PDA

View Full Version : Hoadley's "Understanding Wood"

Joe Angrisani
01-31-2011, 7:40 PM
Greetings Collective Wisdom....

I have a chance to pick up a copy of the first edition of Understanding Wood for a song. The second edition sells for about 3 times the price of the first. Does anybody know the major differences between the first 1980 edition and the second 2000 edition?

...Joe

George Bregar
01-31-2011, 8:33 PM
Google would have got you this " Now, Bruce Hoadley's comprehensive guide to wood technology has been revised and updated in this 20th-anniversary edition of a classic.

New information on composite materials, adhesives, and finishes brings this book into the 21st century, while more than 300 photographs bring important visual information to life. This edition covers the nature of wood and its properties, the basics of wood technology, and the woodworker's raw materials"

Joe Angrisani
02-01-2011, 8:44 AM
Thanks George. I found that and other "ad type" results before I posted, but nothing from individuals on SMC or through Google in general. What do you think about the new stuff on composites, adhesives and finishes?

I was looking for a "real" opinion about the updates, not a line or two geared at selling books. Has anybody else seen/read both editions?

David Weaver
02-01-2011, 10:00 AM
What is the price difference? It looks like the 2nd edition is less than $25.

I have the second edition of the hoadley book and the USDA book on wood, and i think between those two books, you can get just about anything you need for domestics and composites and information about using and fastening wood for everything from building a tree house to a jewelry box.

If you're indecisive, just spend the $25. If you don't like it, you can always get most of your money back - it's a good book.

Joe Angrisani
02-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks David. I have borrowed the second edition several times from the library, but have never seen the first. I have had the first edition offered to me for $5. Sometimes with books, the main difference to a second edition appears to an up-to-date cover that will apparently sell better. :)

David Weaver
02-01-2011, 11:02 AM
Well, for $5, it could be worth the risk. If not for any other reason than that you could advise the rest of us. That's a pretty convincing price!

I hear you on the edition vs. edition stuff. In my professional texts that are low volume, the new editions often change pages around just enough so that if you buy a new guide or condensed summary of the text for reference, you can't buy an old edition or you'll never find the references.

Ben Abate
02-01-2011, 4:58 PM
I have the first edition, once in a class I had to use it because it was required reading the Prof and I got into an argument over a test. He was stating that the subject matter on a test was for example on chapters 3 to 6..... well I read those chapters and come test day there was not one question on the test that pertained to the chapters I read......this happened twice before I confonted the Prof about it......here he had the 2nd or whatever edition and I had the first. The only thing we found out were the chapters were rearranged in the 2nd edition compared to the 1st edition. As for how I faired on the tests not too bad because I had been pretty well along in my woodworking to that point and had read multiple books and parts of Understanding Wood at that point. So from what I know there isn't much if any difference....

Gene Thayer
02-01-2011, 8:46 PM
I bought that book a few years ago. Tons of invaluable material on the subject, but, to be honest, it puts me to sleep every time.

Larry Edgerton
02-02-2011, 7:06 AM
I have the first edition, and it is not a book you will sit down and read in one sitting, a bit dry as was mentioned....

Look at it this way, has wood changed since the first edition?

Joe Angrisani
02-02-2011, 8:01 AM
Larry wrote: "Look at it this way, has wood changed since the first edition?"

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
That was sorta my line of thinking! Thanks, everyone.

John Coloccia
02-02-2011, 8:05 AM
I have the first edition, and it is not a book you will sit down and read in one sitting, a bit dry as was mentioned....

Look at it this way, has wood changed since the first edition?

Does the first edition have all the color photographs and things like that?

Dan Hintz
02-02-2011, 8:14 AM
Does anybody know the major differences between the first 1980 edition and the second 2000 edition?
:p All I could think of was "20 more years understanding...", but I figured that wouldn't fly.

John Coloccia
02-02-2011, 8:23 AM
Here's the preface to the 2nd addition. Apparently they've added more color picture, additional pictures, updates on new techniques, etc.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5HBH2ibu-ZwC&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=hoadley+understanding+wood+updates&source=bl&ots=clTNaGshz9&sig=88Ln4YmT3zDIdBsHeuqtLqD8Dug&hl=en&ei=81hJTfP5BIG_gQeHtbRF&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CFUQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Personally, for $25 I would (and did) just get the latest edition.