PDA

View Full Version : Sunnyside Up (AKA "a little something")

David DeCristoforo
01-31-2011, 3:11 PM
We have to move this month, starting in a couple of days. Moving the shop will be pretty simple since it's in a tent and we're only going a couple of blocks. But then there's "all the rest of our stuff" which is going to take some time so I don't think I'll have much time for anything else for the next few weeks. But I really wanted to "make something" before I get into the moving thing. I have a couple of things roughed out that show some promise but I'm not going to be able to get back to them for several weeks. So my "something" had to be fairly simple.

I had this small piece of maple burl "left over" from another "something" so I turned a little "flower form" and popped it onto this stem and there it is. One "little something"! Now I gotta go out and start packing.

180683 180682

David E Keller
01-31-2011, 3:17 PM
That's cool! I love the coloring of the pedestal, and the void on the upper piece is a show stopper. Best wishes for a painless move(if there is such a thing).

bob svoboda
01-31-2011, 3:22 PM
Very nice something. Love the colors and the form is great. As for moving....better you than me.

Jim Burr
01-31-2011, 3:30 PM
Glad it held together David. Everything looks really cool. The colors are great, foot and stem look complimentary to the flower. Flower colors look fun! Good piece to move on!

Bob Bergstrom
01-31-2011, 3:36 PM
That ogee curve is dead on. Beautiful balance of the the two curves from end to end. I envy your artistic talent with color and airbrushing technique.

dan carter
01-31-2011, 3:37 PM
Very nice. Good luck on packing, moving, etc. Maybe the move means a new shop instead of your tent.

John Keeton
01-31-2011, 4:26 PM
Great work, David!! I love your new pedestal style, and the flower in this one is very well done. What wood did you use for the pedestal?

Just an excellent piece!

David DeCristoforo
01-31-2011, 4:30 PM
"What wood did you use for the pedestal?"

It's a piece of osage orange left over from a stick my son gave me for my last b'day. That's how I decided how tall it should be!:D It really did color up nicely though...

Alan Trout
01-31-2011, 4:44 PM
David,

I really like how you faded the color on that pedestal. Pretty cool.

Alan

Ted Calver
01-31-2011, 4:57 PM
Lovely piece. Have fun moving...my back is having sympathy pains.

Faust M. Ruggiero
01-31-2011, 4:59 PM
The new airbrush is paying dividends. Of course, the turning was lovely to begin with. Hope the move goes smoothly.
faust

Tim Thiebaut
01-31-2011, 6:29 PM
Wow, to me this is just stunning.

Nate Davey
01-31-2011, 6:41 PM
Wonderful piece David. Out here in NC we have this thing called "gravity", maybe you've heard of it??? :D Your piece, especially with the large void seems to defy it. I'm not typically a big fan of "colored" pieces but this one is spectacular.

Curt Fuller
01-31-2011, 7:16 PM
David, I love these pedestals you're doing. The flower is just what you say it is, a piece of left over maple burl. But the shape, color, and sitting on that beautiful pedestal make for another great piece.

Somewhere you've probably explained in more detail the "tent" shop. I'm guessing there's an interesting story there.

Marc Himes
01-31-2011, 7:26 PM
Excellent turning and I really like the color.

Marc Himes

Baxter Smith
01-31-2011, 7:37 PM
Great job coloring both flower and pedestal. Really like the pedestal shape on this one. Less gaudy/busy(?) but far more elegant IMO than some of your earlier ones.

Kathy Marshall
01-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Very Very Nice!. I really like the pedestal and how you faded the color, but then I really like the flower form also. Great piece all around.

Ron Stadler
01-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Wow David, I really like this one. the coloring and shape is just remarkable. Have to find out how you dyed it like that.:) Just a gorgeous piece.

Jon Nuckles
01-31-2011, 10:39 PM
That is really pretty. Pack those skinny pedestals with care!

David DeCristoforo
02-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanx to all for the comments. To answer a few questions:

The coloring on the pedestal was done with dyes. Yellow over the "orangish" color of the wood. Then red, purple and black in that order. The airbrush works great! The body was just dyed with "solid" colors applied with a brush. There just didn't seem to be enough wood to get too carried away with it!

As to "gravity", yes, we do have that "out here". But the funny thing is, this is probably one of the most stable pieces of this type I have made. The base is larger in relation to the size of the cup and the height which is "only" a bit over seven inches. So it is not nearly as "tippy" as you might think.

Tent shop: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?141242-My-New-Shop…&highlight=

"…Less gaudy/busy(?)…than some of your earlier ones…"

It's funny but my "earlier ones" already look crude and clunky to me! Well, maybe not funny... I guess that'e just how it goes.

Steve Schlumpf
02-01-2011, 12:22 PM
David - I really like this one! Great form on the pedestal and I really like all the bright colors!

Hope your move goes smoothly! It's nice to settle into a new place but the actual moving process sure gets old in a hurry!

David DeCristoforo
02-01-2011, 12:25 PM
"...the actual moving process sure gets old in a hurry..."

I just started today and it's already old!!!

Richard Madden
02-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Hope the moving goes as smooth as possible. Our last move (over 25 yrs. ago) almost resulted in divorce. Well, not really...but the crap we had accumulated sure surprised me!! And then I think about the "stuff" we have accumulated while here...not sure what I'd do if we had to move again. Really like this piece. The colors, the "flower", the stem, everything fits and looks great!!

Jon McElwain
02-01-2011, 4:54 PM
One of my favorite pieces of yours to date! That said, I really liked the ogee base that you have used on some of your previous turnings. The Japanese Night one, Too Tall, Another Tall Skinny Thing, and others had this feature that I found appealing. Thanks for the post, really pretty work!

Cathy Schaewe
02-01-2011, 5:36 PM
That's really cool.
I'm stuck on both the tent-as-shop concept (will it ever stop snowing?) and the "my son gave me a stick for my birthday" concept. I wish that had been an option when my dad was around ...

Scott Hackler
02-01-2011, 5:47 PM
David, I really like this newer style pedestal that you've been using. The flow is superb from the foot leading up to the form. The flower part is really nice and I like the use of the dyes to achieve the color scheme. Really nice. My only (very minor) critque would be the transiition from pedestal to form. For some reason the "ball" detail doesn't work for me.

But that is really minor. Again, that stem design is great. It gives the curve illusion of pouring a thick liquid and is right on the money.

David DeCristoforo
02-01-2011, 7:32 PM
"For some reason the "ball" detail doesn't work for me..."

"...I really liked the ogee base that you have used on some of your previous turnings..."

I'm not sure how the ogee base will work with this stem design. I'm playing around a bit with it and I will try one with an ogee base and see how it looks. I also tend to agree about the ball. This seems to want to be a very simple, clean lined shape. I don't really even like the flair at the top of the stem itself. The last one was a simple line that just rounded a bit at the top and I think it worked a lot better. I've been drawing these out but they never look quite the same as when you actually get them made. But they do not represent a major investment in time so I can afford to try some different things. After I move that is!

Kieran Kammerer
02-01-2011, 8:09 PM
Nice work as usual. If I was you, I would sell a few of your beautiful pieces, take the proceeds, pay for movers, sit back and enjoy a cool one. Kieran

David DeCristoforo
02-01-2011, 9:50 PM
"...sell a few of your beautiful pieces, take the proceeds, pay for movers..."

Now that's an idea I like! Of course, I might grow a pretty long beard waiting for those things to sell!

Bernie Weishapl
02-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Really a excellent turning David. Good luck on your move.

Roland Martin
02-02-2011, 7:36 AM
That really is "something", David. I like everything about this turning, really nice. Take care of your back with the move.