PDA

View Full Version : Nice wooden Spoke Shave

lowell holmes
01-31-2011, 6:05 PM
I have a nice flat shave. It is a Woodjoy with a 2" cutting length. It really does a nice job and I'm happy with it. There is a minor (I stress minor) annoyance. The shavings tend to pack up in the exit slot on the back side of the shave. I realize technique has a lot to do with this.

A few years ago,at a chair making class, there was a fellow that made his own shaves. There was discussion about this same issue. Some discussion was about his working on the design and improving the exit of the shavings. I think he was playing with the shape of the exit slot on the shave.

When I look at the slot, it appears to me that adding more bevel (small amount) to the inside of the slot might help.

My question is, what am I getting into here? I've thought about waxing the inside of the slot to make it slicker, but I expect little benefit from it if any. If I enlarge the taper on the slot will it help, or will it have a deteriorating effect? I would hate to weaken the structure of the shave by removing too much material.

If I knew where to contact him I would. :)

Jim Paulson
01-31-2011, 8:04 PM
Hi Lowell,

My advice is to contact Glenn and run this situation by him, if you haven't already done so. I have a number of Woodjoy tools and I found that he was responsive in the past. If that doesn't work, it might help if we saw a couple pictures.

Best wishes on the spokeshave situation. I have a number of wooden shaves that I got from Dave Wachnicki of Dave's Shaves and they are awesome tools.

Take care,
Jim