PDA

View Full Version : 32mm system guides for routers

jim goddard
01-31-2011, 4:18 PM
Im looking for first hand input on 32mm system guides designed for routers. Im not interested in the drill guides like Lee Valley etc. So far I've located tools by MEG Tools, Euro 32 Products and festool (the lr32). If there are any others I would be really interested to know about them. I'd like to hear about how they performed, ease of use, strengths/weaknesses, support etc -- both good & bad.

At one time a company whose name I've long forgotten made a nifty 3 drill line boring setup fitted for use w/ a hand drill. It was fast and easy to use. Sure do wish I hadn't sold it now. If they're still making it I'd be interested in the company name and contact infos.

thx

Eric DeSilva
01-31-2011, 6:47 PM
I've got an LR32-SYS and like it, but have nothing for comparison. There is a wealth of material from folks far more experienced than I on that system on the company's user forum. Or the other green forum. Anyway, just google "LR32-SYS" and see the guides that come up.

Greg Portland
01-31-2011, 6:51 PM
The Woodhaven Kurka jig is a very fast LR32 system for shelf pin holes and drawer slides. Below is an article I wrote on various shelf pin jigs but the comments would also apply to LR32 functions.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?156282-Shelf-Pin-Jigs-and-Methods

Bruce Wrenn
01-31-2011, 10:05 PM
I make my own versions of the MEG jig. I have one that does 32 mm, and another that does 1" OC holes. Both do either 5mm holes, or 1/4" holes. Mine even corrects for the rabbeting of the back of the cabinet. Sorry I can't share it right now.

jim goddard
02-01-2011, 8:52 AM
Hi Eric
Does the lr32 come as a operative unit or is it necessary to buy the guide plus an attachment which mates the guide and router? After looking at the festool site its unclear what parts are needed. Also could you give an idea as to cost for all the parts? My local woodcraft doesn't carry the lr32 and they couldn't even give a price.

jim goddard
02-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Holy smokes! I just answered my own question about the lr32....festool stuff sure is over priced!!! I think you could buy a good used line boring machine for what their router and lr32 system cost. Its WAY overpriced for what it is.

I had thought some about making my own guide like Bruce did and may do so altho the MEG products jig seems reasonably priced. Thx I have enough to make a decision.

David Weaver
02-01-2011, 11:13 AM
The Woodhaven Kurka jig is a very fast LR32 system for shelf pin holes and drawer slides. Below is an article I wrote on various shelf pin jigs but the comments would also apply to LR32 functions.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?156282-Shelf-Pin-Jigs-and-Methods

Greg, that gets me a big fat "you don't have access to this page" message. Did it turn into an advertiser bash or something and get pulled, or maybe a festool vs. non-festool battle?

David Weaver
02-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Holy smokes! I just answered my own question about the lr32....festool stuff sure is over priced!!! I think you could buy a good used line boring machine for what their router and lr32 system cost. Its WAY overpriced for what it is.

"but but but...you get a cool 'systainer'"

:p

Terry Liebel
02-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Does anyone have any experience or feedback about this system for routers?

Steve Rowe
02-01-2011, 7:04 PM

I had thought some about making my own guide like Bruce did and may do so altho the MEG products jig seems reasonably priced. Thx I have enough to make a decision.
I had a 29 spindle line boring machine that was a monster. I sold it and replaced it with the Festool LR32 and it was one of my better decisions. I disagree that it is way overpriced for what it is as this can only be concluded after you use it. If it is more than you want to spend, that is a totally different question.

You don't need the entire LR32 hole drilling set in systainer to get set up. I purchased the LR32 hole drilling set ($205), the LR32 guide rail ($81.50) and a pair of clamps ($35) for a total of $321.50. Add the Festool 5mm drilling bit for $35 more. This setup (assuming you have a Festool plunge router) gets you all you need to drill system holes and it is smooth and easy. If the aluminum MEG jig seems reasonably priced at $269, the Festool will be much faster and less tiring for about $50 more. It is faster and less tiring because you don't have to pick the router up and find each hole in the jig to drill individual holes. If you have a lot of system holes to drill, it is worth it just to save the wear and tear on your body.

jim goddard
02-02-2011, 1:49 PM
Can you use anyones router? If not you need to add that into the cost. Also the only guide I could find cost $264. Yes, by your figuring it is less expensive than the MEG/Euro 32. Less tiring Im not sure about...have you used both? I read thru the MEG web site and their advise is to tip the router and slide it. The jig holes are chamfered and 'funnel' the guide into the hole. How does the lr32 work exactly? From the vid you press some sort of rocker mechanism and slide the router up the guide. Exact details seemed unclear.

ETA: Im also not finding a lr32 'hole set' for $205. What exactly is that?

Steve Rowe
02-02-2011, 6:39 PM
Can you use anyones router? If not you need to add that into the cost. Also the only guide I could find cost $264. Yes, by your figuring it is less expensive than the MEG/Euro 32. Less tiring Im not sure about...have you used both? I read thru the MEG web site and their advise is to tip the router and slide it. The jig holes are chamfered and 'funnel' the guide into the hole. How does the lr32 work exactly? From the vid you press some sort of rocker mechanism and slide the router up the guide. Exact details seemed unclear.

ETA: Im also not finding a lr32 'hole set' for $205. What exactly is that?

The hole set is Festool part number 583290. It includes the base that attaches to the router, centering device for aligning base to router, 2 edge guides, stops for positioning guide rail.

I have not used the MEG but have seen it used. I have used a Leigh FMT with a Bosch plunge router to do 126 mortise and an equal number of tenons in one afternoon. Picking the router up that many times to position it in the jig is tiring. If you don't have to pick it all the way up, it is better but you still have to get a collar in the hole.

With the LR32, the router slides on the rail that has holes on 32mm centers. The rocker mechanism actually disengages a spring loaded pin that drops into the guide rail holes locking the position for drilling holes. No lifting of the router is required, just plunge it. You quickly pick up the timing and can drill a series of holes rapidly with little effort. The baseplate is drilled for attachment to Festool router bases. It could probably be made to work with another brand but I am not aware of anyone ever doing so. Adding a Festool router to the mix does change the economics but if you go this route, you will likely find the Festool will be your go to router anyway.
Good luck with your decision.
Steve

Jim McFarland
02-03-2011, 12:18 PM
<snip>The baseplate is drilled for attachment to Festool router bases. It could probably be made to work with another brand <snip>

I use a Makita RP1101 with a replacement baseplate (1/4" acrylic) drilled to fit the Festool guide plate (p/n 494340). Festool's OF1010 router is fastened to the guide plate using centering mandrel & clamping knobs. I tried these clamping knobs on the Makita and fastening was a bit "iffy" so I used a custom replacement base instead. Festool clamping knobs might work w/o further effort on other router types. I'm not home this week so no photos but the custom baseplate isn't much to look at anyway.

jim goddard
02-04-2011, 2:57 PM
Thx Steve...

Greg Portland
02-04-2011, 4:38 PM
Greg, that gets me a big fat "you don't have access to this page" message. Did it turn into an advertiser bash or something and get pulled, or maybe a festool vs. non-festool battle?
David, no bashing, the article just got "posted" to the main page: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/content.php?137-Shelf-Pin-Jigs-and-Methods