PDA

View Full Version : Roubo bench build, neander style

Tim Null
01-31-2011, 9:01 PM
Started the new bench build. I am using it as a second bench for hand tool use. It will be a bit short, due to space limitations. Finished length will be 54-55", 20" wide.

I ripped some hard maple into strips and glued up a top 2 3/4" thick. Yes, I used my table saw. I can't fathom ripping strips of maple by hand and then joining them prior to glue up. I am getting into hand tools, but not full neander at this point. After letting it set with clamps for a week (too busy to get back into the shop), I spent yesterday and today flattening the top and bottom faces. Wow, what a workout! Used my LV 6, LA LV 5 and 4 1/2 smoother. But mostly the 6. It worked great, and was able to skip the trip to the gym with no regrets.

I made a couple of winding sticks from some left over beech (the legs and stretchers will be beech). With these I was able to get the top and bottom flat and true.

I then cut one end square. I measured the end and drew a line. Used my sash saw to kerf in the line. Then used my crosscut panel saw from Mike W to do the work. Cut about 5", rest, cut for 5", rest, etc. What a workout. But it came out pretty clean and square. It was a bit off, so off to my other bench I went. I put it on end and held it tin the face vise. Now using mu LV LA 5 and a small square, I trued up the end. Done!

I thought about using my table saw, but I could not figure out how. My fence will not go to the length of the top. Besides, both ends were uneven after glue up. I do not have a sled that would support the top, which weighs about 90 lbs. I could not have supported it on the front of my table anyway. So it was handsaws by default, on my maple, cherry and red oak saw bench. Worked great, except I finished the bench too smooth. The top slid a bit while cutting. I will need to rough up the surface a bit befor my next task.

So I sit here in front of the computer tired, but satisfied. I took another step in the hand tool journey.

Thanks for all the inspiration.

Andrew Gibson
01-31-2011, 11:03 PM
Sounds like a good start. Can't wait to see pics.

Bench builds are always fun to watch and read. Keep us updated.

Terry Beadle
02-01-2011, 9:56 AM
+1 to see some pics !

Sounds like a great bench.