PDA

View Full Version : Heat Pressing Stainless Mugs in Oven

Terry Swift
01-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Okay. Attempting my first try at subbing S.S. Travel Mugs in mug wraps in the oven. All directions I can find give specs and time for using a convection oven and I don't have one; so have to use the old handy dandy kitchen oven instead. Has anyone tried this using the S.S. Travel Mugs from Johnson Plastics? I'm just trying to get a head start tonight hopefully and not have to wait till tomorrow to call Johnson or Sawgrass.

Gary Hair
01-31-2011, 11:42 PM
It won't matter whether you use convection or conventional as long as you have a pretty accurate temp and let the oven heat up thoroughly. Do the Johnson mugs have removable plastic parts? Hope so, otherwise you'll end up with a gooey mess...

Gary

Terry Swift
02-03-2011, 4:44 AM
Gary,

Yes the Johnson Travel Mugs come apart and only the steel body is left to put in the oven / press. Good mugs too.

Job came out well for first try. 400 degrees and in the oven for 7 minutes. Usual press time is about 5-5 1/2 minutes, but Johnson said to leave for additional time using standard home oven. Looking to buy a stand-alone business use convection as they recommend those over using the conventional ovens.

:):):):):):):)

Gary Hair
02-03-2011, 3:29 PM
Terry,
I bought mine at Walmart, it was about $90 or so, on the recomendation of Kevin Lumberg (Johnson Plastics). I'm a bit surprised that they sublimated that quickly, I cook ceramic mugs for about 18 minutes in my convection oven. Maybe being stainless they sublimate a lot faster.

Gary

Martin Boekers
02-09-2011, 8:37 AM
Don't know if it creates a serious issue, but they say not to use an oven that you use for food also.
have a dedicated one.

Gary Hair
02-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Don't know if it creates a serious issue, but they say not to use an oven that you use for food also.
have a dedicated one.

That's what I was told also, but I wonder if it's because of harmful effects to the food or to the dye sub?

Ariel Echevarria
10-12-2012, 7:58 PM
Gary,

Im down in Klamath Falls,OR nice to see another Oregonian on here. I had just asked the same question before finding this thread. I wanted to try dye sub in my conventional oven as well. Have you gotten a convection oven since posting this last year? How did that turn out?

AL Ursich
10-13-2012, 7:38 PM
Good JOB !!!!

A little side track on Sublimation as moisture can be a problem... IF you find that when you do something like a Ceramic Mug or Plaque and get a White Blure....That is moisture... During the Transfer Process from a solid of the transfer ink and a vapor while being held to the item then back to a solid as ink inside the Poly coating... IF Moisture gets in the mix.. It causes problems...

SO I dry my transfers on top of my Heat Press as the paper can hold moisture from the air like on a rainy day... So be aware if you get any blurry images... Look for a Moisture probem...

When I do Clip Boards I dry them on my heat press for sometimes and hour... First time they are not dry, the moisture inside the Hardboard causes a Explosive Pop as a Bubble blows out in the board.

Good Luck when you get to that point... A 16 x 20 Swinger Press is the best in my opinion... One step at a time build your business...

AL

Gary Hair
10-19-2012, 6:02 PM
Gary,

Im down in Klamath Falls,OR nice to see another Oregonian on here. I had just asked the same question before finding this thread. I wanted to try dye sub in my conventional oven as well. Have you gotten a convection oven since posting this last year? How did that turn out?

Hi Ariel, good to see you here too! I actually bought the oven back in 2006, still use it, still works great! For $90 it was worth not wondering what the problem was - dye sub contaminating my food or my food contaminating dye sub...

Gary