the Felder. That is what I was told when a Felder rep called me. They first sent me Felder information. When I informed him that the prices were out of reach for me, he then asked if I'd like information on another line of machinery that they carry. I accepted, and received the Hammer literature.

They are percistent though. I received 5 calls from them before I got rid of them, by saying I purchased a Mini-Max.;)

Gary Sutherland
01-14-2005, 11:08 PM
I have a Hammer machine.

Hammer was an independent manufacturer until Felder bought them. Hammer machinery was already a less expensive brand than Felder, and Felder sells them as such.

Other than the SCREWBALL colors they paint them, I think they are very good machines, and if you don't want to/can't pay the Felder price they are a great choice. At least you know you have Felder (excellent company) standing behind them. In fact the last time I called Hammer with a question it was the Felder office that called me back.

Best of luck with your quest!! Let us see what you get when you get it.

gary

Paul B. Cresti
01-15-2005, 1:27 AM
I will whole heartily agree with Richard, Jim & Rob. You get what you pay for. I am a multi MM owner and every machine I have has done very well for me. Laguna (I believe made in Bulgaria) saws and the Rojek (Czek Republic) are just not of the same class as the MM or Felder machines. If you have the funding or can stretch a bit, it will pay in the long run. I went with MM because I did not need all the additional options that Felder offers and believe me they offer a LOT of options. MM machines are extremely well built, are fine tunable to the Nth degree and will hold those adjustments.

European style woodworking machines will change the way you work and I believe for the better. I made the switch and feel I am working safer and more acurately than ever before.

Charlie Plesums
01-15-2005, 8:54 AM
I have a MiniMax combo and love it.

Be sure to consider how your work will be supported... I don't believe the Laguna TSS sliding table has an outrigger to support the wider and longer sheet goods. If that is true, it will severely limit the value of the sliding table

Mike Wilkins
01-15-2005, 1:38 PM
Contact Laguna and request their video. The guy demonstrating the Laguna TSS is shown making cuts in wide plywood stock, showing the slider in action on both cutting and dado-related cuts.
The best way to decide on which machine to get is to get a first hand look
at one in the flesh, and do some cutting. Ask around on one of the web sites listed for anyone in your area that has one and arrange a visit.
good luck.