PDA

View Full Version : Tormek T7 or Veritas Mk. II Power Sharpener

Ron Kellison
01-31-2011, 5:39 PM
I am intrigued by the idea of using a power sharpener for my plane irons, chisels and kitchen knives. I'm currently using a Veritas honing jig and a combination of diamond stones in the lower grits, 4000 and 8000 grit waterstones and .5 micron paper on a granite lapping plate. I also believe the old axiom of "Buy the best the first time". Given that both of these units are approximately the same price ($400) which one would get your nod as the best purchase?

Regards,

Ron

keith denbesten
01-31-2011, 6:07 PM
I just got a T-7 and will say the learning curve is pretty short and the results are good. I think with a little practice the results will be great. I spent about 3 hours and did 5 kitchen knifes and 10 chisels.I'll be interested to see what others say about the Veritas system

George Bregar
01-31-2011, 7:34 PM
Me too. Although in my mind the Veritas makes more sense and would work better.

Brad Gobble
01-31-2011, 8:37 PM
I've used wet and oil stones for years, and until my buddy got a T7 I swore by them. HOWEVER, the Tormek is awesome! Trying to con him into letting it live in my shop most of the time ... when i had it i'd just hit the plane / chisel / knife on the leather side before using it and man they stayed sharp.

BTW, I've looked into the Jet, not different enough to get excited. The speed adjustment is a gizmo. Get either, depending on price.

Joe Mioux
01-31-2011, 8:42 PM
I have both.

Veritas and 4000 and higher water stone grit works better for me.