PDA

View Full Version : New Delta 46-460 or a used Jet JWL 1236 or PM90???

Steve LaFara
01-31-2011, 11:17 PM
Yea, I know that these are all in different leagues but I'm torn with which is the better deal. New Delta for $509 while on sale, used Jet JWL1236 for $400 or a PM90 that needs some TLC for $450? I guess I should qualify that this will be my first real wood lathe and it will go in a basement shop, so the PM90 may be a challenge to not only get home but in the basement as well. There are two Jets for sale locally and the PM is a couple of states away.

So which one is the better deal and why? I doubt that I would end up using the capacity of the PM and will be turning mostly smallish items but I'm in to old arn and it would be very cool sitting next to my '39 Unisaw. 12" should be plently of swing. The 36" bed of the Jet is atractive as I would probably want the bed extention if I got the Delta.

Doug W Swanson
01-31-2011, 11:34 PM
Steve,

I don't know much about the PM90 so I can't help you there. I do have a Jet 1236 and have used the Delta 46-460 so I can give you some advice on those.

While it may be nice to have the extra length of the Jet, the Delta will do everything that the Jet can do. Plus the Delta has true VS while the Jet has the Reeves drive which limits your speed choices. The Delta also has 1hp while the Jet has 3/4hp. There are times when I wish my Jet had more HP.

I bought my Jet used for $250. It was a slight upgrade over the 1014 I had. One of the reasons I bought it was it was a little bigger and my accessories (chucks, etc) would match right up. Since the Jet you are looking at is closer in price to the Delta, I would spring for the Delta. The Delta is a nice little lathe....

Don't worry about the bed extension right now because it's easy to add later.

JMO.

Salvatore Buscemi
01-31-2011, 11:38 PM
I'll vote for the Powermatic, but it would really depend on condition

Sal

dan carter
01-31-2011, 11:48 PM
The 46-460 is hands down the better choice. Going downstairs. +1 VS +1 R +1 1 hp +1 12 1/2" +1

Roger Chandler
02-01-2011, 7:48 AM
The stairs would be the reason for me to go with the Delta and not the PM 90. If that 90 is in pretty good shape, it would be a great one to have.......a workhorse of a lathe. the features of the Delta are better than the Jet.

Russell Eaton
02-01-2011, 7:58 AM
I just sold a 1236 for the same price. I bought the Delta for the same reasons mentioned above and do not regret it one bit. It is a smooth running lathe and the reverse is a dream come true for the sanding.

Kyle Iwamoto
02-01-2011, 11:25 AM
I'd go for the Delta over the Jet also. I've turned on one and it is a nice little lathe. BUT, if you spring for the PM, I woud imagine there's no upgrade needed in the future, which is a big +1 for me. I went through 2 lathes before getting my big lathe. Upgrade now or in the future. LOL

Bob Bergstrom
02-01-2011, 12:07 PM
The PM 90 are great machine, but once the vortex sucks you in that beautiful 39 Unisaw is going to be nothing but an place to stack things while you turn. Unless you are turning heavy spindles or bowls that need the stability of the PM 90, the newer technology of the Delta will be far above the others. It is the best lathe Delta has put out in quite a while

Steve LaFara
02-01-2011, 8:41 PM
Thanks for all the wisdom. I figured that the Delta was probably the best choice but had to ask. One of the primary reasons of wanting the PM90 was that I enjoy the process of restoring old machinery almost as much as using it. Down side is that it would take me a few months to get it done before I could use it.